Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

New record for Thursday 12/3/2020! Keep up the great work everyone.

Wednesday: 2,873
Thursday: 2,918

New cases record as well: 218,576

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
New record for Thursday 12/3/2020! Keep up the great work everyone.

Wednesday: 2,873
Thursday: 2,918

New cases record as well: 218,576

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
USA! USA! We're number 1! We're number 1!

Old 12-03-2020, 11:28 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I dont think its a hoax, but statistically speaking, the odds of me dying are extremely rare. Because its is such a minimal risk, I choose to live life free from fear. I have zero concern about Covid and if I got it and died tomorrow, thats on me and the only ones that should be upset are my immediate family and friends. I will accept that risk and I would like to think many of the deaths to date are from people just like me who chose to accept the risk and have the mentality of whatever happens happens.
If you are under 40, unless you have some serious underlying health condition, your chances of dying from the seasonal flu are higher than dying from Covid. That's reality. If you're over 80, its pretty nasty.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Saw a report the other day that 55 million days have been taken from the lives of children with the school shutdowns.

There is so much more involved than just the virus.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
9/11 was a terrorist attack and none of them had a choice in the outcome which is why it was tragic. Much different from Covid.

Sickness and disease happen, people die and life goes on. Deaths of those that accepted the risk are just another death. I would not want anyone feeling bad for me or using my death as a fear tactic to promote mandatory precautions to others. I know at least 10 people, several were high risk that have had Covid and they experienced nothing more than what felt like a hangover for a couple days. We live in a country with a population of roughly 331 million people and less than 300K have died.
Your focus seems to be entirely on yourself. Would you feel bad if tracing showed that you personally killed people by spreading it?

Old 12-03-2020, 11:48 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Instead of protecting yourself, you expect everyone else to protect you.
Everyone wearing a mask reduces the risk for everyone.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:52 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
America’s failures have led to a new daily record in Covid-19 deaths

Quote:
On December 2, a staggering 2,885 Americans were reported to have died of Covid-19, according to the New York Times. It was the highest single-day toll of the year.

It was nearly the same number of people who died in the 9/11 attacks (2,977). And it was far more than the estimated 1,800 Americans who died over a matter of days when Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast in 2005. During World War II, from the Pearl Harbor attacks in December 1941 to Japan’s surrender, about 300 US soldiers died every day on average (and about 407,000 were dead in total by August 1945).

Old 12-04-2020, 02:52 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Are those that forgo flu shots able to get hospital services if needed? If one chooses to not wear a seatbelt or helmet and they get into an accident, do they forgo hospital services?

Yes, medical providers are dying from Covid but the same is going to happen when people taking the necessary precautions go in for Covid related issues as well. I also know a few medical providers (EMT's) that think masks are ridiculous and do nothing, so you have that group of providers as well.

Our society whines that we dont have enough employment and that we need to create jobs, yet in your scenario, it seems as though these jobs are a burden and not wanted. Those interested in becoming a medical professional do so because they want to help people, not because they like the coffee in the hospital cafeteria. People want these jobs! Those poor life decisions are keeping people employed.
Those who decide not to wear a seatbelt or helmet and end up in the hospital are not putting medical providers' lives at risk. It's not like the nurses will suddenly turn up broken legs, etc.

Ditto the flu. The medical providers I know all get vaccinated, Typically flu cases don't overwhelm the nation's hospitals.

As to EMT's believing that masks don't work, so what?

All sorts of evidence that masks work.

For example, in Kansas, the counties without masks mandates saw cases rise by over 100% in six weeks.

Those counties with mask mandates saw cases decline by an average of 6%.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/6373257002/

People chose a career in the medical profession in order to make a living while helping people, not to risk catching deadly diseases from fools.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:14 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Exponential growth gets insane pretty quick. By the time Biden takes over we will be seeing some insane numbers. We could have avoided most of this with good leadership.
If only we had like a central leader, something like.....a president, or something.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:55 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Your focus seems to be entirely on yourself. Would you feel bad if tracing showed that you personally killed people by spreading it?
Let me flip this around. I know a girl that volunteers close by and I overheard her on the phone the other day that her siblings have tested positive as well a couple of her friends; I suddenly realized why she was one of the few always masked up. Because masks arent required at this place, most people dont wear them. If I were to catch Covid from this girl and die, should she feel bad, I certainly dont think so. Should she stay at home instead if she isnt showing any symptoms, I dont think so. Those who enter an establishment where masks are not required have accepted the possibility that they are more vulnerable to catching Covid. This girl I am speaking of is taking the necessary precautions to protect others in the chance that she too is positive in my opinion. MY focus is certainly not entirely on myself, but rather allowing people to choose the precautions they want to take. Regardless, when required I still wear a mask so dont make me out to be the bad guy, I follow the rules, I just dont agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies