Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 10:33 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Are you really saying that one's choice of religion should be based on what is most financially profitable? I'm not sure that you understand religion.
No, but if your religion festivities are not given importance and are going to conflict with your ability to move up the economic ladder in a particular country, you assimilate to do what’s most profitable.
In the end, I want to live a decent middle-upper middle class life, and our group has had to compromise a lot of our cultural values at the expense of moving up the ladder. We just didn’t make a big fuss about it like some other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 10:35 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Are you really saying that one's choice of religion should be based on what is most financially profitable? I'm not sure that you understand religion.
I may be wrong but I think what he's saying is it's best to try to fit in, to not stand out from the norm too much, if one wants to advance professionally.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I may be wrong but I think what he's saying is it's best to try to fit in, to not stand out from the norm too much, in order to advance professionally.
Exactly, this is what I was saying .
For example, Muslims are considered too much of a liability if they follow traditional strict prayer routines, because it compromises their ability to get work on time with quality and our higher ups don’t view that favorably.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:40 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
It's still early, but here goes: Merry Generic Gift-Giving Holiday of Your Choice!

Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
If you can’t assimilate with the majority culture, then how can you expect to build professional relationships and make money in this country ?
Sure, I’d like Diwali to be a national holiday, but let’s face it, nobody cares for that and it will never happen. There is no use requesting the government because they will just react with hostility and forcibly deport all legally present H1B folks from the south & Southeast Asia region, which would devastate my friends and family.
No one is talking about mandating a national holiday. The discussion is about wishing others well during this season of many holidays. That's all.. One can assimilate culturally and still feel free to celebrate their personal religious beliefs.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:42 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
*shrug* I don't care if somebody says "Merry Christmas", so long as the tone isn't that of a 'challenge'--I've had people say "Merry Christmas" to me in such a way that you could *tell* they were just itching for a 'fight' if I said anything other than "Merry Christmas" in return.

If it's the lighthearted, friendly greeting tone used when its said, I'm fine with it.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Christmas and Hanukkah have been the predominant American holidays in December. It is the Judeo/Christian tradition that the United States of American was founded on. The belief in the Messiah and the birth of that Messiah.
Judeo- Christian?

The US was not founded on Judeo/ Christian tradition. The term was first used in the 1930’s as Hitler rose to power. It was penned by a Christian missionary whose goal in life was to convert Jewish people. The term did not become a thing until the Cold War and was used to differentiate between the US and Communists.

Jewish people were historically excluded from a variety of social groups. Nativism and intolerance among a segment of the white Protestant population were aimed at Eastern European Jews and to some extent, Southern European Catholics. Jewish people were particularly resented in higher education with the Ivy League establishing maximums on the number of Jewish admissions.

During and after WW1, immigration restrictions were imposed on Jewish people.

Took nearly 100 years after being founded for the Federal Government to declare Christmas an unpaid federal holiday for federal employees, in DC. This was a reaction to lobbying from banks and organizations representing retailers.

The WH hosted a Christmas party on and off, beginning in 1800.

The first WH Hanukkah party was held in 2001 and the tradition persists.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:48 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
*shrug* I don't care if somebody says "Merry Christmas", so long as the tone isn't that of a 'challenge'--I've had people say "Merry Christmas" to me in such a way that you could *tell* they were just itching for a 'fight' if I said anything other than "Merry Christmas" in return.

If it's the lighthearted, friendly greeting tone used when its said, I'm fine with it.
Exactly. I hate when someone says Merry Christmas " to me with that edgy tone, just daring me to say anything other than the same back.

As I've said before here, I don't know when people began saying it weeks ahead of time. "Merry Christmas" used to be reserved for Christmas Eve and Day, not weeks ahead of time.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post

Exactly. When the cashier at Target says "Happy Holidays!" and Evangelical Karen glares and snarls "It's MERYY CHRISTMAS!! JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON" That is when we have a problem.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No one is talking about mandating a national holiday. The discussion is about wishing others well during this season of many holidays. That's all.. One can assimilate culturally and still feel free to celebrate their personal religious beliefs.
Not always. It often conflicts with business interests and I’ve often had to forego cultural festivals to help my boss.
North American Corporate never has an issue with you taking time off on Christmas, but for some reason, taking half a day off for other cultural holidays are a issue and they don’t always approve .
I always offer them a compromise by saying “I’ll work more the week before to compensate”, but even then, it can be rather difficult to get my request through depending on the HR personnel dealing with your requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies