Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 04:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Lies? Biden said it is his first act as president. Please stop with your lies! He is going to make all the illegals citizens. Then he is going to give them all health care. That will collapse our health care system. Brilliant move. Then we are all stuck under single payer. People have zero clue of what they are voting for! Biden is an unmitigated disaster!!!
Show me one legitimate source that shows that Biden has EVER stated that he will make all illegals citizens. Single payer (usually supplemented by some form of private insurance) seems to work in most of the world's other democracies. There is no reason it won't work in the U.S. because currently the U.S. spends the most of any other country on healthcare and get mediocre results compared to those countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 04:15 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Enact the DPA for mask and ventilator production. Have European customs scrutiny sooner. Not second guess the scientists. Why is this so hard to understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The question was, and still is, what would Biden have done differently?

If you believe Biden would have used the DPA before Trump did, when would he have done so?

Which companies would have been involved?

What would have been produced faster because the act was initiated?

As for "the scientists," which ones were second-guessed and about what?

Did "the scientists" disagree with other scientists and/or change their position at some point?

If "the scientists" can't be second-guessed, what would be the correct course of action when they disagree or one or more reverse their opinion?

Maybe this will help...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...production-act

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...andemic-2020-7

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coro...es-so-far.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/b...-shortage.html

Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business. In 2014, with no ventilators having been delivered to the government, Covidien executives told officials at the biomedical research agency that they wanted to get out of the contract, according to three former federal officials. The executives complained that it was not sufficiently profitable for the company.

The Obama FTC rubber stamped the merger while Fauci fiddled and Slow Joe took a nap.

Thank God we didn't actually need the extra ventilators!
Quote:
Trump really didn't use the Defense Production Act (DPA) except meat plants and that was largely done at the bequest of the CEOs of meat companies such as Tyson. Trump flirted with forcing General Motors (GM) to make ventilators with the DPA but relented when they finally did officially commit to it. I think Trump flirted with it with others but GM was the major one Trump threatened with.

Trump looked in late March/early April to go after GM, so anytime in February or March would have made some difference. I think part of the reason scientists including Fauci disagreed on masks and didn't say we needed to wear face coverings in public into April, was due to not enacting the DPA. Lots of American sold goods are made or have parts made in China, let alone other countries in the world. I have long argued with people that American products are outpriced for many Americans and for others underpriced compared to detailed craftsman (like Italian leather boots for instance.)

I cannot comment on specific companies making ventilators. I don't keep up on who produces what since I don't work in the industry. I don't think many do except if you are in the medical field or work for a company that usually produces them as well. So this is an unfair question to ask.

I am sure scientists disagreed on what we should do. Many didn't realize we actually needed masks early on. This is despite it being general practice in Asia. I honestly think part of this was related due to the issue of the DPA not being enacted for mask production since we had supply issue of N95 and even surgical masks. Many companies including Hanes and Port Authority have produced cloth masks in the months following and we also have seen CopperFit and other fitness apparel companies help with producing gaiters too. I feel the DPA asking companies to produce sooner could have helped a little bit. I think as mask orders rolled out, there was still some availability issues for many people that weren't already wearing masks. I know the weekend after the county and city announced them, many people didn't wear masks, about half because they didn't have one.

Whether Trump used the DPA to force these companies to help out or opted to use it as leverage while leaning on them is probably immaterial since most were already making their companies available.

The companies are adding thousands of units of new capacity with a significantly expanded supply chain capable of supporting high volume production. GM is contributing its resources at cost. GM will also begin manufacturing FDA-cleared Level 1 surgical masks at its Warren, Michigan manufacturing facility. Production will begin next week and within two weeks ramp up to 50,000 masks per day, with the potential to increase to 100,000 per day.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...-6-kokomo.html

If the Obama FTC had refused to allow the Covidien-Newport merger until the ventilator contract was fulfilled, ventilators would have never been an issue in 2020, no?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...al-Instruments

Early on, I made two masks from t-shirts and a thin elastic band.

It worked well enough that I could go to the grocery store.

At the time, lots of other people were wearing similar home-made masks.

Today, I wear N-95 masks, but a lot of other people are still wearing cloth masks.

It doesn't seem to make a difference which one is used because spread of the virus has slowed dramatically.

As for China, they are the beginning and end of this whole ****ing fiasco.

The less we have to do with China the better.

We shouldn't depend on any other nation for vital supplies of medicines and medical equipment, but I really don't see China Joe making the situation better.

He's been doing a lot of barking, but when he was in a position to act, he did nothing.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:21 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,365,340 times
This is yet another propaganda post from democrats trying to erode support for Trump.
Note it doesnt argue in favor of democrat policies, because their platform is abhorrent to conservatives.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:25 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,365,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
https://imgbox.com/3WwiQAm3

Make America Great Again
How many of those countries have had 5 months of riots, looting, arson... oh excuse me, peaceful protests?

Thats the main factor, stop blaming Trump.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
There are Libertarians for Biden groups already. So that claim fails.

I'm a Libertarian leaning Conservative.

The whole reason that the Libertarian party can't get off the ground is because their members are too fragmented in their philosophy.

And the fact that there are people who call themselves Libertarian who have started a group to support Biden just proves what a flustercluck the party really is.

A "Libertarian" supporting Biden (Harris) is like a turkey supporting Thanksgiving.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And yet, somehow, he has facilitated normalization of relations between Israel and what, three countries now? How many did Obama facilitate? How many would Biden facilitate?

Interception....and HE SCORES!!!

Old 09-28-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I'm not sure if CD just skews alt-right, but I know plenty of republicans who have Biden signs in their front yard. Joe Biden is most assuredly more conservative than DJT. If you can't see that then you probably shouldn't be discussing politics with anyone.

Hows the weather on your planet?

Old 09-28-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Harris still didn't kill tens of thousands of not hundred of thousands of Americans like Trump has by mishandling the pandemic.

100% unprovable opinion.

Even Fauci is on record saying that Trump follows all recommendations from him.and the experts.

And about half of all the Covid-19 deaths in America are directly related to Cuomo and other Dems sending Covid patients into nursing homes.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Where is the proof that Biden will make 20 million illegal aliens US citizens, let alone as "his first act"?
Biden said he would make them all legal.. could be his second or third act behind of making DC a state , along with Puerto Rico and other territories, more democrats voting , or behind the packing of the Supreme Court with at least two more liberal justices to give the democrats complete power , or behind taking our guns or bullets away or both. Getting rid of the Electoral system and replacing it with the popular vote after making 20 million illegals all US citizens. Of course our borders will be trampled but after all the democrats just created for themselves a one party system. Hello totalitarian Marxist Government.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:38 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
https://imgbox.com/3WwiQAm3

Make America Great Again
So it's all about the effing virus the Democrats and Media has politicized? What a crock. Idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies