Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM

19,299 posts, read 17,179,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We have Mormon and a Muslim senators. Now if she was a Muslim? Ok with that ? Hmm
But were talking SCOTUS and the poster stated "If scripture also backs it up, so what?" My posting is questioning how they would feel if she was other than a mainstream Christian faith, if she quoted an LDS or Muslim scripture/writing. Bet it would go over like a lead s**t burger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,650,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But were talking SCOTUS and the poster stated "If scripture also backs it up, so what?" My posting is questioning how they would feel if she was other than a mainstream Christian faith, if she quoted an LDS or Muslim scripture/writing. Bet it would go over like a lead s**t burger....
I haven't read the Koran, and I don't know what it says about whatever.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some text in there saying you shouldn't murder people, shouldn't steal, etc.

If there is... so what?

"Don't murder", "don't steal" etc. are good ideas and should be part of our laws. Regardless of whether they are in this religious book, but not in that religious book etc.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,650,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you know whats funny? my concern about Kavanaugh was that his judicial philosophy was going to be too moderate like the guy he clerked for... As for his past, i think his confirmation hearings proved he didn't have a shady one.

he has already proven that he is not a radical partisan
Nothing particularly radical about upholding and obeying the Constitution, as Amy Barrett wants to do.

Except, of course, in the eyes of the usual fanatic Democrats.

Last edited by Roboteer; 09-26-2020 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-26-2020, 06:52 PM

24,775 posts, read 9,563,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I hear she identifies as a native american asexual so that should help her with the left
I self identify as a white man. All I need now is a gofundme to pay for skin whitening and hair perms and I’ll be good to go.

I want to thank the left for believing in my self-identity. Screw being constrained to my natural birth race.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,220,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Barrett's response was measured but on point: "If you're asking whether I take my Catholic faith seriously, I do, though I would stress that my personal church affiliation or my religious belief would not bear on the discharge of my duties as a judge."
Catholics are Liberals. You understand that, right?

If you want to know if she's telling the truth, you just have to read the judicial opinions she's authored.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 28 days ago)

35,772 posts, read 18,115,470 times
Here's a review of some of her notable recent rulings. Some of the statements are a little hard to follow and could be worded more clearly, with a little more detail on the implications of the ruling.

Still, informative.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/na...0-e150b842c10e

Old 09-27-2020, 10:15 PM

39,904 posts, read 26,600,870 times
I hope Barrett does a much better job of focusing on the law and the constitution, and less letting her personal opinions and desires determine her judgements, than her predecessor did.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,284,447 times
She’s lying her ass off, but she’s as qualified as anyone else to sit on the court.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,081,588 times
Such hysteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm so disgusted by Trump supporters that I hope they nominate her and she goes full right wing, ending abortion, ending government handouts and every other thing that Trump supporters love to scream about but actually do themselves. Wait until their daughters are forced to carry their abuser's child to term while being forced to pray in school. Give them a belly full of every thing they claim to want.

It's like evangelicals that said they cared about the Bible until Trump came along. They never cared, it was all a ruse in their pursuit for power. As soon as a sleazy thrice married, multi-bankruptcy billionaire that publicly cheated on his wife but promises they will have power comes along, the Bible got tossed.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM

8,964 posts, read 2,574,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hope Barrett does a much better job of focusing on the law and the constitution, and less letting her personal opinions and desires determine her judgements, than her predecessor did.
Exactly, which is why she's such a good pick. I don't completely agree with her, but I have more reason to suspect her rulings will be based on the law and the constitution as opposed to some ideology she wants pushed and to me that's the most important thing. Being the exact opposite of RBG is what EVERY judge should strive to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies