Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Any word from prominent Republicans about being "troubled" yet?
Based on a headline that is a lie?

I get that some don't care for the guy, but one posting an article on a subject is not the same as one calling said subject to be implemented. Now, maybe he does believe that, but maybe he doesn't. It would be nice is the media types actually sought clarification from the man himself, but we know that they can't be trusted to actually be journalists and put in work

Old 12-03-2020, 06:01 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The scary thing from the perspective of military leadership is that this Senate is not dependable in standing up for the Congress as a branch of government equal to the Executive.

The military will not take action against the president unilaterally. They will drag their heels and develop sudden telephone difficulties. When I was on the Strategic Air Command staff in the final days of Nixon, we got a quiet memo from Air Staff in the Pentagon to ignore any "unusual orders" coming directly from the White House until we got clarification from Air Staff.

The military is staffed by the president, but military authority actually stems from Congress (which is why questions about the validity of a president don't affect the validity of the military). The uniformed military leadership will drag their feet and have an eye on Congress as an equal branch of government to validate any action against an unlawfully behaving president.

The Chiefs of Staff and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff have already subtly--but publicly-- staked out their positions as "upholding the Constitution, not an individual." But they depend on Congress to define in the critical moment what the Constitution actually says to them.

If Congress rolls over for the president...that will be the most scary scenario for the generals.
So what happens if Trump orders the military to get involved in domestic matters and the Republican-controlled Senate just shrugs?

Old 12-03-2020, 06:09 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
Unfortunately- we're watching baby- boomers and various geriatrics behave like preteens.

Including a majority of C-D pointing the finger..ohh the Liberals ..oh my gosh the Conservatives.. remain on topic my geriatric counterparts.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Recounting the same votes isn't auditing.

The 'recount' is the audit. It's a Risk-limiting audit, not a recount. Read here:

State election officials have said this is not a recount, but rather a post-election audit.

The main difference between the two: A recount is typically tied to a close margin in an election, whereas post-election audits are routine and used by states to ensure that equipment and procedures counting the vote all worked properly.

In Georgia, for instance, a recount is conducted using the same scanners that read and tallied the unofficial results already released. And recounts in Georgia generally take place after election results are certified by the state. That hasn’t happened yet. Once an election is certified, a trailing candidate can request a recount if the margin is less than 0.5 percentage points. Biden currently leads by 0.28 percentage points, so Trump could still request a recount later.

So what is Georgia doing, then?
The post-election audit is being held under a new state law that required one to be conducted for the first time this year on a race of the secretary of state’s choosing. Raffensperger said he selected the presidential contest given the “national significance of this race and the closeness of this race.”

The specific type of audit that Georgia has chosen is known as “risk-limiting.” It involves checking paper ballots against machine tallies to ensure the accuracy of those machines. This year was the first time Georgia used a fleet of ballot-marking, voting machines that produce a paper record of every ballot cast in person.

Risk-limiting audits typically start with an initial sample of ballots. That sample increases depending on the level of discrepancies that are found. This kind of audit ends when either election officials reach a certain level of confidence that the outcome is correct or a full count has been performed. It is not meant to produce results that are an exact match to a previous tally.

But Georgia election officials say they will be reviewing every ballot to start. They say it will be easier for county officials to manage because the large number of ballots and the close margin are likely to result in a tally of every ballot anyway.

Was this prompted by allegations of fraud?
No. Raffensperger has said repeatedly that his office has seen no evidence of widespread fraud with the Nov. 3 election. A top official said Thursday that the point of the audit was “to show the equipment scanned the ballots properly and the counts we got were the right counts.”
[url]https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/explainer-georgia-s-upcoming-ballot-audit-recount-n1247680[/url]

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So what happens if Trump orders the military to get involved in domestic matters and the Republican-controlled Senate just shrugs?

As I said, that's the doomsday scenario for the military. The military may literally not survive such a situation.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:39 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Unfortunately- we're watching baby- boomers and various geriatrics behave like preteens.

Including a majority of C-D pointing the finger..ohh the Liberals ..oh my gosh the Conservatives.. remain on topic my geriatric counterparts.

Yeah, it does appear we Boomers are intending to break it before we leave it.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:39 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Just in the contested and corruption suspect states. Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan and Georgia. Paper ballots, watch dog poll watchers and ballot counters, only absentee ballots, no mail in ballots.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:42 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
... I thought the Hussein family & Ferdinand Marcos were out of power. The right is now nuttier than squirrel crap
Almost as nutty as what you bring. Almost.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

What about the Generation X and the Gen-Y alias Millenials?

Old 12-03-2020, 08:58 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
YESSS, this makes total sense.

The next four years will be a field day for the lowlifes, criminals, drug pushers, drug users, illegal aliens, and a nightmare for the working, upstanding average Joes so I agree, give em the rope to hang themselves and by 2024 hopefully enough folks will be sick of criminal coddling, police hobbling (with the inevitible result of rising crime) and switch things up and we'll have Pres candidate who is for law abiders and hard on criminals. And yes makes good strategic sense in the longer term.

I have very low opinions of both Trump and Biden by the way; they both creep me out and both seem like total imbeciles. It's the radical left's adoration of criminals that scares me, is the only reason I would've rather had Trump than Biden. But reallllly wish we'd had two different choices altogether.

I honestly cannot understand how ANYone who is a normal, logic driven citizen -not an overemotional weirdo- can be a fan of either of these sad case men. I made a thread about "who dislikes BOTH" and it died.
People who like Trump are the same people who enjoyed the WWE attitude era...I get it... They are tired of political correctness and tired of having to keep silent things they might really think in fear of losing their job and things of that sort. They are tired of conservative thought being censored amongst the mainstream. For example... Some of us actually do think women have genetic weaknesses that make them less suitable to certain professions (based on science and evolution mind you) and some of us see inner city crime being more of a cultural and less of a racial problem but we are not allowed to acknowledge these types of things among the mainstream ...everyone HAS to be on equal footing no matter what their status in society or what they have done.... Well some people are tired of this...these people see the swamp on the right as no different than the left and enjoyed trumps abrasive nature...more rough, in your face, and honest.

Problem is many people are very concerned with personality and empathy. They'll vote for a psychopath before voting for someone that appears to lack empathy such as Trump. Just a bit more empathy on his part and at least trying to act presidential would have got him reelected. Like I mentioned before I know people who voted biden but then Republican for everything else... This turn on trump by some suburban voters was enough because of the increased turnout in big cities for biden, and this turnout was everywhere including many red States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies