Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 05:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
When asked about a Myanmar-style coup happening in the US, Michael Flynn (Trump's national security advisor) said that a coup "should" happen in the US. The audience cheered.

I didn't vote for Biden or any Democrats, and I don't care for their policies. But how could anyone call for a military coup? Isn't the need for democracy clear to everyone? Hasn't everyone learned from the awful 20th century (military coups and dictatorships around the world)?
do you have a link?

For example, at her election celebration, Rashida Tlaib said "we're going to impeach that mother ****er".

Were there more people cheering at hers. or Flynn's deal? Just wondering.

Are either acceptable?

Old 05-31-2021, 05:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
The US came into existence by a military coup against the British. Not all coups are bad.
Not so. It was elected leaders in the 13 Colonies who declared independence and defended themselves.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:50 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
When asked about a Myanmar-style coup happening in the US, Michael Flynn (Trump's national security advisor) said that a coup "should" happen in the US. The audience cheered.

I didn't vote for Biden or any Democrats, and I don't care for their policies. But how could anyone call for a military coup? Isn't the need for democracy clear to everyone? Hasn't everyone learned from the awful 20th century (military coups and dictatorships around the world)?
Where is the link for the facts and proper context? We are supposed to take your word for this? And who did you hear it from?

Old 05-31-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
do you have a link?

For example, at her election celebration, Rashida Tlaib said "we're going to impeach that mother ****er".

Are either acceptable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Where is the link for the facts and proper context? We are supposed to take your word for this? And who did you hear it from?
Source:

https://news.yahoo.com/us-coup-myanm...081301251.html

I very strongly dislike Rashida Tlaib and the rest of the Squad, and the profanity is uncalled-for, but at least impeachment is simply carrying out something that is permitted under the Constitution.

Also, to respond to some of the posts above:

Citizens rising up against an oppressive government is indeed a protection against tyranny.

A military coup is not citizens rising up against oppressive government; it's one branch of government overrunning another. Ask the people of Greece in the 1960s how that turned out.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:52 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
do you have a link?

Are either acceptable?
People cheered when Hilary said the election was stolen from her, and they cheered when elected dems in the US Congress said he was illegitimate and he should be impeached even before being sworn into office.

So yeah, I agree, the OP needs to cite facts and context, or just stop starting threads.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:52 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,550 times
Quote:
Not so. It was elected leaders in the 13 Colonies who declared independence and defended themselves.
So if a person, or city, or state declares their independence from the government it is no longer a coup?

Old 05-31-2021, 05:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k
2. The need for "democracy" is not clear to everyone. The US is not a democracy, and the people who think it is or should be are part of the problem
The US has always been a form of democracy. Initially the land-owner restrictions on voting meant this country functioned as somewhat of an oligarchy, but we have been a representative democracy now for 150+ years.

True, that representative nature can be termed a republic, but the important part is that the representatives are elected. Republics and democracies have always had a fair bit of overlap.

A pure democracy is probably impractical at a national scale, but we still have elements of this with ballot initiatives and similar.

I think there are very few people in the USA who would really support an authoritarian form of government, although that does seem to be advocated by some Q-anon groupies. Makes no sense to me, and really does take a big smelly dump on the sacrifices of our veterans who fought for democratic ideals.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
So if a person, or city, or state declares their independence from the government it is no longer a coup?
If a democratically-elected government declares independence, which is what happened in 1776, then that's not a coup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
How could any American not understand that a military coup is pretty much what the American Revolution was. Except that we didn't have an army so regular people just did it.
A military coup is when an army (or other military force) overthrows a government and takes charge.

As you state, there was no army in 1776...thus it wasn't a military coup. It was democratically-elected leaders who declared independence. Far different.

See the difference? A coup is when one part of government (the military) uses force to override other parts of government. That's not democratic.

When a democratically-elected government declares independence as was done in 1776 that's at least somewhat democratic. Big difference.

I'll be voting against Biden in 2024, just as I've voted against every Democratic presidential candidate in every general election that I've voted in. That's how to have "regime change".

Ask the citizens of any country that has had successful military coups how it's worked out for them. A government that is not responsive to its citizens (which is what a government that rules by force is) will, over time, eventually result in corruption and poor governance. Democracy is the best form of government, even if it doesn't result in the outcome in each election that I want, and it's shocking than in 2021 in the US it's necessary to proclaim that.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:58 PM

15,841 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Putin and the Chinese government must be just loving this thread.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:00 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
Because a lot of the GOP base is largely ignorant, uneducated and has bought into conspiracy theories (mainly as a result of the first two).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies