Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 07:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,959,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The science I've read disagrees with you regarding masks. There are 49 different studies that say they do.
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...n-why-they-do/

Breakthrough cases result in less than 1% so hospitalizations and deaths from breakthrough cases would be significantly less than that. Much less than for those unvaccinated.
The mask effectiveness has a lot to do with the type and how the people wear them. How many are properly trained in how to do that the correct way? They pull them, touch them, reuse them, stick them in gross places only to put them back on after touching everything and the nasty, gross mask itself. Children are a whole other gross scene. They wear the same ones daily, touching and taking them on and off.

That said, I wouldn't care if people always wore masks as I have seen the spit fly while everyone talks. Especially where food and drinks are served. I have seen it land on people's food when they serve it while speaking to them and cooks should have always had to wear them.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:51 PM

20,796 posts, read 8,625,192 times
Heard that stock prices on Moderna will plummet soon as the Novavax, or whatever it is called, will be FDA approved. It is a traditional flu vax so people will be more open to using it. Sell your stock now!

Old 08-18-2021, 07:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,959,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some restaurants did shut down, but still had carry out. It didn't last that long though. But I know it was devastating for many small businesses. These are the things that happen when there is a pandemic. Covid isn't political, it just does what it does until it doesn't have hosts. That's when drastic measures have to be taken. It's a sad and unfortunate truth.
Covid itself is not political. Our government used it for political purposes and it has made a bigger mess of things. Go figure. Every time they stick their nose where they are not the experts, it becomes a shambles. Take education or healthcare in this country, for example.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:57 PM

8,421 posts, read 4,590,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
24,000 children will be vaccinated in a stadium in Australia next week. No parents will be allowed access.

https://twitter.com/YouKnowMares/sta...67193915969543

This is just nuts. Wow

Where is Finster-roo?

Old 08-18-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I think you mean nightmares. I hope companies don't bow. That's the way it should be, but there are more and more companies voluntarily mandating every day. The Feds are exercising their power in ways never before imagined too. Look at the new threat on nursing homes today. If they receive Medicare funding they have to mandate the shot. There aren't a few, it's thousands of NH employees not vaccinated.

Biden could hit private non medical businesses too in similar ways too. No opportunities for gov't loans, removing available tax breaks, etc. if they don't mandate.

I suspect people on Medicare or Medicaid will be required to be jabbed very soon.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 677,908 times
I don’t think that’s what he was saying (more they’d have a better shot 3 in 100 days). But of course there will be shot 4. It was always going to become endemic.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,459,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Where is Finster-roo?
Anyone who had bothered to google this would have seen this is a large vaccination event for year 12 students which I assume is the equivalent of our 17-18 year old high school seniors.

Not like they need mommy to hold their hand and walk them through a vaccine line.

I fail to see what the problem is.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lets say your numbers above are 100% perfect for the sake of argument. I get where you are coming from. It would be great if we had a vaccine that worked 100% of the time and had zero side effects. That seems to be the bar for most people against the vaccine and it fails that. For me its the lesser of two evils not picking the perfect choice because that does not exist. And I get that if someone is younger, say under 30 probably best to not get the vaccine. Your numbers are useful.

Europe has had 1.2 million deaths due to covid. 12k have died of the vaccine or after getting the vaccine. If one can say maybe covid did not kill them but sort of pushed them over the edge. Same could be said about the vaccine. The EU has had 53 million cases. Compared to 1.1 million injuries. Just with these raw numbers its 50 to 100 times safer to get the vaccine. And another layer on that is 275 million in the EU have at least one dose. Compare that to how many have actually had covid.

Thanks for the numbers makes me glad I got the vaccine. Regarding this booster talked about. People should be immunity tested first. If they are fine, don't get the booster. That is what I will do.

So as long as 51% of the vaccinated survive both the shot and the covid they get, you are all good with advocating the vaccine. That's what you are saying only with different percentages. As long as the vaxed column has higher numbers then the unvaxed then everything is fine.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:16 PM

30,214 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I suspect people on Medicare or Medicaid will be required to be jabbed very soon.

I have always felt people on the public dole should have to comply. People getting welfare should be drug tested. If someone does not like the above yank their benefits. As a Libertarian I don't think we should be handing out money period. So if that speeds up that outcome so be it. Now people that have paid into SS that is different. People that have paid into SS their whole lives should not be forced to get the vaccine. But others yes.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,989,668 times
Another one

Quote:
Victor Dominello diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy after Covid-19 press conference

NSW’s Customer Service Minister has taken to social media to confirm the reason for his “droopy eye”, which sparked concern after Wednesday’s press conference.
Victor Dominello, who was there to speak about business grants, said people had reached out to him wondering if he was “winking at the camera” or if he had suffered a stroke.

But on Wednesday night he confirmed via Instagram that he had been diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy, a temporary facial paralysis that has no known exact cause.
“About 48 hours ago I felt a pain in my skull behind my right ear. This morning I woke up with pins and needles on the right side of my tongue,” he wrote on Wednesday night.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...761c73745a7410
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.