Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:07 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

Not the Onion. How does this create unity?

Quote:
House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) said this week he plans on introducing a measure to make "Lift Every Voice and Sing," known as the "Black national anthem," the official U.S. hymn in an effort to promote unity.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...mpression=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 11:10 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

I love that hymn. We often sing it at our white Protestant church. Really gets you in the spirit and isn’t as hard to sing as our national anthem. But “Oh Beautiful for spacious skies” would be my preference.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:16 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
I'm not surprised. I am sure it will be replaced with Cardi B's WAP. That's what this country has come too.
C'mon, I do my Tik Tok dances to that song.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times
Another useless, hollow symbolic proposal by black "leaders". Meanwhile they cant bring themselves to openly promote avoiding out-of-wedlock births, better parenting, stronger focus on academics from inside the home (instead of only ever crowing about school funding as if it is the only, or even primary reason for underperformance).

Not even an explicit call for kids to reject joining gangs. Kids are bring gunned down weekly in Chicago and these useless dolts cant even bring themselves to simply say 'the gangs are scum criminal organizations, parents prevent your kids from joining in the first place'.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:21 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
That’s a very spiritual, meaningful song, especially specific to the AA experience. Not sure why it wouldn’t create unity though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
I'm not surprised. I am sure it will be replaced with Cardi B's WAP. That's what this country has come too.
What does Cardi B have to do with African-Americans and their history?

Old 01-12-2021, 11:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Never heard of it.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM

43,126 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:

So the US is going back to being religious ? Several "God" word and even "White" is in that song.

It was originally a poem to celebrate Abraham Lincoln's birthday but lately Lincoln has been shamed for not caring about BLM.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:29 AM

4,868 posts, read 2,676,734 times
I don't care..a national hymn is not the same thing as a national anthem..

from you link..

Quote:
"To make it a national hymn, I think, would be an act of bringing the country together. It would say to people, 'You aren't singing a separate national anthem, you are singing the country's national hymn,'" Clyburn told USA Today. "The gesture itself would be an act of healing. Everybody can identify with that song."

Old 01-12-2021, 11:42 AM

956 posts, read 745,415 times
Quote:

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahah ahahahahhhahahahahahahahahha

Old 01-12-2021, 11:54 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
There is only ONE national anthem and that is "The Star Spangled Banner". There is no "black" national anthem, never was and never will be. If you are so offended by the real one then get out of here.

You all want us divided? Have your stupid black national anthem. Go ahead, keep dividing us more. I personally have never heard of this song, heard it or ever care to here it. You want to listen to it, go ahead but it is not and will not ever be our national anthem.

BTW, if you all think that is the black one then I'll call the Star Spangled Banner the white one. There I said it!

Morons!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies