Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 06:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I liked the original term better - it was called "Horses and sparrows economy". From the observation that if you feed your horses more, the sparrows also get fatter. You just sort of have to ignore what the sparrows are forced to eat.
you're saying the sparrows could only eat ****? Or that was the easiest meal? They couldn't swoop in and ut, eating the horses grain? They couldn't fly several hundred yards, finding seeds, worms, grubs, etc?

Quote:
Money trickles up. Give a poor guy $100, and he spends the ever-lovin' out of it. Poor people tend to have a lot of unfulfilled needs and will set that money in circulation, pronto.

Give a rich guy $100, and his stock holdings will move imperceptibly upwards.
Why do poor people have unfulfilled needs, unless they are disabled? Because other than unexpected true disability, cannot they work for these needs?

Quote:
And money being in circulation is what makes a vibrant economy.
Is this accepted by a vast majority of economists? What does the velocity under Carter being higher than any year since tell us?

Quote:
You think that's clever and that's sad. I'm not a butler or valet, so no one is hiring me out of their personal wealth. Used to work in the movie business. And the guy spending $10 to take his date to see a movie - he was the one providing my salary. Not the studio head, rich though he was.
Do the studios that produce the movies also own the theaters? Why would you use the Studio head as your example, instead of the celebrity movie star?

Did you get paid the same hourly wage whether it was the first weekend of release (very high demand) or a dud like Ashtar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If we are talking wealthy individuals and their tax cuts. Well, who cares ? I'm pretty sure my neighbor is wealthy. He owns a land / condo development company. His house is 6k sq ft, he has a Ferrari, Mclaren, Porsche , BMW , Mercedes, Escalade and a Jeep. A helicopter (not sure if it is his) has landed in his yard a couple of times. I'm not wealthy and I don't care that he gets tax cuts, or that it didn't trickle down to me. I'm fairly certain even with his cuts, he pays more of a percentage of his wealth than I do.

If we are talking Corporations. I'm all on board tax cuts for them if they invest their money into this country. Not plants, workers, etc in low cost countries. When they are investing money into this country, I do believe the "trickle down" works.
I would say it's one of the (probably few) failings of the TJIA - not having a mechanism for more of the corporate tax cut to become jobs/higher wages.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Capitalism left unchecked will always devolve into fuedalisn.
like where?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No. The question is why anybody should be forced to pay more taxes than other people?

That is taxation without representation.
so you want the same $ tax, regardless of income?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No.

I wasn’t assigning any value judgement one way or another.

I was just pointing out that the post I quoted = information that is wrong and how it is wrong.

Every point isn’t adversarial.

Everything isn’t ‘Us vs. Them’.
true.

but someone (Sam Walton) created a business and wealth during our lifetimes, yes?

If his kids were sitting back and "living off the fat of the land", as so many people seem to think of those who inherit great wealth and do nothing, that would be one thing.

But his children, though not what we might think of as 1st generation wealth (themselves created something out of nothing), did generally "work" for the entity that created their wealth, yes?

Are any of them drawing $1MM salaries from WM for sitting at home doing nothing?

Old 12-17-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
As a politician, have you ever been bribed and bankrolled by a poor person?
the weird thing is, when it comes time to vote - which is how politicians actually get the opportunity to make policy/laws - my vote counts the exact same as the multi-billionaire that lives 10 miles from me.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:14 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Studies can be wrong. I bet if I looked at the details, I could poke holes in it.

Buying power... it hasn't been flat for everyone.

Buying power hasn't been flat for the poor. Their income remains at very little. But when there are increases in the minimum wages and increases in business costs because of burdensome regulations, it causes prices to increase - which makes it harder for the poor to purchase goods.
True about that. There was a time when eating out at a steak restaurant or buying a Mercedes or BMW was meant for the wealthy. Now it's not uncommon to see people who live off of food stamps still be able to go to the steak houses once a week, go hang out at the local cigar shop and drive around in a Mercedes.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:34 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the weird thing is, when it comes time to vote - which is how politicians actually get the opportunity to make policy/laws - my vote counts the exact same as the multi-billionaire that lives 10 miles from me.
No, the guy you are voting for was put in the media for you to select from by the billionaires that funded their campaign.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Okay, I'll admit it...I'm an evil rich guy. I hope I don't get banned by C-D for admitting it. I'm not top 1% rich though, so some of you might still not block me out.

I hope you all realize the difference between top 2% and top 1% is massive.

So, I'm only a top 2%'er, so not sure I qualify to respond to this topic, but here goes anyways...

I bought a Porche from a dealership in Seattle. The sales lady, who was newly graduated from college, & just starting out made a nice commission on the sale. Is that trickle down? A truck driver delivered it to me in Georgia. The truck driver did not appear to be rich to me....but looks can be deceiving.

I bought a new home in Florida. The sales guy, who was poor after a recent divorce, made a nice commission on it. Is that trickle down?

After buying the home, we had a parade of small businesses do mods to the home...screened in lanai, change the landscaping, plantation blinds, hang a chandelier, install ceiling fans, ect.. None of those small businesses & contractors were rich, most middle class. Is that trickle down?

I'm looking at buying a boat, the sales guy is an ex-law enforcement officer who just did a career change so he could feed his wife and 3 kids, and be able to buy a home some day. He'll make a nice commission of the sale of the boat to me. Is that trickle down?

Maybe I don't understand what Libs mean by trickle down.

So you're probably making 250k a year, as a 2 percenter and you're calling yourself rich, . Is it any wonder why we have common ppl who continually protect trickle down economics even when it doesn't benefit them, or benefit very little? Beach, you're not rich, you're a well to do pleb, but a pleb nonetheless. The tax cuts are mostly to benefit the top 1% of 1%, meaning the ppl who actually bribe for those tax cuts like Bezos, Zuckerberg, etc. You will be among the ppl paying for those tax cuts years down the road. That's how it works. You don't drive up the deficit with tax cuts, with no way to pay for it. Someone needs to pay when huge corporations and billionaies don't have to pay a cent in federal income taxes. Even if you benefit a tiny bit now with a few crumbs thrown your way, you'll pay back more in the long run. Tax cuts are not free.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
So you're probably making 250k a year, as a 2 percenter and you're calling yourself rich, . Is it any wonder why we have common ppl who continually protect trickle down economics even when it doesn't benefit them, or benefit very little? Beach, you're not rich, you're a well to do pleb, but a pleb nonetheless. The tax cuts are mostly to benefit the top 1% of 1%, meaning the ppl who actually bribe for those tax cuts like Bezos, Zuckerberg, etc. You will be among the ppl paying for those tax cuts years down the road. That's how it works. You don't drive up the deficit with tax cuts, with no way to pay for it. Someone needs to pay when huge corporations and billionaies don't have to pay a cent in federal income taxes. Even if you benefit a tiny bit now with a few crumbs thrown your way, you'll pay back more in the long run. Tax cuts are not free.
Please explain to me why allowing people to keep their own money is called “benefit”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies