Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 PM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
All the Covid-19 unconstitutional restrictions, DACA!!!!!
Do you really think that the Supreme Court would interfere with the hysterical "emergency powers" - most of which are being wielded at the state or even local level?

To end these restrictions, we need legislative action; vote for leaders who unambiguously take an anti-restrictive stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 07:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That is true, and thanks for that, but don't you think the next logical move would be to criminalize abortion? It doesn't seem a stretch to me that this is the natural progression if Roe v. Wade is vacated by the Supremes.
First, I do not believe that most Republicans in Congress would want to push for a federal law banning abortion. Republicans tend to be federalists, and this is a subject that is best regulated at the state level. And you know that Democrats in Congress would not support it in any case.

Even if there was a desire to push for such a federal law, it would require 60 votes in the Senate to pass cloture. This is just not going to happen.

To the extent that abortion is criminalized after Roe is overturned, that will happen on a state by state basis. And I think you would be surprised how few states passed laws rigidly outlawing abortion in all cases. In fact, that number might possibly be zero, as nearly all states would have provisions relating to rape, incest and in case the life of the mother is at risk.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
First, I do not believe that most Republicans in Congress would want to push for a federal law banning abortion. Republicans tend to be federalists, and this is a subject that is best regulated at the state level. And you know that Democrats in Congress would not support it in any case.

Even if there was a desire to push for such a federal law, it would require 60 votes in the Senate to pass cloture. This is just not going to happen.

To the extent that abortion is criminalized after Roe is overturned, that will happen on a state by state basis. And I think you would be surprised how few states passed laws rigidly outlawing abortion in all cases. In fact, that number might possibly be zero, as nearly all states would have provisions relating to rape, incest and in case the life of the mother is at risk.
Very well stated, thanks for that.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I agree. Trump's federal and SCOTUS appointments will have positive, long-lasting impacts long after Trump is gone in 2025.
What impacts? Like giving Christians the right to discriminate against anybody they want based on their religious beliefs?

Old 09-22-2020, 08:44 PM

13,612 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. reversing the PA court decision to extend voting beyond election day

2. re-address discrimination in hiring (quotas)

3. re-eval Obamacare and declare it an unconstitutional tax

4. overturn any reparations acts (there are no financial damages) by radical legislatures/courts

5. re-affirm private property rights over aggressive EPA "legislation"

6. reverse the Hughes Act as being unconstitutional

7. review the legality of class action suits against manufacturers (modern piracy by the trial lawyers association)

That's just off the top of my head. It would also protect against new radical legislation from the bench in lower courts, which has plagued the US.
You could have a 9-0 conservative court. What makes you think they would do any of the above? Like Roe v Wade, it ain’t going anywhere.

1. The Constitution leaves it to states to determine how and when to choose electors. They don’t even have to hold an election, under the Constitution.

3. they DID declare Obamacare fines a tax. That’s what made it constitutional.

4. Relax, there won’t be any reparations.

6. The Hughes act signed by conservative icon Ronald Reagan?

7. Where in the Constitution does it ban class action suits?

Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
I can understand that. Personally, I have no problem with a conservative S.C., with one caveat: No overturning Roe v. Wade.
That would just be scratching the surface. You must be pretty fortunate that it's all that you have to be concerned with.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,648,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Do you really think that the Supreme Court would interfere with the hysterical "emergency powers" - most of which are being wielded at the state or even local level?

To end these restrictions, we need legislative action; vote for leaders who unambiguously take an anti-restrictive stance.
In all honesty yes. Look at what happened in Pennsylvania? A Federal Judge just struck down Gov. Wolf's orders. He is trying to appeal, but after RBG's death and possibly a sixth conservative justice, no way is SCOTUS going to overturn that. I highly believe they will with a conservative majority. State of Emergency can only last for a certain amount of time.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:15 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Not if it is illegal federally. What happens when the religious whack-a-loons decide to send in the Feds, ala Portland, to shut down abortion clinics? Of course that will happen, to say nothing of the armed militias who will terrorize the clinics if they continue to operate.
Striking down Roe doesn't make abortion illegal.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It's 4-4 right now.

John Roberts is a turncoat.
You mean he’s a professional judge?

Not some two bit political hack you want him to be who toes the line set down by all the ignorant spouting out this person is a rino, or that person is a rino, because they deviate from the line to be toed by just a hair and OMG! somebody has two brain cells of their own and uses them is heresy!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
That would just be scratching the surface. You must be pretty fortunate that it's all that you have to be concerned with.
I get that, there are a plethora of other concerns I have with a conservative S.C., namely environmental destruction, to name only one. Workers rights, what few remain, will completely evaporate. Those who have no rights will be the biggest cheerleaders of this erosion while corporations will assume the mantle of actual leadership in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies