Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:11 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
There have been several studies out there, if you care to read them, that show that mask have been pretty effective in certain situations (Starbucks infection, bus infection, airline infections in March versus airline infections now).

The masks do contain they heavier droplets that come out with a cough, sneeze, or talking.

But the data is correct in that a mask (with the exception of an N95 respirator) cannot contain an aerosol which is about as close to "air" as you can get and still be considered a particle.

That does not mean that this is a binary situation: on/off; black/white; yes/no; mask work/masks don't work. There is something in the middle or something close to perfect.

Believe what you will, I think I'll continue to wear my silly mask and if I can block 80% of the viral load, I'll be the better for it.

What they don't tell you is that aerosolized particles not coming directly from someone's cough, sneeze etc are likely to be so few that the viral load wouldn't be enough to actually make most people sick.

Now, if you're in a room with someone sneezing, that's a big difference.

But just walking around outside or large indoor spaces, the aerosolized particles drift and separate pretty quickly. They don't hover together like a swarm or cloud of Covid.

They also die fairly quickly in this form also, especially outside in sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 01:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-mainah View Post
As many of us have been saying cloth masks, bandanas do nothing. Even N95 masks are only good for an hour definitely no more than a few hours and people are wearing these for days. Not sanitizing them etc...

The masks are just pacifiers.
Then people should lose weight as many need to do and stop eating so much junk food. Start regularly exercising, too. Or would the anti maskers be opposed to people doing that as well?

Old 09-22-2020, 01:13 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then people should lose weight as many need to do and stop eating so much junk food. Start regularly exercising, too. Or would the anti maskers be opposed to people doing that as well?
Not "doing that", but rather "being compelled" to do that by government is the issue.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
For those who don’t think masks work — watch this short video where they talk, sing, cough with and without a mask on into Petri dishes.
The results will shock you. And these aren’t even N95 masks, they look like loose surgical masks.

https://www.facebook.com/NewsWithKev...5706771159373/
But it only proved they're effective against spreading bacteria, not viruses. So, yes, wear a mask, if you got strep throat.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

They are trying so hard to milk this in our Democratic county. Cases start to drop, and they are giving free tests to people without symptoms, and they upping the contact tracing, publishing the clusters and rather than headlining with the number of current cases, they use the county total since March. The Public Health Officer was so busy snooping constantly around the small businesses in town that she forgot about the nursing homes, so guess what drove the total deaths here?

People are waking up, and taking back "normal" one person at a time.
But a high percentage of covid deaths have happened in nursing homes in every state.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Masks are not doing anything except making everyone look foolish walking around stores like masquerade part invitees. Good luck on that vaccine. You are going to need it.
Then explain why I don't ever read of people complaining they came down with bad cases of COVID-19, even though they always wore masks when indoors with people around?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-22-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-22-2020, 01:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Uh huh, because N95 manufacturing, along with a ton of other manufacturing of finished goods, moved to Asia over the last 3 decades...prior to 2017. And who was called the economy killer for his tariffs on China, and who was doing the loudest accusing?

If you can't find N95 masks domestically, don't blame the guy who has been criticized for trying to on-shore our manufacturing away from China.

Because it's true?

Prior to the Trump administration, starting in the 90s, manufacturing was moving overseas. Trump wasn't anywhere near the government until Jan 2017.

In 2009, the N95 stockpile was depleted because of the H1N1 thing, and budget considerations inside the stockpile budget was reprioritized and the N95 stockpile was never replenished. Now, Trump does like to claim the cupboard was left bare by Obama, and he did have 3 years to stock it since he was inaugurated, but Obama had 7 years as well.

Bottom line, hindsight paints Obama worse than Trump where that stockpile is concerned. Don't blame me, I am simply reporting the facts.
Trump has had 9 months since the pandemic started to use the Defense Production Act to manufacture supplies to fight the pandemic. Did FDR complain that Hoover had left the military cupboard bare when WWII started?

Old 09-22-2020, 01:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Trump has had 9 months since the pandemic started to use the Defense Production Act to manufacture supplies to fight the pandemic.
Which he did in April: Trump slams 3M over foreign respirator sales, invokes DPA

Pay attention to 3M's response in that linked article, btw.

And he invoked the DPA on GM to make ventilators prior to the order to 3M on masks.

Revise history much?

EDIT - and once again, I love the TDS sufferers who, using any reason to criticize Trump, take his reticence to go Full Tyrant with the Defense Production Act as a sign of failure. Everyone got that? He's the worst tyrant in history, but is a failure because in this instance he wasn't tyrannical enough. I love partisans...their hypocrisy has no limits.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Partying with the Taliban is a privilege I reserve only for those who advocate a mask mandate on a permanent or eternally recurring basis. If I could ask Biden one question, it would be what is the exit strategy?
You can ask Biden and he will get a very blank stare of his face because he does not have one. Truthfully I don't think anyone has one (including the CDC) because things keep changing.
F the Taliban....blow every damn one of them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
No he is not. Just playing politics and both sides.

Twice. Once months ago and again in the past month. Biden has said he thinks everyone should be required to wear mask. Then when questioned a day later he said would not make it a federal mandate.
Actually this last time. Biden said he wanted to require everyone to wear mask. Then the very next day Camel Harris said he would not make it a requirement.
They did not want Biden looking foolish again and changing his mind a second time. So got Harris to speak for him. Biden like most Libs always get in trouble when they try to think.
No matter how you slice it if he's saying he thinks he can execute an EO to make it mandatory. Yet his running mate () is trying to "walk it back.

Gosh..if those two are this big of a hot mess express now, imagine how that administration is going to be.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Which he did in April: Trump slams 3M over foreign respirator sales, invokes DPA

Pay attention to 3M's response in that linked article, btw.

And he invoked the DPA on GM to make ventilators prior to the order to 3M on masks.

Revise history much?

EDIT - and once again, I love the TDS sufferers who, using any reason to criticize Trump, take his reticence to go Full Tyrant with the Defense Production Act as a sign of failure. Everyone got that? He's the worst tyrant in history, but is a failure because in this instance he wasn't tyrannical enough. I love partisans...their hypocrisy has no limits.
I read 3M's response. The most interesting sentence was, 3M "said it secured approval from China to export to the U.S. 10 million N95 respirators manufactured by 3M in that country."

Try this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...top-table-main

This discussion is not about ventilators but the fact is, if Trump could convince GM to make ventilators, why couldn't he convince another company to manufacture N95 respirator mask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies