Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 12:58 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times

Advertisements

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releas...sponse-benefit

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...irus-outbreak-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharz...h=5e9f4da06482

What I like about Canada’s:
It seems more egalitarian- it looks like ALL affected workers or gigs are given the same amount provided their livelihood has been affected. No checks given to fully employed people.

It doesn’t give as much preference to marital status, number of kids or INCOME. That is a true example of equality, not the preferences that our government creates.

I don’t know how many taxes are paid for healthcare, but it does seem a bit less stress that they have that to fall back on. I am currently on COBRA for $640/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 01:21 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
Taxes are more in Canada, but you don’t have premiums to worry about. Hospitals up there are private and you can choose your own doctor.....it’s only that everyone pays into the system based on income. It’s a small country though, and most people like their system.

The U.S is so divided and there is so many different opinions. It might be hard to implement a similar system. The private insurance companies will definitely fight tooth and nail to prevent such a system coming into places.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post

It seems more egalitarian- it looks like ALL affected workers or gigs are given the same amount provided their livelihood has been affected. No checks given to fully employed people.

It doesn’t give as much preference to marital status, number of kids or INCOME. That is a true example of equality, not the preferences that our government creates.

I don’t know how many taxes are paid for healthcare, but it does seem a bit less stress that they have that to fall back on. I am currently on COBRA for $640/mo.
Forcing other people to pay for your compassion is always great!

Old 12-31-2020, 02:44 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Forcing other people to pay for your compassion is always great!
Paying half of what we do on average for their medical care overall is pretty great too.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:53 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Taxes are more in Canada, but you don’t have premiums to worry about. Hospitals up there are private and you can choose your own doctor.....it’s only that everyone pays into the system based on income. It’s a small country though, and most people like their system.

The U.S is so divided and there is so many different opinions. It might be hard to implement a similar system. The private insurance companies will definitely fight tooth and nail to prevent such a system coming into places.
America's capitalist greed will never get rid of profiting off of sick people. How's that for "A city on a shining hill?"

Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post

Don't the unemployed get unemployment plus at this time though? And, what about the people who have served the country by being on the job every single day during the pandemic, so others had the pleasure of having their needs meant while not having to go out to work? These workers had to go out and wonder every day if they would contract the virus and bring it home to their families.

Maybe the stimulus checks stop, and everyone performs for their paycheck. Anyone upset by not being able to work really needs to get out of those Democratically ran cities and states.

A "true example of equality" would be that everyone was either off of work during the pandemic, or no one was.

Back to work people, nearly every person and every business and manufacturer here in central KS have been open throughout the pandemic as "essential" to provide the rest of the country with necessities!

Old 12-31-2020, 03:12 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Life is never going to be totally fair for everyone. If you don't like your position in life, do something about it. Easier said than done perhaps...

Life is not fair. That's life.... We incarnate as beings that are barely removed from the animal kingdom that often have a brain that is in conflict with itself. We are aware enough to know what's wrong with us but not technically advanced enough to fix it....

Old 12-31-2020, 03:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
There were so many more programs in Canada. My brother had to take a leave to look after his son, while his wife worked from home so he was given unemployment plus.

The handouts were bigger and easier to get

Having said that --- I'm not necessarily mad that I won't see a check this time around......don't really need it. I wish folks who really needed the lifeline would get it.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:21 PM

182 posts, read 94,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There were so many more programs in Canada. My brother had to take a leave to look after his son, while his wife worked from home so he was given unemployment plus.

The handouts were bigger and easier to get

Having said that --- I'm not necessarily mad that I won't see a check this time around......don't really need it. I wish folks who really needed the lifeline would get it.
There are 2 million less people in Canada than there are in California alone. Canada is large and has huge natural resources and most of their cities thrive off U.S border relations so GDP per per person is great. They also don't need to budget for defense, since we mostly do it for them.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Spent a week in Montreal. I saw tons of commercials for supplemental medical insurance. If what is provided is so good, why are people buying supplemental?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies