Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Level of success approximately by closest in percentage with 100% the best
10% 20 29.85%
20% 0 0%
30% 3 4.48%
40% 0 0%
50% 0 0%
60% 0 0%
70% 7 10.45%
80% 10 14.93%
90% 12 17.91%
100% 15 22.39%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 05:12 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicktod View Post
If you believe MSM....... (Which is stupid)
I get my information from the CDC, not the MSM. I don't even have cable tv, so never watch the msm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 06:11 AM

1,231 posts, read 448,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Nothing to really discuss here. DeSantis did what he thought was the right thing to do. There will be some who agree, and some who don't. That's just how it is. I do know a majority of his constituents wanted things done the way he did them. They did not want to be locked down. They did not want to watch their businesses fall into ruin. He is an elected official. He did what his people wanted him to do.

Here's a thought. You and your loved ones spend months and months basically sheltering in place out of fear of this virus. Then one day, the TV tells you hey, you can go out and be a normal society again. Yayyyyy am I right? So you put on your Sunday best, and the family climb into the car and you head off to town. And then a new teen driver doesn't stop at the red light and slams into your car at 55 mph. Or you slip on the wet pavement left my someone's yard sprinkler. Or you.......................infinity. You are not safe. We are never safe. We are mortal beings who are here for a short time. And that time is not guaranteed. There is no one out there allotting you with more time if you just follow certain rules. Wear a mask. Shelter at home. Social distance. Yeah, that's all great. The illusion of safety is intriguing to most people. Just so you know though, that is all it is. 90% of those masks being worn out there wouldn't stop a virus, or anything else for that matter. Sheltering at home and social distancing? Sure, if you want to weaken your immune system and ensure that when you do get back out in the world, you are going to get sick with something. It's only natural that this will happen when you deprive yourself of the ability to gain strength against the various pathogens, bacteria, viruses, etc. that are floating around out there all the time. How many of them? Delah.

But hey, it's fine, you folks go ahead and keep arguing over this virus. The fact is, we must continue to live our lives. We can not be afraid all the time. How tragic would it be for you to spend the last several months of your life afraid of a virus and restraining yourself from living your life to the fullest, only to die in some other random way when you finally decide it's SAFE out there. Live your lives folks. Safety is always an illusion.
The fact is that over 200,000 people have died in just a few months from this virus. You can't say that about random sprinkler accidents lol. Btw I can't afford to shelter at home. Many working age people also have preexisting conditions and can't either. People are stupid not to realize that a mounting death toll hurts the economy. If we did things the right and smart way we could have eliminated the virus like most countries. But the economy is going to suffer not because of shutdowns.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:18 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
The economy is not all right due to factors out of Florida's control, like decimation of tourism all over the world.

His response was a failure in July and August? His response was correct. It was local leaders that failed, by rushing to shut down businesses. As he predicted, hospitals never hit capacity - never came even close. All the doomsday predictions were wrong.
Tell that to DeSantis and the OP that think that opening up and attempting to function normally is going to change the virus, it didn't suddenly disappear.

He declared victory in May and then came the surge with over 10,000 new cases per day. Florida has a particular problem with it's unemployment insurance and this seems a rather desperate to to solve that issue.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:24 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m presently in Orlando with my last son, the Parks and resorts not up to par at all. The snow birds coming now and housing is nil. Not sure what will happens when the evictions start. The courts are still very slow but it’s coming. The unemployment system is a disaster, and now the registering to Vote system failed . So let’s see how Nov 3 turns out. So far -D
FL unemployment has always been a disaster designed to not pay anything.

I applied in Mar 2007 when unemployment was VERY low. Never heard from them so I tried calling all day for a week, literally. Could never get thru. Finally got thru by writing a letter. They got back to me in Aug of 2007 (3 months after I had moved for a new job) saying they never received anything even though I had the fax cover sheet from THEIR fax in the unemployment office as proof. Fortunately I only missed out of 4 weeks. That is still about 1K they owed me and screwed me on.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 503,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
They can't if people like you keep putting them at risk. Too bad you can't get control of your own state and get control of the virus. You are on track to be running out of Hospital beds.
You are funny with all your nonsense. We don't have any issues with hospital beds. Florida should be number one in death rate given the demographics, the population numbers and the fact we are a tourist state. We are not even in the top 10 for death rates. Damn good job on our part.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:59 AM

1,253 posts, read 503,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
NJ is open but with limited indoor capacity. Parts of FL are fully open.

NJ was one of the first states to get hit... so it had the worst cases due to lack of testing and general knowledge of the virus. In the initial states, they probably had infections going as far back as November, but no one knew... so it was spreading with no precautions. These states (with the exception of CA) are now in control.

FL is one of the deadliest states in terms of Covid right now. It will always be a battle between keeping everything open vs infection rate.
Again, Florida is doing very well. It's currently the 10th best in the entire nation. Here is the current link.

Virus

Old 10-12-2020, 06:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
FL unemployment has always been a disaster designed to not pay anything.
Yes, the Scott/DeSantis UE system failed almost immediately, and its still not fixed. My wife was laid off and received $360 in four months. We're paying for nothing.

Grade based on UE system = F

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-12-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m presently in Orlando with my last son, the Parks and resorts not up to par at all. The snow birds coming now and housing is nil. Not sure what will happens when the evictions start. The courts are still very slow but it’s coming. The unemployment system is a disaster, and now the registering to Vote system failed . So let’s see how Nov 3 turns out. So far -D
What’s wrong with the parks and resorts? The parks have been great, open much longer than those up in Michigan. Some of our local authorities closed boat ramps early on which was a mistake. I’m not real happy about the snow birds coming down. They will further strain grocery store shelves l aren’t back to normal. Rick Scott and earlier administrations are to blame for the horrible unemployment system, although I do think Desantis could and should extende benefits during this time. I give him a B.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Nothing to really discuss here. DeSantis did what he thought was the right thing to do. There will be some who agree, and some who don't. That's just how it is. I do know a majority of his constituents wanted things done the way he did them. They did not want to be locked down. They did not want to watch their businesses fall into ruin. He is an elected official. He did what his people wanted him to do.

Here's a thought. You and your loved ones spend months and months basically sheltering in place out of fear of this virus. Then one day, the TV tells you hey, you can go out and be a normal society again. Yayyyyy am I right? So you put on your Sunday best, and the family climb into the car and you head off to town. And then a new teen driver doesn't stop at the red light and slams into your car at 55 mph. Or you slip on the wet pavement left my someone's yard sprinkler. Or you.......................infinity. You are not safe. We are never safe. We are mortal beings who are here for a short time. And that time is not guaranteed. There is no one out there allotting you with more time if you just follow certain rules. Wear a mask. Shelter at home. Social distance. Yeah, that's all great. The illusion of safety is intriguing to most people. Just so you know though, that is all it is. 90% of those masks being worn out there wouldn't stop a virus, or anything else for that matter. Sheltering at home and social distancing? Sure, if you want to weaken your immune system and ensure that when you do get back out in the world, you are going to get sick with something. It's only natural that this will happen when you deprive yourself of the ability to gain strength against the various pathogens, bacteria, viruses, etc. that are floating around out there all the time. How many of them? Delah.

But hey, it's fine, you folks go ahead and keep arguing over this virus. The fact is, we must continue to live our lives. We can not be afraid all the time. How tragic would it be for you to spend the last several months of your life afraid of a virus and restraining yourself from living your life to the fullest, only to die in some other random way when you finally decide it's SAFE out there. Live your lives folks. Safety is always an illusion.
Great post. We are far more likely to die from all sorts of things (including a car accident) than we are COVID. That doesn’t mean common sense regulations should not be in place but common sense. Not draconian.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
For the context of this thread and 1 persistent poster, it seems that Florida is only 1 or 2 counties.

The rest of the state is basically 100% open. No issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies