Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:33 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,051,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
oh the america first garbage? new slogan: biden first
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Biden is the swamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
He also had 40+ years to contribute to the mess Trump inherited. Let's keep it factual.
When will you learn that you have BDS as bad if not worse than when you claim I and others have TDS. Trump was the real swamp giving family, donors and loyalists cabinet posts or positions. Sen. Sessions, Steve Bannon, Michael Flynn, Linda McMahon and Betsy DeVos to name a few. As bad as Biden is, Biden at least doesn't give THIS much loyalty to the donor class. Explain that with out but Obama or now but Biden comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 09:42 AM

45,671 posts, read 24,174,384 times
So the govt. spending bill with the stimulus add on has been at Mar A Lago since Thursday. I get it -- Christmas. But if you are going to take time on your Christmas vacation to tweet about Vogue not putting Melania on the cover of fashion magazine, you might have time to address this important bill.

(For information purposes -- Anna Wintour the eccentric editor of Vogue stated loudly and proudly she would not put Melania on the cover -- it is petty and childish but who gives a !@#$ what these stupid magazines do).

Anyways -- I wandered off topic.

Trump could have stated loudly and proudly (my new fave expression) back in October that the line items of foreign aid presented by his budget should be eliminated and that Congress should focus on essential spending only and that he would support a substantial stimulus package that would get checks into the hands of taxpayers and that would help small businesses. He didn't -- he busy campaigning -- kind of understandably and then he was busy whining about how he won when he didn't. Now he's playing golf....and decided oh I don't like the 600 or the foreign aid I proposedi n MY budget....lol.

And yes it is swampy of both parties. But now Dems have said they support a 2000K check and Republicans said no.

So let's blame Biden. Wonder if we will hear from Trump today on whether or not he is going to settle for this govt. spending bill with a stimulus component that is not enough but it is better than zero...or will he refuse.

I'm not convinced he should sign the bill but given that the Republicans have no intention of doing his idea of 2000K check....it is clear something has to happen now. Unemployment funds have run out, people are going to get evicted...and this starts to escalate the problems with our economy.

Our household has seen no drop in income. We are fine...but I know so many are suffering. I don't need 2000K or 600K.....but I get some do.

I wish we were better at figuring out how to care for those struggling right now without just throwing money in the air and hoping it lands in the right place.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:20 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So the govt. spending bill with the stimulus add on has been at Mar A Lago since Thursday. I get it -- Christmas. But if you are going to take time on your Christmas vacation to tweet about Vogue not putting Melania on the cover of fashion magazine, you might have time to address this important bill.

(For information purposes -- Anna Wintour the eccentric editor of Vogue stated loudly and proudly she would not put Melania on the cover -- it is petty and childish but who gives a !@#$ what these stupid magazines do).

Trump could have stated loudly and proudly (my new fave expression) back in October that the line items of foreign aid presented by his budget should be eliminated and that Congress should focus on essential spending only and that he would support a substantial stimulus package that would get checks into the hands of taxpayers and that would help small businesses. He didn't -- he busy campaigning -- kind of understandably and then he was busy whining about how he won when he didn't. Now he's playing golf....and decided oh I don't like the 600 or the foreign aid I proposedi n MY budget....lol.

And yes it is swampy of both parties. But now Dems have said they support a 2000K check and Republicans said no.

So let's blame Biden. Wonder if we will hear from Trump today on whether or not he is going to settle for this govt. spending bill with a stimulus component that is not enough but it is better than zero...or will he refuse.

I'm not convinced he should sign the bill but given that the Republicans have no intention of doing his idea of 2000K check....it is clear something has to happen now. Unemployment funds have run out, people are going to get evicted...and this starts to escalate the problems with our economy.

Our household has seen no drop in income. We are fine...but I know so many are suffering. I don't need 2000K or 600K.....but I get some do.

I wish we were better at figuring out how to care for those struggling right now without just throwing money in the air and hoping it lands in the right place.
The problem is the time it takes to process and vet. This was the case in March with the initial talk of Trump Stimulus checks. I am not saying I like it, but it is government being more efficient for once.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:27 AM

9,802 posts, read 14,375,757 times
.......President-elect Joe Biden is urging President Trump to sign the new coronavirus economic relief bill into law now or risk 'devastating consequences.....

I don't think President Trump is concerned about "Hog The Camera Jill"

Old 12-27-2020, 11:37 AM

2,138 posts, read 753,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

He has asked $1200 check since OCT. Both parties gave him the fingers and stood pat. I wonder that GOPs
miscal. on trump. Since MSM / Big tech attacked him too much. Trump started to look like a liability to them. GOPs wanted him to go too.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:51 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,682,108 times
Trump thrives on chaos. Using a pocket veto like this is brilliant way to create chaos without taking any long term blame. If he was offered same bill giving out $2000 checks, he wouldnt sign that either. He cares nothing for the rabble, just chaos and power through chaos.

Far as the $600 one time payment, yea for most people its meaningless, no where close to paying significant monthly expenses, especially for those with the debt monkey on their back, Some like me could probably go couple months completely on that money. No debt and no rent makes big difference. But hey its better than nothing. For some it could be lifesaver. I wish there was more of a means test involved including ownership of assets. Millionaires don't need a bail out. If they were bright enough to become millionaires, they should be bright enough to survive a crisis. Heaven forbid they cant afford to repair the Bentley or have cut back on their caviar consumption... Not like House and Senate hasn't had time to come up with something like this.

Now as far as spiking the economy, remember Trumps promise to repair and build new infrastructure. Guess he plumb forgot about that. Now pumping trillions into something like that would be productive way to spur economy and benefit the country.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:51 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,675,844 times
HA! the NOT president biden orders trump to sign a bill. haha in what universe does he think he has the authority to do so.

Trump is at the perfect time for putting the squeeze on this whole thing. He is going to wait till the last minute, right now its torture to think that in one week, much benefits will be gone, i.e. unemployment comp, and also eviction moratoriums. People are saying that if he doesn't sign anything, people will have no food in one week.

So this is the ultimate leverage. they say "sign the current bill and then we will negotiate for more than $600 for everyone".. Ha thats a laugh. they will never vote on extra money to we the people.

but i think i heard Pelosi said that they may vote on a standalone bill for the $2,000 to everyone, this week.

I this all this is leverage. Trump wont care if pelosi takes the credit, if he can get the people $2,000 then he will have succeded. In the meantime, everyone is feeling the squeese of this leverage, that is what it supposed to do.

I think something will pass by next week.. its all leverage.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:54 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,675,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Far as the $600 one time payment, yea for most people its meaningless, no where close to paying significant monthly expenses, especially for those with the debt monkey on their back, Some like me could probably go couple months completely on that money. No debt and no rent makes big difference. But hey its better than nothing. For some it could be lifesaver. I wish there was more of a means test involved including ownership of assets. Millionaires don't need a bail out. If they were bright enough to become millionaires, they should be bright enough to survive a crisis. Heaven forbid they cant afford to repair the Bentley or have cut back on their caviar consumption... Not like House and Senate hasn't had time to come up with something like this.
something weird caught my eye today on the news re what you said there. So the news is reporting all these cars lining up for 2 miles in food pantry lines. If people are so broke, they would not have cars. also, i read an article about this one guy who says that you can scam the food pantries. If you have a ton of money, you too can join the food lines and get free food. And good food too. Go to the richer areas and you will get even more quality fresh food, meat, vegetables, produce. I don't think this is as bad as The Great Depression and other countries where they stand in line for a day for bread and water. No cars either.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:02 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
When will you learn that you have BDS as bad if not worse than when you claim I and others have TDS. Trump was the real swamp giving family, donors and loyalists cabinet posts or positions. Sen. Sessions, Steve Bannon, Michael Flynn, Linda McMahon and Betsy DeVos to name a few. As bad as Biden is, Biden at least doesn't give THIS much loyalty to the donor class. Explain that with out but Obama or now but Biden comments...
Come on man! You know Biden answers to China.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:04 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,682,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
something weird caught my eye today on the news re what you said there. So the news is reporting all these cars lining up for 2 miles in food pantry lines. If people are so broke, they would not have cars. also, i read an article about this one guy who says that you can scam the food pantries. If you have a ton of money, you too can join the food lines and get free food. And good food too. Go to the richer areas and you will get even more quality fresh food, meat, vegetables, produce. I don't think this is as bad as The Great Depression and other countries where they stand in line for a day for bread and water. No cars either.

Seriously if you are rich, why would you spend bunch time trying to get free food, guessing much of this food is "shelf stable" boxed mac and cheese kinda stuff that rich people wouldnt want anyway. Oh there are few Scrooge-like rich people that squeeze tight to every penny, but seriously for most food is pretty trivial. They spend hundreds on a night out, so getting $50 free food AFTER A LONG GRUELING WAIT IN LINE is big incentive???

Also unless you live in city with serious public transportation, in America, a car (bought with a lot of debt) is pretty mandatory. Could be lot of these people are on verge of a visit from the repo man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies