Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 02:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m old enough to remember when drug and gang violence was much worse. I think the War on Drugs went too far with the mandatory minimums and the three strikes laws in places like California were horrible, but I do think it reduced a lot of the gang and drug violence. It picked up when the Mexican cartels got more and more powerful, but that’s more on their side of the border. There are definitely a lot of drugs here but I don’t think we will ever get rid of them completely. I just don’t want our government or private corporations in the manufacturing business. We all know that private companies could really ramp up the addiction and all the problems would increase a thousandfold.
Quote:
It picked up when the Mexican cartels got more and more powerful, but that’s more on their side of the border.
Could be you do not poop where you do business --- they are here and they are well funded and they do no how to intimidate those that would oppose them. Let your google do some informing.

Taxes and regulation --- and drugs. Got to legalize it first though, before the government can step in and do what the government does best --- drive the cost down and tax the hell out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:47 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
Homicides are up a bit across the board.
A bit? How about serious increases. That's what you get for not allowing police to do their jobs, i.e. defunding.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Could be you do not poop where you do business --- they are here and they are well funded and they do no how to intimidate those that would oppose them. Let your google do some informing.

Taxes and regulation --- and drugs. Got to legalize it first though, before the government can step in and do what the government does best --- drive the cost down and tax the hell out of it.
can't rep you again but Amen to that!

Old 12-31-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A bit? How about serious increases. That's what you get for not allowing police to do their jobs, i.e. defunding.
Which police departments were defunded, and how does a police officer prevent a homicide?

Old 12-31-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Which police departments were defunded, and how does a police officer prevent a homicide?
New York City, Minneapolis, Seattle, LA have had serious budget cuts. And how do they prevent homicides? Being able to arrest and detain for minor offenses. And maybe be a bit rough with non-arrested suspects.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m old enough to remember when drug and gang violence was much worse. I think the War on Drugs went too far with the mandatory minimums and the three strikes laws in places like California were horrible, but I do think it reduced a lot of the gang and drug violence. It picked up when the Mexican cartels got more and more powerful, but that’s more on their side of the border. There are definitely a lot of drugs here but I don’t think we will ever get rid of them completely. I just don’t want our government or private corporations in the manufacturing business. We all know that private companies could really ramp up the addiction and all the problems would increase a thousandfold.
Crime was high when they first started talking about 3 strikes, but when they signed it into law the crime rate was dropping and continued to drop after it was put into effect. Some criminologists suggest that it 'might' have been responsible for about 5% of the drop in the crime rate, but it has cost billions of dollars and kept inmates in prison in some cases until they are too old to effectively commit a crime.

Drug cartels exist because there is demand for their product, and the price goes up as it becomes more dangerous for the cartel to deliver the drugs, and when the price goes up on that end street dealers also increase the price and fights over territory frequently become deadly.

I don't want Johnson and Johnson making meth either, believe me. And I don't want the government controlling drug distribution as they do with alcohol because that conveys a message that somehow this substance is ok to use if you just follow the government's rules. But important to this discussion is to understand that only a very, very small segment of our population ends up addicted to drugs. If we quit arresting them unless they are breaking a law other than having a dime bag of meth in their pocket, and use the media to describe it as an illness, and run ads that show drug addiction as being as un-fun as diabetes and we might not have to worry much about this issue in the future. If it doesn't work I doubt if it would be any worse than what we are doing now.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
New York City, Minneapolis, Seattle, LA have had serious budget cuts. And how do they prevent homicides? Being able to arrest and detain for minor offenses. And maybe be a bit rough with non-arrested suspects.
Budget cuts due to 'defunding' or because of the pandemic? This crap about arresting and detaining people for minor offenses is Giuliani's failed idea. It doesn't work, it never did and it never will. For the most part the people you arrest for minor offenses are only committing minor offenses.

Quote:
We use structural equation modeling to estimate the simultaneous relationship between arrest and homicide rates between 2010 and 2015 in 53 large cities. We find no evidence of an effect of arrest rates on city homicide rates for any offense category for any year in this period, including 2015, the year of the spike in homicide levels. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...745-9133.12414
Quote:
De-policing may be occurring to some degree in some places today, but it did not explain the homicide rise after Ferguson. And again, if reduced police activity were the main reason violent crime has increased this summer, property crime rates would also be increasing, not declining. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...emic-protests/

Old 12-31-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Budget cuts due to 'defunding' or because of the pandemic? This crap about arresting and detaining people for minor offenses is Giuliani's failed idea. It doesn't work, it never did and it never will. For the most part the people you arrest for minor offenses are only committing minor offenses.
Believe me it worked.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Believe me it worked.
Of course catching violent criminals and putting them in jail prevents crime.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:37 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Bad economic times means higher crime.

The U.S. had been trending in a positive direction since the early 90s and unfortunately, it's looking like Trump has reversed a lot of that progress. Hopefully this is just a small blip and not a new trend back to the kind of violence seen in the 70s and 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies