Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 07:38 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times

Advertisements

Their health insurance companies might require them to implement this policy. On the other hand, since the vaccine is so effective, covid won't be really a threat to those who aren't scared of it and get the shot... so why make it mandatory. Let those who want to get sick, get sick and spread it to others afraid of a vaccine. As long as its a free choice, I'm good with it.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:47 PM

1,264 posts, read 562,758 times
outside of workplace mandates or statewide mandates for everyone, you could also see other measures to encourage

ie. NY now mandates 2 weeks paid time off for the first instance of quarantine. If you've recently traveled to a hot spot, however, they do not have to cover the time and you're on your own using sick/vacation/etc. I could easily see that coming down with the vaccine.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:07 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
This thread is intended for those that don't feel comfortable taking the vaccine. If you are, feel free to scroll on by.

I did notice that Mark Zuckerberg said he would not require Facebook employees to get the shots if they didn't want to.

I suspect most Facebook employees work from home either all the time or most of the time.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:44 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
At the least I would insist on seeing a document signed by the company president saying the company accepts all responsibility for any side effects or negative impacts associated with the vaccine and provides a minimum of a $1 million life insurance policy. Fortunately I work at a company that won't insist on employees taking a vaccine that has been rushed through development and has no testing regarding long-term impacts or side effects.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:51 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
That's a good question!
I once owned a business and had employees.

I think if I was still in that business, I would pay for all the costs of inoculation and require my workers to get shot unless they had something from their doctor that declared the vaccine was a hazard to their health.

If someone refused, I would let them go.

To me, it's a simple matter of economics. Any business that can show it is safe from spreading or catching the disease is bound to do more business with less hassle nowadays than one that isn't safe.

I would need every extra nickel that came right now, as would my employees. The loss of a good worker who refused to take the vaccine would hurt the biz, but a departure would be an opportunity for a gofer to step up and show some newly developed skills.
If not, I could always join the work force on the floor and do the job myself. I had to train almost every single employee I ever hired anyway because of the specialized nature of the biz.

I wouldn't be happy about letting anyone go, for sure. Finding the right person for the job was always extremely difficult for me, but once found, the folks who worked for me were both very good at what they did and were very happy doing it. I always had a darned good crew, and I never fired anyone until the final day it was open. The last person I fired that day was myself, and it was a very black day for me.

But exposing a worker of mine to the virus and then watching him die or become disabled would be a day as black, and a day I would do something about if I could.

Health and safety for all is more important than any individual's right of refusal to me when I'm ultimately responsible for everyone who's working under my roof.

I understand that I could possibly be sued for such an action, but I think a court and a jury would see things my way.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
I'm so close to retirement, it doesn't matter what they "mandate". I'm not taking that vaccine, period.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:48 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
My life, health and autonomy is worth more than any job.

Self employment is the way to go.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:14 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,555,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm in Texas which is a at will state. You can be fired for any reason at anytime. My guess is most of the larger employers are going to require vaccination in order to avoid lawsuits. It's as simple as either you take it or get fired. Your options as a employee are pretty limited.
couldn't you get sick from the vaccine. this vaccine might cause auto immune problems long term. if a business can force employees to get vaccinated then they should get sued if someone gets sick from the vaccine. I heard this vaccine could be more more dangerous than the virus. chances are your not going to get the virus. if you do most survive. but what if tons of people have long term problems from the vaccine? id rather risk covid than have a new mrna vaccine injected in me. In 1976 tons of people got injured from the swine flu vaccine. you could take something now and get cancer 5 or 10 years down the line. these vaccines are not like the measles or mumps vaccines they are brand new and work differently than injecting a weak version of a virus.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:16 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
This thread is intended for those that don't feel comfortable taking the vaccine. If you are, feel free to scroll on by.

I did notice that Mark Zuckerberg said he would not require Facebook employees to get the shots if they didn't want to.
has he indicated whether he'll pay to contact trace his 45,000 employees?

Old 12-15-2020, 08:18 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
couldn't you get sick from the vaccine. this vaccine might cause auto immune problems long term. if a business can force employees to get vaccinated then they should get sued if someone gets sick from the vaccine.
nobody is forcing anyone to get the shot. They can just let you go, just like they can if they have a workplace rule against cigarette smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies