Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 02:11 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Someone explain that "hymn" thing again, please?
you got me, i dunno. but its the black anthem, so it cant be the usa anthem, as the usa is made up of many groups of poeple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 02:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I have always wondered why our national anthem is a celebration of surviving a war. Also, I think that in the U.K their "God Save the Queen" is not appropriate. A national anthem should reflect the country and it's people, not the flag surviving bombs, nor in this case, the struggles of a minority. If it's to be changed, we should have a group of citizens from all races, social and economic classes come up with 10 possibilities, and have the states vote on them.

I much prefer, for example, something like the Canadian National Anthem, "Oh Canada" which is more appropriate to represent the people and love for their country:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Old 01-12-2021, 02:44 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Clyburn to propose making 'Black national anthem' official US national hymn

He gets paid a SALARY for doing things like this?

Old 01-12-2021, 03:11 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Isn't a national hymn kinda dancing loose with the First Amendment? It may not be establishing religion, but ...

Old 01-12-2021, 03:26 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always wondered why our national anthem is a celebration of surviving a war. Also, I think that in the U.K their "God Save the Queen" is not appropriate. A national anthem should reflect the country and it's people, not the flag surviving bombs, nor in this case, the struggles of a minority. If it's to be changed, we should have a group of citizens from all races, social and economic classes come up with 10 possibilities, and have the states vote on them.

I much prefer, for example, something like the Canadian National Anthem, "Oh Canada" which is more appropriate to represent the people and love for their country:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
God keep our land glorious and free!

I've said for a long time that we should change it to "This Land is Your Land.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:31 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Is this the song Eddie Murphy used to do on Saturday Night Live oh so many years ago? "Kill the White People".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtuYWlh6fJ4

Old 01-12-2021, 03:33 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've said for a long time that we should change it to "This Land is Your Land.
Commie crap from a real commie, Woody Guthrie.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I love that hymn. We often sing it at our white Protestant church. Really gets you in the spirit and isn’t as hard to sing as our national anthem. But “Oh Beautiful for spacious skies” would be my preference.
That probably gives you guys a nice warm "aren't we all admirably progressive?" feeling but you'd better watch out, the woke crowd could easily turn on you and say you're appropriating the song.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:41 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Good Lord. Do people not know the difference between The National Anthem (which no one suggested we change) and a damn hymn? Do they even know IF we currently have a National Hymn that would be replaced by his suggestion? Hint: We don’t.

People are losing their minds over their misunderstanding of words and the possibility of something that doesn’t even exist being replaced. Just another day on C-D.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:49 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Why do we even need a National Hymn? This is just more blatant pandering to black people. I think what’s behind it is BLM’s threat that Biden “owes black people” and it’s time to pay up. The real pay-off will come in the form of reparations, which I now believe will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies