Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:51 AM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well look at any mostly black High School and how do they perform?
I'll bite. Of course predominantly Black high schools in the inner city are going to perform poorly. Rough, inner city area.

A school like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_...ry_Life_School

That school does much better.

Big difference between a predominantly Black high school in the ghetto, and a private school, or an HBCU which is more likely to draw from a better student pool. Again, I think the reason some people make slights towards HBCUs is because they view Black people as a whole as inferior. What is a point is having a dialogue with someone who views your race as inferior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:04 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,963,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll bite. Of course predominantly Black high schools in the inner city are going to perform poorly. Rough, inner city area.

A school like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_...ry_Life_School

That school does much better.

Big difference between a predominantly Black high school in the ghetto, and a private school, or an HBCU which is more likely to draw from a better student pool. Again, I think the reason some people make slights towards HBCUs is because they view Black people as a whole as inferior. What is a point is having a dialogue with someone who views your race as inferior?
I'm sure HBCU's have much much better students than the public mostly black schools, but pretty much every college in the country uses affirmative action and by definition, it has lower standards for black students, therefore they are more likely to underperform. People just assume the same for HBCU's.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,104,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Whites and non blacks hav been attending HBCUs for decades. Why the outrage?
the outrage is reserved for people who are uninformed.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:25 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,104,849 times
Quote:
I'm sure HBCU's have much much better students than the public mostly black schools, but pretty much every college in the country uses affirmative action and by definition, it has lower standards for black students, therefore they are more likely to underperform. People just assume the same for HBCU's.
real or not, many black colleges have a stigma they don't measure up to predominately white colleges.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 AM

13,679 posts, read 20,818,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
real or not, many black colleges have a stigma they don't measure up to predominately white colleges.

NUMBERS!

HCBUs are focusing on 12% of the population.

Everybody else is focusing on 100% of the population.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:20 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,109,311 times
Quote:
Well look at any mostly black High School and how do they perform?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Here is average IQ by State, in America. Non-slave North heavily represented at the top; Deep South heavily represented at the bottom:

We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening

Old 12-15-2020, 09:46 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,963,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Here is average IQ by State, in America. Non-slave North heavily represented at the top; Deep South heavily represented at the bottom:

We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening

I don't understand the comparison at all. It doesn't make sense. Why would you compare states and slavery? Racial IQ's have already been compared as has school performance.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,039,632 times
She is going to get a good life lesson. Sometimes a good hard lesson is what is needed to realize how unwelcome you are. She will find out. Hope she doesn't get physically attacked. That would be pretty bad, but probably just not accepted by a large majority. Most will put on the fake hello for a while though.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:42 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,109,311 times
Quote:
I don't understand the comparison at all. It doesn't make sense. Why would you compare states and slavery? Racial IQ's have already been compared as has school performance.
Well we're talking about why some people don't think very highly of HBCUs' standards. If they are pulling from the group at the bottom, that plays into it.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,039,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

There is less than a 10 point swing total in 50 states. My IQ is much higher than any of them to be quite honest. I don't feel it means much. I don't think it is "eye opening" at all. Seems CA is very low, but as a percentage the numbers aren't very meaningful. Too close to call really and the black population really hurts a lot of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies