Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Charge Louisville "Riot U-Haul" Renter With Sedition?
Trace the plates, question the rental outfit, indict and convict? 64 94.12%
It's Part of Free Speech, Don't Chill Speech 2 2.94%
Do Nothing 1 1.47%
Other opinions, please post, or just post anyway 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM

11,933 posts, read 5,897,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
For defense. Have you not been following the conversation?
And exactly who are YOU afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 09:01 AM

30,423 posts, read 23,880,742 times
Quote:
I like how people here are quick to decide what someone else "needs" for protection.

Do you make the same arguments about "assault rifles"?

I don't. So long as whatever they're carrying isn't illegal, more power to them. Think I'll go wipe down my AR-10 now.
Peacefully walking down the street, and peacefully yelling your chants, and peacefully holding up your signs does not require a shield - even when you try to disguise your obvious shield as a "sign". The police are not going to beat you down if you're peacefully protesting in this way before curfew.

As was pointed out, once curfew is on, and you defy the rules, and people start throwing things at the cops, escalating things, no longer being peaceful, you're no longer "peacefully protesting".

You don't even know what an assault rifle is, and trying to compare people attacking others or the police, and/or not following orders to someone inside their home, minding their own business, and dealing with a break in, is pathetic.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM

2,923 posts, read 983,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Guilt bt association?

Have you seen this list of POTUS Trump's team that are convicted felons?
What does this have to do with protesting? If you can't do anything but deflect just admit i am right.

btw trump isnt claiming to be a choir boy like this protesters are.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:07 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,452,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And exactly who are YOU afraid of?
None of your business, frankly. Just like it's not up to you to decide what I do or don't "need" regarding defense of me and mine.

Maybe I'm afraid of zombies, maybe I'm afraid of my neighbor, maybe I'm afraid of ANTIFA. Maybe I'm not afraid of anything at all. It's irrelevant.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Peacefully walking down the street, and peacefully yelling your chants, and peacefully holding up your signs does not require a shield - even when you try to disguise your obvious shield as a "sign". The police are not going to beat you down if you're peacefully protesting in this way before curfew.

As was pointed out, once curfew is on, and you defy the rules, and people start throwing things at the cops, escalating things, no longer being peaceful, you're no longer "peacefully protesting".

You don't even know what an assault rifle is, and trying to compare people attacking others or the police, and/or not following orders to someone inside their home, minding their own business, and dealing with a break in, is pathetic.
As a former 11B paratrooper, I know precisely what an "assault rifle" is. Try again.

I'm not comparing anything at all, except for people's penchant to decide what other people do and do need for defense of themselves and their property. I made no comparison between criminals (that's precisely what "people attacking others or police" are) and anyone else.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,757,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Someone paid for the U-Haul rental full of riot gear (link) (video in linked article). I'd like to see who that was. Maybe that would make an interesting sedition investigation and arrest. Potentially Federal too. And Federal courts rarely acquit.

Let's do some investigating. Obviously the poor ghetto youth have nothing to fear as, frankly, what good does incarcerating them really do? Unless they have rap sheets a mile long, none, since no judge will or should impose a lengthy sentence. And if they have rap sheets it's another charge or conviction piled on top of others. I would like to see some wealthy families squirm as their spoiled, "virtuous" sons and daughters face consequences.
Long rap sheet doesn't even matter. The shooters in Seattle that killed one and injured several others had over 120 priors between the two.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:43 AM

35,391 posts, read 17,285,338 times
Quote:
So, no peaceful protesters have ever been tear-gassed? You sure about that?

I don't think they were handing out "gas masks" were they? I didn't see it.
If people go to a demonstration, even peacefully, where violence is foreseeable they assume that risk. Anyone following these demonstrations nationally either knows the risk or they are incredibly stupid.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 AM

24,102 posts, read 15,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
crone - quit letting your hate for Trump take this off topic - you know better.
You know what? I do not hate Trump. when he first started running this time, we actually paid for trump bumper stickers and put them on the cars.

In fact, were it not for Barr and McConnell, I could probably live with Trump just fine. And I think he knows exactly what he's doing instead of being a nitwit.

You can find where I have said many times he is an unrecognized by the adults in his life ADHD/dyslexic which accounts for the tv instead of reading.

I also recognize the difference between a movement and a controlled organization. I'm old enough to remember our very one FBI and CIA doing really ****ty things and blaming it somebody else.

Not all the BLM protestors are criminals, rioters, and looters. And I can support law enforcement and not support rogue cops. I just want them better trained.

Taking a U Haul fill of protective gear is not against the law even if I do not like the group. Had it been full of guns, etc. that' s another story.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If people go to a demonstration, even peacefully, where violence is foreseeable they assume that risk. Anyone following these demonstrations nationally either knows the risk or they are incredibly stupid.
Which is completely beside the point.

Is it illegal to carry those sorts of "shields" at a protest? If not, it's not up to you or me to dictate what someone else "needs" for their defense. Exactly the same idea as no one telling me what I "need" for my defense regarding firearms, and I hear that silly argument over and over and over again - "No one needs an AR/AK/whatever for home defense.".

This is the exact same spurious argument, it's just being made by the other team.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:37 PM

11,933 posts, read 5,897,507 times
Quote:
None of your business, frankly. Just like it's not up to you to decide what I do or don't "need" regarding defense of me and mine.

Maybe I'm afraid of zombies, maybe I'm afraid of my neighbor, maybe I'm afraid of ANTIFA. Maybe I'm not afraid of anything at all. It's irrelevant.
LOL - deflect because any answer you give will show what a hypocrite you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies