Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:08 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas

In polite society one can not know the religious disposition of everyone one deals with. The various religions have winter holidays of one sort or another, and of course there are agnostics and atheists.

But we all like to take a little time off, and then there is the very secular new year which is accompanied by celebrations.

Having been a devout Christian almost ALL of my adult life, I never had a problem with the term happy holidays, it seems to be a nice greeting anyone could appreciate.

I never understood the complaint against it. The claim that 'Merry Christmas' was under attack was complete nonsense from the first time I heard it many years ago. It remains nonsense to this very day.

And if anyone complains about 'Christ' being taken out of Christmas, they are too late, that ship sailed over 100 years ago. Today people treasure that magical feeling around the holiday: evergreen trees and colorful lights, and traditional melodies but often lacking the religious dimension or the true christian spirit of caring and sharing. It's more like a celebration of binge consumerism.

Santa Claus was an Orthodox Christian bishop Nicholas, renowned in centuries past for his charitable giving and yet 99% of so-called Christians in America seem to have no idea about any of that, they don't know who he was and don't care.

Today he is a marketing tool, a mythical figure, more like a pagan idol than a very real Christ centered spiritual holy man setting a good example for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well *I* do...but I recognize that not everyone does. I wish everyone the peace and joy of the season as appropriate to their beliefs. If I don't know what those beliefs are, I wish them Happy Holidays.

Falls under the whole "love your neighbor as you love yourself" concept (even though that seems a difficult idea for some people lately).
I'm simply pointing out the historical origins of the Christmas season. Some in our postmodern world want to supplement it with holidays or meanings that are fabrications intended to diminish the original intent of the Christmas holidays.

Yes, the left does have difficulty loving all those Trump supporting rubes. I hope they can move beyond their hatred and angst now that the leader of their Utopian nirvana is waiting in the wings to assume power.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
"Merry Christmas" was never under attack. That was just more made up BS from Trump and others.

In other words, a false grievance, which is alike to most of the issues Republicans run on. It's a bunch of chain jerking.
Actually it was Bill O’ Reilly/ Fox News who made up the modern version of the WoC, in 2004. It continues to play well with a segment of the population which is why Trump revived it. It’s BS used to divide the people, the bread and butter of some politicians and some cable news celebrities.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:12 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The birth of the messiah is a bit of a sticking point with the "Judeo" part of that alliance.
For some professing Christians it may be, but not for me and many other Christians. Jesus was, as I'm certain you know, a Jew and was often referred to as Rabbi.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:15 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,697 times
Bring back Merry Christmas.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:21 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Merry Christmas

And if anyone complains about 'Christ' being taken out of Christmas
Instead of focusing on keeping Christ in Christmas, I'd like to see some more keeping Christ in Christians.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:29 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Season's Greeting and Happy Holidays was the thought on greeting cards 60 years ago.

The holy rollers made saying Merry Christmas a thing years ago to keep their troops in line.

What if I am selling ties at Macy's to someone buying a gift? How do I know what the gift is for? My SIL has a Christmas Eve birthday.

It is silly.

But that's how the religious right stokes the mistrust.

Anybody offended by happy holidays is badly behaved.

Stop playing their game.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:29 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I'm simply pointing out the historical origins of the Christmas season. Some in our postmodern world want to supplement it with holidays or meanings that are fabrications intended to diminish the original intent of the Christmas holidays.
"Holiday" comes from an old English word for Holy Day. So I don't know why this is such a big deal for Christians.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:38 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post

Yes, the left does have difficulty loving all those Trump supporting rubes. I hope they can move beyond their hatred and angst now that the leader of their Utopian nirvana is waiting in the wings to assume power.
The historical origins are the early Christian church co-opting a pagan holiday but go on.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:41 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Is Merry Christmas still an issue with some folks these days? Just two simple pleasant words? After all it is the time of Christmas, the happiest time of year, Santa Claus, celebrating, gift giving, etc.
I see nothing wrong with merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies