Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 11:14 AM

2,400 posts, read 756,579 times

Advertisements

I think it’s funny people blame the Confederacy for slavery. I guarantee you union and confederate soldiers cared exactly the same about the freedom of Africans in America. The war was not about slavery, that is something Hollywood made up, it was about the North exerting its authority on the South because they thought they could.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:15 AM

73,081 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I’m offended by many things. Too bad for me. If my flag offends you, that’s completely on you. You can seek therapy or whatever works to get you over it.

This thread has turned into a whine party.
You still haven't answered the question. What other reason do you have for flying the Confederate flag, other than to offend people? If you know it's a offensive, why fly it? If you know that the Confederate flag represents a morally reprehensible cause, why fly it? What rational reason is there? If there is no rational reason to fly it (and "because I can" isn't a rational reason), then just say so.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 AM

8,354 posts, read 2,976,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1) U.S. flags might have flown from slave ships, but the cornerstone of U.S. society wasn't slavery. The Confederate cornerstone was explicitly about keeping slavery and white supremacy. No Confederate flag flew from slave ships because the Confederacy didn't exist except during 1861-1865. By then, it was illegal do to slave trading.

2) We are talking about the USA and the Confederacy, not the rest of the world, so leave the rest of the world out of this. Being "acceptable" in the rest of the world does not negate that the Confederate cause was about keeping slavery.

3) The CSA was about keeping slavery. It put it in its Constitution to protect slavery. I don't care that it would have "eventually" let slavery go the way of the dinosaur. As the descendant of slaves, that's not good enough for me. If I had to pick between being slave and being dead, I'd rather be dead.

4) That you call Confederate monuments "white monuments" confirms that you know that Confederate monuments do not mean anything good for Black Americans.

Ask yourself this. What is the point of flying the Confederate flag, other than angering people for the fun of it? Come up with something better than "because I can".
Difference of opinion. I suggest you stop wasting your time. All you are doing is reassuring my point of view. I’ll be upgrading my flag. It’s a cheap 3x5.

I’ll be getting an embroidered one likely larger than my existing one. Focus on tolerance and acceptance other other views and desires.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,935,999 times
Quote:
Ask yourself this. Why do the majority of Blacks, a majority of whom are southerners, have a disdain for the Confederate flag? I ask because I grew up in Georgia and I've been to other southern states. If it's about southern pride, there would be far more Blacks trying to represent the South with the Confederate flag. And yet, Blacks are some of the biggest opponents of the Confederate flag. Ask yourself why that is. And come up with something better than "Blacks are brainwashed".

By the way, I have no connection with "Dixie" in spite of growing up in the South. I can go fishing anywhere in America. I can find pickup trucks all over the USA, especially out west. I can find beer all over America. I prefer Texas and Kansas City barbecue over Carolina and Alabama barbecue. I'll take California-style (Santa Maria) barbecue too. I don't like catfish.
American people of all skin tones were brainwashed for over a century when they were indoctrinated with the 'Lost Cause' mythologies. The primary source documentation is as well documented as the various States' secession documents, the legislative record of the 36th Congress, & the Constitution of the Confederacy itself.

From 2015:

Why Calling Slaves 'Workers' Is More Than An Editing Error

Quote:
In the past year, Texas textbooks have been criticized for listing Moses as a Founding Father and for downplaying slavery as a cause of the Civil War. Those issues stemmed from the learning standards that the Texas State Board of Education sets to guide publishers.
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015...-editing-error

Straight from the UDC propaganda.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
I think it’s funny people blame the Confederacy for slavery. I guarantee you union and confederate soldiers cared exactly the same about the freedom of Africans in America. The war was not about slavery, that is something Hollywood made up, it was about the North exerting its authority on the South because they thought they could.
PotatoMan, I think you are wrong. And this is why.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...herners-fought

Why Non-Slaveholders Will Fight For Slavery

Slavery was huge part of why the Confederate states wanted secession.

And this is what Alexander Stephens, VP of the CSA, had to say about the cornerstone of the Confederacy.

Quote:
But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."
Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.
Cornerstone Speech, here: https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...erstone-speech

Anyone who says slavery had nothing to do with it is wrong. People living back then were shameless about admitting that slavery was a huge part of it.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Difference of opinion. I suggest you stop wasting your time. All you are doing is reassuring my point of view. I’ll be upgrading my flag. It’s a cheap 3x5.

I’ll be getting an embroidered one likely larger than my existing one. Focus on tolerance and acceptance other other views and desires.
How is anything I said in that post an "opinion"?

And I'm not tolerant of the Confederate flag. I will be honest and tell you I have no tolerance for it. I don't want to tolerate it. Why should I tolerate a symbol that represents the Confederate cause, a cause rooted in making sure my ancestors would remain slaves perpetually? What reason do I have as a Black man to tolerate it?

And yes, I'm not tolerant. At least I don't pretend to be tolerant. I'm honest and blunt about it.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
American people of all skin tones were brainwashed for over a century when they were indoctrinated with the 'Lost Cause' mythologies. The primary source documentation is as well documented as the various States' secession documents, the legislative record of the 36th Congress, & the Constitution of the Confederacy itself.

From 2015:

Why Calling Slaves 'Workers' Is More Than An Editing Error

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015...-editing-error

Straight from the UDC propaganda.
Alot of people may have been brainwashed. However, Black people flying Confederate flags and reciting the Lost Cause, I notice most Blacks, regardless of age, won't do that do.

This is my opinion about calling slaves "workers" in textbooks. It is about fear. One of the best ways to pacify someone is to tell them whatever will keep them from being angry. There are individuals who likely know that there is some anger among many in the Black population. Calling slaves "workers" is not only a good way to brainwash people, some people see it as a way to "keep the peace". The truth would stir up alot of anger.

8,354 posts, read 2,976,582 times
Quote:
You still haven't answered the question. What other reason do you have for flying the Confederate flag, other than to offend people? If you know it's a offensive, why fly it? If you know that the Confederate flag represents a morally reprehensible cause, why fly it? What rational reason is there? If there is no rational reason to fly it (and "because I can" isn't a rational reason), then just say so.
So if I find something offensive it shouldn’t be displayed? :-)

People find many things offensive. I don’t care what flag you fly. None of my business. Not going to cry to you about your nazi rainbow NAMBLA BLM flag, or what you wear. I may laugh about it to myself and family or friends but what right have I to give you a hard time about it?

What are you trying to accomplish on this thread?

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
WRONG! You don't know how thing evolved unless you live it. I vacationed in the south all my life, live in the north and then lived in the south for over a decade. I can assure you the flag wasn't viewed as "race" at all, unless of course you find some KKK group or something, but that is very rare.

Anyway, I don't think schools and people should be bullied by the left all the time. This has been a non-stop bully session by the left since Trump got elected and I for one am tired of these little babies crying about everything. The school has a long tradition. Maybe the people that are actually attending the school and their parents all want that tradition to stay. Who are you? Do you go there? Are you in their district? You are just bullying them. Nothing more. Maybe some districts should be allowed to do what they want. You know, freedom to choose! You are an outsider. You have no jurisdiction there. Nor do I, but the difference is, I am a live and let live. You are a bully.
Plenty of people who disagree with you on this aren't 'on the left'.

Black people make up, IIRC, about 13% of the U.S. population. Let's say that a high enough percentage of black people disagree with you so that that percentage represents 10% of the U.S. population.

People should care more about one in ten fellow Americans being extremely offended by something that cannot be morally justified than they care about giving an inch to people they disagree with politically.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
The battle flag was not a "southern pride" thing. After the War it was used mostly on Decoration Day. Slowly it began to be seen as an emblem of the Lost Cause and was adopted by the Klan. Growing up in the segregated era, even a blind man on a galloping horse could see what that flag stood for.
And knowing this, there is more that needs to be understood. A majority of the USA's Black population lives in the former Confederate states. Hardly any Blacks are flying the Confederate flag or calling it "southern pride". I've brought that up over and over. I notice few people are willing to take up that fact.

In fact, I started a thread about it last year. It got closed down though.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...dont-view.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies