Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 02:32 PM

73,224 posts, read 63,111,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm saying those flying Confederate flags or wanting to conserve Confederate memorabilia are not thinking about your Confederate cause narrative and blacks. They are probably thinking about they are defending against a thinly-veiled anti-American, antiwhite offensive.
If you want to conserve Confederate memorabilia, build a museum for it. Flying it is for reasons other than trying to preserve memorabilia. When you fly a flag, you are saying something about yourself. You're saying something about what you represent. If you fly a Confederate flag, the message being sent is that you represent what the Confederacy is about. Those who are flying it had to have thought for a moment that the Confederacy doesn't represent anything good. So much of what it's about isn't good. If that's not the message you want to send, why fly such a flag?

Those who are unhappy about the anti-American, anti-White narrative, there is a fly that can be flown. It is the American flag. There are likely far more people who are not with tearing down statues of Grant and Jefferson. I'm not for it. However, when someone flies a Confederate flag, said person is more likely to make enemies of people who might otherwise listen. If someone sat down and told me "I don't want the statues of Jefferson, Lincoln, and Grant being torn down", I would listen. I would understand where they are coming from. If said person flies a Confederate flag, knowing how unjust and disgusting the Confederate cause was for Blacks, that person has likely made an enemy of me. How do you expect me to react? What do you expect me to think when someone is flying a Confederate flag, knowing what I know about it?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,966,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are some people who should be honored, and others who should not. We should never forget the Confederate generals. However, it must be remembered that the Confederate cause was about making sure the institution of slavery stayed. They were not fighting for a noble cause. The Confederate cause is not a cause worthy of honor. It should never be forgotten. At the same time, what rational reason is there to pay accolades to those who fought for a morally reprehensible cause? That is the question more people need to ask themselves.
Some folks may never ask themselves those kinds of questions, likely afraid of their own shadows.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks may never ask themselves those kinds of questions, likely afraid of their own shadows.
Or maybe those persons know what they are doing, and don't want anyone to tell them what they're doing isn't rational. Said persons may know what they are doing isn't rational, but doesn't care. It's not about reason for some who are involved. Some people might know better and don't want to change.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I'm saying those flying Confederate flags or wanting to conserve Confederate memorabilia are not thinking about your Confederate cause narrative and blacks. They are probably thinking about they are defending against a thinly-veiled anti-American, antiwhite offensive.
Nah, they're just conformists, & Confederate-heritage-correctness buffs. Sortof ironic for them to consider themselves "rebels" lol.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:48 PM

8,543 posts, read 3,065,360 times
Quote:
Not all of Tennessee is backwards. Many parts of it are. And Franklin County certainly fits that bill. Nashville doesn't fit that bill. Chattanooga doesn't fit that bill. I've been to both cities.

The measure to get rid of a Confederate mascot failed in Franklin County. It would have passed in Nashville. It would have passed in Knoxville, in Chattanooga. This is Franklin County we're talking about. It was a very pro-secessionist county during the Civil War. Blacks are about 6% of the county's population.

Tennessee certain has its pro-Confederate parts, but not uniformly. East Tennessee was against secession are far more pro-Union than West Tennessee (where Memphis is located). The western part of the state had far more slavery. Franklin County is in Middle Tennessee. It's hit or miss with this region.

Parts of Tennessee are very backwards, but not all of it. Nashville is certainly not backwards. Franklin County, however, very much is.
Nashville’s homicide rate is 3 times the national average and their crime rate is double the national average. Both substantially higher than Franklin County. I guess you don’t consider areas with high violent crime rates “backwards”.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Another fact about the UDC, since they've been outed for their propaganda campaign, & their long association with the KKK, they've taken to 'hooding' themselves behind lawsuits. Here's one they began waging against the City of Franklin, along with the history of how it got there to begin with.

Franklin's Confederate Monument - Understanding Its Role In Our Collective History

https://usctwillcotn.blogspot.com/20...-monument.html
The UDC is now being forced to confront their Klan history. I find it highly ironic that women who couldn't vote were able to have such influence over statues, textbooks, and other matters in perpetuating the Lost Cause lie.

Now that they have to admit their association with the Klan, that leaves even more reasons to take down the Confederate monuments.

Reading the article, I notice a few pastors wanted to do right. Instead of taking the monument down, the idea was to add some history, to add some balance, to include topics related to African-Americans. The Fuller Story Initiative took their proposal to the City of Franklin. The UDC, not the city of Franklin, had a fit. The people who run the city didn't seem to have a problem. The United Daughters of the Confederacy had a big problem. The monument wasn't even going to be torn down. They were going to place some markers in the town square to tell a more balanced story of Franklin's role during the Civil War, and Blacks are going to be included in this. It shows what the UDC was about. It wasn't just about remembering Confederate soldiers. It was about a culture of exclusion. I think the UDC perpetuated a myth of what it thought they wanted the South to be. That Blacks are excluded is no coincidence.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Or maybe those persons know what they are doing, and don't want anyone to tell them what they're doing isn't rational. Said persons may know what they are doing isn't rational, but doesn't care. It's not about reason for some who are involved. Some people might know better and don't want to change.
I really don't know. I know it's not rational, particularly considering the facts & evidence. The KKK wore hoods to conceal their identities. I don't know why they did that either? Were they ashamed or just afraid they'd be held accountable?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:54 PM

19,963 posts, read 7,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Nashville’s homicide rate is 3 times the national average and their crime rate is double the national average. Both substantially higher than Franklin County. I guess you don’t consider areas with high violent crime rates “backwards”.
We might be rapists, killers and criminals but at least we don't fly no dog gone Confederate flags around here y'all .

Old 10-18-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So what? I'd rather live in Nashville than live in Franklin County. I'd feel more at home in Nashville, which doesn't have that Confederate presence. Nashville might have some crime issues, but there are far worse city. And Nashville is Tennessee's economic engine. I'm more likely to get a job in Nashville than in Franklin County. I'm more likely to fit in living in Nashville than Franklin County.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
We might be rapists, killers and criminals but at least we don't fly no dog gone Confederate flags around here y'all .
Nashville might have a higher than average crime. However, there is a reason more companies want to do business in Nashville than in Franklin County. I'd rather live in Nashville than Franklin County. I've been to Nashville and found the residents there to be very friendly and welcoming. I didn't want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies