Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 11:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And prescription meds. For many Canadians, prescription meds aren't covered by Canadian national health care.

Clearly false as 2/3 of Canadians buy or earn (via employers) private supplemental health insurance.

More info on how dissatisfied Canadians are with their national health care:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ic-health-poll
I read that and I don't see evidence of this widespread 'dissatisfaction'. What I saw was that 2 out of 3 respondents IN MONTREAL want greater involvement by the private health sector and 68% of respondents IN MONTREAL were unhappy with wait times.

Canadian Healthcare is managed regionally. Each province or territory administers its own system with varying levels of coverage and differing policies regarding out of hospital prescription drugs. All regional health systems cover in hospital prescribed drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
What's your estimate of the time-frame of when Canadians trade their healthcare system for the USA's healthcare system?

Well, since a large source of funding for medical research in the United States is about to disappear (thanks to Trump's prescription drug price EO), countries like Canada will have to help pay for development of new drugs, so we can expect health care in Canada to become much more expensive in the near future. Next up: an EO limiting liability for incidents where rare side effects come to fruition. Not only will this allow many currently prohibited drugs to become available in the US, it will level the playing field a bit and force other countries to start paying their fair share. Liberals don't seem to understand that many of the things they want come at a price. For example, they want globalism, but also claim to care about the environment and human rights. They can't seem to grasp that countries like China and India literally crap all over the environment and treat workers horribly - things that are generally not tolerated in the United States. We can't possibly compete with that. Pick your poison: You can't have globalism and claim to support human rights and the environment. We can't dictate how other countries treat their workers or the environment.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:33 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
What's your estimate of the time-frame of when Canadians trade their healthcare system for the USA's healthcare system?
they will when they share 2000 miles of land border with mexico

Old 10-04-2020, 11:46 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Class warfare, so classy !!!

BTW, I'm not the President and I wouldn't expected to be treated as if I were !!!

I sure wouldn't want to be treated like a President if the President was China Joe !!!

I wouldn't like being locked in the basement,
and fear violence from some authority if I don't wear a mask to bed !!!
I knew this was coming.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:47 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
You gotta remember Trump is his worshippers' annointed KING. The KING is always allowed best of everything. Solid gold toilets, caviar on a black truffle, whatever. He lays back and barks "hey you their minion, peel me a grape..."

My notion is that elected leader should live like the lowest of low in society and get same health care. You know that ancient 10x50 mobile home with the 2x2 studs and aluminum wiring and wind blowing through it in winter. Health care means going to emergency room for a cold and racking up his personal debt. He should be paid minimum wage and have to buy his food on that, or if you feel sorry for him, give him food stamps available in that locale for somebody on minimum wage. Either that or self medicating with whatever is in Walmart vitamin aisle. Perhaps this would get leaders attention to needs of society. Billionaires living like billionaire means he is clueless and thinks the poor should just eat cake if they cant afford bread.
I think King Trump would prefer a Big Mac over caviar.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:49 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Who knows? Just posting the fact that Canadians are dissatisfied with their national health care. 68% of Canadians do not believe Canada’s health care system treats patients in a timely manner even though Canada has spent additional billions of dollars on the program.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ic-health-poll

Old 10-04-2020, 11:53 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I read that and I don't see evidence of this widespread 'dissatisfaction'. What I saw was that 2 out of 3 respondents IN MONTREAL want greater involvement by the private health sector and 68% of respondents IN MONTREAL were unhappy with wait times.
Read it again. It says "Canadians," repeatedly, not just those in Montreal. Stop imagining something that isn't there just because it makes you feel better.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
He's the president. He earned it. Just like some Americans have better health insurance than others, usually because they work for someone who cares about the well being of their employees. Or maybe they were very successful in life and can afford better health insurance and health care.

Out of curiosity, which presidential candidate is suggesting we should assign 10 doctors to every patient during a pandemic? And where would we find the extra 10-50 million new doctors required for this?

How idiotic does one have to be to expect to have all the same luxuries as the leader of a nation? Go find some other country where things work like that. You would be limited to Antarctica, or forming your own new country.
Dems should put their money where their mouths are--let Nancy Pelosi introduce a new bill limiting the healthcare of the President. And I want to see EVERY DEM publicly support it. Don't talk about it--be about it.

THey're quick as grease lightening to pass every bill on their end to "check" the President--let's see them do it now.

If they're not willing to go that far--they need to shut up about it and respect atleast the office of the Presidency.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:55 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,921,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think King Trump would prefer a Big Mac over caviar.
Who wouldn’t? Caviar is nothing but fish eggs, gross.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I have multiple friends *and* an ex-husband in Canada (BC and Ontario). I have a pretty clear, honest understanding of what Canadians pay for healthcare. You can dispute the sources all you wish. The numbers are correct.

Determining the percentage of your taxes that go toward your family’s healthcare is an absolutely legit way to determine costs and budget. This is the disconnect between Canadians and Americans that causes such friction on the topic. Canadians have an “out of sight, out of mind” attitude about their healthcare costs because they are rolled into their taxes. Americans want and need to determine their total premiums and out of pocket costs because we have a free market that allows us to make choices. I’m not saying ANYTHING negative about either system; simply that our national attitudes are quite different.

12k a year is a lot of money. I get that it provides peace of mind and portability ... for many folks that’s worth every penny of that 12k. For others, the freedom to price and select their healthcare is key.

I don’t expect there will ever be agreement on this, and that’s fine. None of this changes the average listed cost of Canadian healthcare per family.

Back to the topic on hand: has the OP forgotten that our Federal government has promised and delivered free COVID care for all Americans?
The part of the equation that is important, is that you have to be making a lot of money to be paying $12,000 dollars to be a portion of your income taxes for healthcare.

In BC someone making $60,000 pays about $9,000 in TOTAL in income tax which includes healthcare. This is without deductions, which most people have.

Also, if you aren't making an income, you are still covered, as long as you are a resident of BC.

However you are right, it is out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies