Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You are SO right.

I mean no one got infected at any of the protests, burning and looting events that drew thousands of participants across the nation, in different cities.

Those mass gatherings provide 100% immunity.

Maybe Pfizer should patent rioting?
No one?

Protests followed the death of George Floyd in May. There were tens of thousands of protests all over the US. Some of those protests were obviously hijacked and went sideways.

Protests happened outside. The air is not stagnant. People constantly move in protests and especially when engaging in violence, property damage and looting.

The mass infection rates in the upper Midwest have been attributed, in part, to the what some define as a super spreader event in Sturgis, SD where 400,000 gathered in August. The crowds trended stationary, jammed like sardines inside and out. The crowds got sloppy, very, very sloppy in some cases as the alcohol flowed in the streets. While people travel to this annual event from all over the US, most attendees are from the upper Midwest states. Covid began to spike in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 09:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We get tested for COVID every two weeks at my hospital. So I would have to be one of the 5%, and on top of that, when I contract and become infectious would have to be timed just right for me to become infections. And in this scenario, I would probably step up my testing to once a week, so it would be extremely unlikely for this to happen.

Once the masses get the vaccine, I would imagine the masks would be unnecessary. If COVID cases were only 5% of what they are now, especially if almost all of those 5% were milder cases, then the concern is infinitely lower than it is now.
Well I have thought about the same thing because of the two households I'm most concerned about, my own and my mothers, at least my mother and my husband will qualify for the first vaccines available after health care workers and first responders.

Even with a vaccine, I have put too much effort into keeping my mother safe to abandon simple precautions now.

I expect someone will be modeling the risks around these issues. And, maybe there will be more information on the vaccines that will change my mind. For now, even with a vaccine I am wearing a mask in public places where I cant socially distance until we get much closer to a containment status.

Last edited by Blondy; 11-23-2020 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Do people know that if a person tests positive multiple times that every test is considered a new case?

I saw an RN talking about this. How every time ANY medical personnel tests positive and has a retest that is positive and then gets a nose swab it actually counts as 3 cases even though it's the same person.

That inflates the numbers.
Could be if not sequential. But unlikely as reinfections so far in the world are very rare.

My wife tested positive 7 times. Once from her hospitalization, then once a week for 6 weeks post-discharge. She was followed and was one case in our city/county/state.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
he criticized Brian Kemp when he reopened GA without following the guidelines.

the entirety of your post is a rant against Trump, who is a defeated President largely because of his poor messaging on the topic. It's not really worth going back over a timeline of events, because ~70MM people and half the CD posters completely ignore it.
He criticized Kemp's actions on nail salons and tattoo parlors ONLY...none of the other stuff.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Actually as the Pandemic progressed, transports have become more fluid and easier. With proper training, experienced crews and equipment are much more available. At least in AZ. Inter and intrastate.
Up to the early 2000’s air lift operations tended to be owned/ operated by hospitals. Congress increased Medicare reimbursement rates which created competition.

As you know, the ACA only addresses the Ten Essential Healthcare benefits and leaves the rest to the states. No two states have the same regulations. Some states mandate private insurers cover air lifting and some do not. What percentage of costs must be covered is also a variable.

John Hopkins estimated the median cost for an airlift to be $39,000. Some criticize this conclusion because JH did not differentiate between helicopter and fixed wing transport.

The largest national air lift providers tend to be majority- owned by private equity firms. There are no cost controls.

As time went on, Medicare and state Medicaid reimbursements trailed cost which meant higher prices for non Medicare/ Medicaid transports.

Air transport companies are less likely to be a part of any hospital network meaning no discount for private insurance.

The good news: You survived complications of Covid

The other news: Here’s your bill.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:08 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He criticized Kemp's actions on nail salons and tattoo parlors ONLY...none of the other stuff.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/u...ronavirus.html

I think we'd have to hear the actual exchange, not just 1 of several quotes ....

Quote:
President Trump on Wednesday criticized the decision of a political ally, Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia, to allow many businesses to reopen this week, saying the move was premature given the number of coronavirus cases in the state.

“I want him to do what he thinks is right, but I disagree with him on what he is doing,” Mr. Trump said at a White House briefing. “I think it’s too soon.”
Quote:
“I love those people that use all of those things — the spas, the beauty parlors, barbershops, tattoo parlors,” Mr. Trump said on Wednesday. “I love them. But they can wait a little bit longer, just a little bit — not much, because safety has to predominate.”
here's the 1 hour+ youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQULspO9Ado

Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
We don't want other communities to be burdened like this one. It's a twitter thread from a doctor in Arizona. Wasn't the media -- it was this person posting on Twitter. Sure the media might pick this up ----because it is relevant to today. Is this person hyping it -- I don't know -- seems to know what they are talking about.

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/statu...96313551085574

NO ICU BEDS! When our rural Arizona hospital ICU is full, we medevac patients to different hospitals across the state, BUT NOT TONIGHT, because there were NO ACCEPTING HOSPITALS, so for an entire 12 hour shift we managed ICU patients, while treating other emergencies

Old 11-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Up to the early 2000’s air lift operations tended to be owned/ operated by hospitals. Congress increased Medicare reimbursement rates which created competition.

As you know, the ACA only addresses the Ten Essential Healthcare benefits and leaves the rest to the states. No two states have the same regulations. Some states mandate private insurers cover air lifting and some do not. What percentage of costs must be covered is also a variable.

John Hopkins estimated the median cost for an airlift to be $39,000. Some criticize this conclusion because JH did not differentiate between helicopter and fixed wing transport.

The largest national air lift providers tend to be majority- owned by private equity firms. There are no cost controls.

As time went on, Medicare and state Medicaid reimbursements trailed cost which meant higher prices for non Medicare/ Medicaid transports.

Air transport companies are less likely to be a part of any hospital network meaning no discount for private insurance.

The good news: You survived complications of Covid

The other news: Here’s your bill.
Obamacare policy paid my wife's helo bills. She has had 2 rides. 2017 out of state near fatal car wreck and 2019 sepsis and respiratory failure, post stem cell transplant. She is doing well today.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We don't want other communities to be burdened like this one. It's a twitter thread from a doctor in Arizona. Wasn't the media -- it was this person posting on Twitter. Sure the media might pick this up ----because it is relevant to today. Is this person hyping it -- I don't know -- seems to know what they are talking about.

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/statu...96313551085574

NO ICU BEDS! When our rural Arizona hospital ICU is full, we medevac patients to different hospitals across the state, BUT NOT TONIGHT, because there were NO ACCEPTING HOSPITALS, so for an entire 12 hour shift we managed ICU patients, while treating other emergencies
we would of course rather no hospital run into true 100% capacity and be forced to send emergency patients elsewhere. So perhaps we talk about how hospitals are "built and operated" to run at 80% capacity (or whatever the figure is).

Because you're talking about a lot of facilities, and a lot of staff if we're "always" ready for 110-120% of current capacity.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we would of course rather no hospital run into true 100% capacity and be forced to send emergency patients elsewhere. So perhaps we talk about how hospitals are "built and operated" to run at 80% capacity (or whatever the figure is).
times of overload
Because you're talking about a lot of facilities, and a lot of staff if we're "always" ready for 110-120% of current capacity.
Viral Pandemic is a different and rather unique medical scenario. Although maybe similar to bio-terrorism.
Many if not most hospitals and systems encounter times of overload. More typical general medical or surgical overload is relatively easy to counter with simple patient transfers. But was not so easy with Covid 19, where it quickly spiked in a few surprised areas. So Pandemic planning is a bit of a different ballgame. And of course few nations were prepared late 2019. This needs to change on a global basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies