Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You don’t get to where trump has got without being a criminal of some kind
4 years ago you loved Trump, by your very own posts.

and are you saying that every billionaire is a "criminal of some kind"? Every POTUS? Who qualifies for the "where Trump has (sic) got"?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:16 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If "Presidential Incompetence" was a crime, Trump would be "overwhelmingly guilty".
That is your opinion, not a fact.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is your opinion, not a fact.

It's an opinion millions share ...millions more, than people who don't share it. Opinions can move mountains and also move that "lying tub of lard Trump", out of the White House. That's just my opinion!

Old 10-18-2020, 12:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
The Emoluments Clause are one of the first things that come to mind when I think of Trump's crimes, then how he's used Barr to get criminals out of jail.

In his past there's quite a list of criminal activity, including knowingly using illegals on building projects and as help on his properties, and then stiffing many of them (don't know if there is a law against that).

The list goes on and on, so the answer to the question:

"Donald J. Trump - Criminal Or Not...?"

is

"He's one of the biggest criminals out there!"

Old 10-18-2020, 12:32 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Let us recall that President Trump was impeached on two articles:

1. Obstruction of Congress, covered by:

"Section 1505 of Title 18, United States Code, as amended by the Victim and Witness Protection Act of 1982, forbids anyone from corruptly, or by threats of force or by any threatening communication, influencing, obstructing, or impeding any pending proceeding before a department or agency of the United States, or Congress. In 1996 Congress enacted a clarifying amendment to 18 U.S.C. § 1515, which defines the term "corruptly" as used in section 1505 to mean "acting with an improper purpose, personally or by influencing another, including making a false or misleading statement, or withholding, concealing, altering, or destroying a document or other information." False Statements Accountability Act of 1996, Pub. L. No. 104-292, §3, 110 Stat. 3459, 3460.

Section 1505 also specifically prohibits anyone from withholding, misrepresenting, removing from any place, concealing, covering up, destroying, mutilating, altering, or by other means falsifying any documentary material, answers to written interrogatories, or oral testimony that is the subject of a proper investigative demand under the Antitrust Civil Process Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1311-14, with the intent of avoiding, evading, preventing, or obstructing compliance, in whole or in part, with that demand."

See: https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/...-proceeding-18

See also: https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL34304.html

2. Abuse of Power, which is covered by the High Crimes and Misdemeanors clause of the Constitution.

Although the US Senate found President Trump 'not guilty' of these two offenses, by the wording of the Constitution Mr. Trump cannot be pardoned for these offenses.

So, if Mr Trump resigns, and Mr. Pence becomes President (based on hypothetical of Mr. Trump losing the election), Mr. Pence can certainly pardon Mr. Trump (as Ford did Nixon) but he cannot pardon Mr. Trump for those impeached offenses (hence Mr. Nixon, a very good attorney, resigned before he could be impeached by the House).

I also think that post-Trump investigation will reveal his violating the emoluments clause of the Constitution.

What would Justice Scalia say about the meaning of 'emolument'? Would he not want to know how the word was defined back when the Constitution was drafted? Yes, he would have.

From an article:

"John Mikhail, a professor at Georgetown Law School, set out last winter to research that evolution. "Prior to maybe December of 2016, I had not given much thought to the word," he said.

Mikhail told NPR he and his researchers looked at all the known dictionaries between 1604 and 1806 that define emolument -- 40 books in all. He said only three gave definitions in ways favorable to Trump, "kind of a narrow, even technical meaning, tied to the salary or official duties of an office," while the other 37 used "a broader meaning that would encompass sort of the profits of ordinary market transactions."

Almost all of the dictionaries used the word profit in their definitions. The two other go-to words were advantage and gain."

See: https://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/54800...n-of-emolument

Thus, if Justice Scalia were alive, and if he were being honest with his theory of originalism, then he would go with the 37 definitions.

I imagine that the post-Trump investigations will reveal other crimes concerning his children (look for Mr. Trump, if he decides to resign, to pardon his children first), as well as himself.

Of course, the cases being investigated by the State of New York must not be ignored.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:34 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
That's ultimately for the various federal and state justice departments to figure out and then for a judge and/or jury to determine. There are several different pending cases and may be some new ones too.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
If he isn't one, he has a lot of them around him who've gone down. A coincidence?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN25G1YU

Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Biden using his position to hold money to the Ukraine for his son, yeah I would say that’s worse.
I can tell you are embarrassed to answer my question honestly. I won't bother you again.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:45 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
which were the crimes, as purported in the article? then we can discuss.

I think I saw something about losing a case related to some 1986 stock sales.
Did you read the article? If so, you know what crimes are under discussion.

If not, please do.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:49 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
In Seth Abramson's book Proof of Collusion, he states that the DOJ has a menu of 22 criminal charges they can level against Trump. And charges for Jared Kushner, in particular, and Donny, Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies