Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 06:58 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This right here? This is what's wrong with our nation. Selfish to the core.

It's apalling, isn't it?

Control of control?

Amen.

Just wear an effin' mask and keep your distance. Panic is not necessary.
I'll wear a mask and keep my distance, but I want my sporting events opened back up and I want my bars opened up with DJ's playing music again. Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:34 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
[quote=Ohiogirl81;59831350]This right here? This is what's wrong with our nation. Selfish to the core.

Selfish because we care about the bigger percentage of the population losing family businesses, families not being able to pay their bills or put food on the table, the increased numbers of domestic abuse cases, increased suicides, and increased drug and alcohol abuse, children not getting the proper education, etc.. This impacts the entire nation both economically and emotionally, how is this view selfish?

The smaller percentage effected by Covid are generally older, have underlying health conditions, etc. I understand they need to take extra precautions to stay safe, but I know if I was concerned, I would ensure I was properly masked up, sanitized, etc, or I would stay at home and shop online. I would not expect anyone except for myself to keep me safe. At the end of the day, if I took the necessary precautions and still got it, I wouldnt blame anyone, I would just assume it was meant to be. I dont put myself into positions where I dont like the possible outcomes. I also think we can provide guidance and assistance to those in this category on how to stay safe, but thats about the extent that I feel we need to help out.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:04 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
The smaller percentage effected by Covid are generally older, have underlying health conditions, etc.

If you think 250,000+ extra dead people in a year won't affect the economy - you're wrong. It will. Those people buy houses, buy cars, buy vacations. Those people run businesses - and perhaps even sign YOUR paycheck.

The economy will suffer PLENTY just from their deaths alone. We are all in this - no one is on the bench. This is a worldwide problem - and lots of folks in other nations NEVER had what you have today - yet I don't see them becoming emotionally unstable and jumping off bridges. I don't see them suddenly changing their drinking habits.

Nope, that's not on COVID. Sorry. But you cannot "keep yourself" safe without the active help of everyone else and vice-versa - because it's flipping contagious. Takes two to tango.

The underlying conditions include obesity and high blood pressure - approximately half the USA (yes, really). You think your economy won't suffer if HALF stay home and lock up? It will.

Best case is to suffer a bit now, and kill this thing off. There is NO option where you just live your life AND ALSO it goes away on its own. That is not one of the choices.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:23 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
What people still have to understand is that the death rate remains tiny.

Yesterday I tried to get a covid test. It was impossible. I gave up. The truth is for the 200K cases they tested for.. There probably are about 400K cases out there.

Yet the death rate is a tiny 2000.

To give you an idea, I was looking at a documentary yesterday on the queen mom. She died at the age of 102.. from what? A cold. That is right.. old people can die of colds. At that time we were sane and not sheltering in place to keep her from dying.
But now we are... insanity.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The smaller percentage effected by Covid are generally older, have underlying health conditions, etc.

If you think 250,000+ extra dead people in a year won't affect the economy - you're wrong. It will. Those people buy houses, buy cars, buy vacations. Those people run businesses - and perhaps even sign YOUR paycheck.

The economy will suffer PLENTY just from their deaths alone. We are all in this - no one is on the bench. This is a worldwide problem - and lots of folks in other nations NEVER had what you have today - yet I don't see them becoming emotionally unstable and jumping off bridges. I don't see them suddenly changing their drinking habits.

Nope, that's not on COVID. Sorry. But you cannot "keep yourself" safe without the active help of everyone else and vice-versa - because it's flipping contagious. Takes two to tango.

The underlying conditions include obesity and high blood pressure - approximately half the USA (yes, really). You think your economy won't suffer if HALF stay home and lock up? It will.

Best case is to suffer a bit now, and kill this thing off. There is NO option where you just live your life AND ALSO it goes away on its own. That is not one of the choices.
Sorry, I completely disagree.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times

No. What people still have to understand is that this is not (primarily) about death. It's about resources. If NO ONE DIED - nothing would change. Because this is about overwhelming hospitals and doctors at the local level. That's it.

Dead people do not need doctors. That's how we know it's not (mainly) about death.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:33 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
No. What people still have to understand is that this is not (primarily) about death. It's about resources. If NO ONE DIED - nothing would change. Because this is about overwhelming hospitals and doctors at the local level. That's it.
Dead people do not need doctors. That's how we know it's not (mainly) about death.
And the proof of that is....

Currently on World-o-Meter there are only 25K serious cases. That is only 10K more than during the summer.

I think we can handle it.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:43 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
Educate yourselves about the type of testing they’re using and how it’s causing positive results by false readings of viral load.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Educate yourselves about the type of testing they’re using and how it’s causing positive results by false readings of viral load.
A co worker of mine was told he needed to get tested because he went out of state for the holidays. When he went to his care provider he was turned away because they told him that unless he was experiencing symptoms, they wont do it.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:13 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:

good luck getting the Trump haters to talk about anything but a death toll they can blame on Trump.

it would be great to get better info from the hospitals.

I've seen TX say that > 15% capacity by Covid is a threshold for action/concern. They show 22 regions, and the % in each that are ICU.

I've seen lots of hospitals that have non-ICU bed capacity = Covid usage, meaning non-ICU Covid cases could duble from their high level, and they'd technically have the capacity (and I'm only speaking of staffed beds)

So think about that, when it comes to "overwhelming hospitals". Why can't the hospitals say "We're worried at X capacity because of Y". "We plan for 100 flu hospitalizations at a time, but we've got 300 Covid", etc.

BTW, nationally, hospitalization rate is slowing over last 4 weeks. A 24% weekly increase early November has become a 12% increase (same holds true for ICU)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies