Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 05:39 PM

17,640 posts, read 6,918,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The difficulty of wearing a mask for several more months vs. losing the ability to own private transportation aren't even comparable inconveniences.

Not even.
LOL @ "several months." Do you really believe that? After "two weeks to flatten the curve"?

Old 10-25-2020, 05:43 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Yes it can...if most are wearing the masks...wish we could've been more like Taiwan (7 deaths) and New Zealand (25 deaths) where mask wearing is universal...our non-mask wearing super spreader President is responsible (225K deaths with rapidly rising numbers)...blew it big time on covid!
Do you have a scientific study available that definitively states mask wearing is what caused such low numbers in those 2 examples you've used?

Are you also aware that Taiwan and NZ had some of the strictest, most brutal lockdowns in the world where people were barely allowed to leave home if even 1 person in the country even sneezed? Did you maybe consider frequent hand washing and extreme social distancing and isolation as alternative, viable reasons for such statistics? Of course you did not. You just conclude that masks stopped it.

If masks really did magically stop the pandemic, most of Europe (heavily masked) wouldn't be suffering from a second wave right now.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You have every right to protect yourself as you see fit. Wear a mask. Wear two masks. Wear a face shield. Wear six masks *and* a face shield. You do not, however, no matter what you believe, have a right to demand that I take similar measures on your behalf. The dragons running rampant in your mind are yours, and yours alone, to wrestle.

No person has the right to mandate that we do anything to protect them. We're not cops.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:47 PM

17,640 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Do you have a scientific study available that definitively states mask wearing is what caused such low numbers in those 2 examples you've used?

Are you also aware that Taiwan and NZ had some of the strictest, most brutal lockdowns in the world where people were barely allowed to leave home if even 1 person in the country even sneezed? Did you maybe consider frequent hand washing and extreme social distancing and isolation as alternative, viable reasons for such statistics? Of course you did not. You just conclude that masks stopped it.

If masks really did magically stop the pandemic, most of Europe (heavily masked) wouldn't be suffering from a second wave right now.
Not to mention that in many places across the US there were mask mandates, yet still those same places had spikes over the summer.

Of course, that just makes the mask cultists attack their fellow citizens for alleged non-compliance. It would be nice if they would use their brains, for once, and question how a cloth bandana is going to stop the spread of a virus that is less than 0.3 microns in diameter.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
I'd say , anything can protect well against theoretical virus...

Absolutely! Wearing the right colored underwear on Wednesday has the same protective potential against a pretend plague.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...yP-lmyjFIbQsqY

It can save lives and science shows it. At some point, we have to realize that the truth is the truth and that with some issues our opinions really don't matter.
Quoting NPR on the efficacy of mask wearing is like me quoting Ted Kennedy to show that drinking lots of alcohol makes you a better driver when you're near water.

NPR has such extreme bias that anything that comes from them should be scrutinized.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:03 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Too many of you think the mask is the ONLY thing you can do, that's the BEST thing you can do, or that it's responsible for X percent of spread or not. Those things are not - and never were - paraded as true. Why do you have to be so black and white about it?

There is some evidence that wearing a mask IF YOU ARE SICK can keep your germs from flying as far as they might. Unless you're prepared to overturn the laws of physics, that logic seems fairly sound. Now - to what degree does this mitigate the spread of COVID. I do not know. Neither do you. But logic says It Ain't Zero. And dosage does matter. So that's good enough for me, as is covering my mouth when I sneeze since I was old enough to get scolded by my grandmother for not doing so.

Remember, people - masks are MAINLY to stop the Sick YOU from spreading it. Only about 1% of you are presently contagious, and half of that knows it and is home (I hope). So pretty much 99% of you are indeed wearing it for nothing - but THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW WHO.

This is basically 3rd grade manners.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
A universal driving ban would save many more than that. Do you lunatics want to ban cars in addition to mandating masks everywhere?

But....but....but....

Apples and oranges!

Old 10-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
LOL @ "several months." Do you really believe that? After "two weeks to flatten the curve"?
Yes, I'm inclined to believe "several more months". As in, 6 more.

I guess we'll see.

I'm seeing a lot of mask fatigue, and a lot of people who are otherwise cautious taking their masks off once everyone is seated, or going for walks in pairs and 3s without masks.

The early initial goal, of "flattening the curve" and sickening the public at a rate that could be handled with our supply of ventilators and ICU beds is long gone, but if this recent enormous spike in cases doesn't result in a similar enormous spike in deaths, I think the public will be ready to move forward.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 654,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Quoting NPR on the efficacy of mask wearing is like me quoting Ted Kennedy to show that drinking lots of alcohol makes you a better driver when you're near water.

NPR has such extreme bias that anything that comes from them should be scrutinized.
NPR is pretty center with maybe a slight left-lean. Breitbart, the Blaze, OAN, Huffington Post, a random Woke You-Tube video etc. those are biased sources. Just because it agrees with you doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies