Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Yes - donated his salary and spent 10x's that on his golfing excursions. What a stupid thread.
Try 100x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Missing the forest for the trees here.

Trump may have donated his salary, but he extended secret service protection to extended family members at a cost far greater than his salary.

Source: https://www.wspa.com/news/national/t...u_YeSlrbB3kFMg

All on the taxpayer dime.

Mind you, I'm completely fine with that. This is a privilege (or a courtesy?) provided to previous heads of state and their families. I don't like Trump, I don't like how he handled the Presidency nor how he was too low-class to follow tradition that every President since the 1870s has managed to do... but, with that said, I'm still fine with SS protection for them.

But don't go with this holier than thou thing of "Trump didn't take a salary" - sure, but he cashed in on his benefits many times over the value of his salary.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:59 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The problem is that he ran it from the oval office, really never divested.

Trump the great businessman is so tiresome, I thought he would at least get infrastructure done instead he pumped the money into corporations. His entire empire of golf courses and hotels is nothing but a shell game that seems to be in serious trouble, we will see. I'm not sure he can resurrect another season of The Apprentice to save the day, just imagine Jeff Bezos doing a reality show or selling steaks and people still claiming he is some sort of astute business man.

Trump said he would release his tax returns in 2016 when his audit was complete, still waiting but keep on believing the lie. But don't worry the NYC District Attorney has them.
"really never divested." You make the claim, you back it up.

"Trump the great businessman is so tiresome"

So, taking a few million and turning it into BILLIONS, is too much for you to take and tire you out.

"I thought he would at least get infrastructure done" I though you were smarter then this.

ALL spending bills ORIGINATE in the HOUSE. pelosi and the DEMS control the house. Have you EVER complained to and about pelosi and the dems NOT introducing an "infrastructure" bill?

I'm pretty sure I have asked you this before, exactly what "infrastructure" are you referring to?

Be specific.

"seems to be in serious trouble," if, maybe, could, etc.,etc, etc., is all we have heard for over 4 years.

Maybe they are, maybe it is because he HAS recused himself, which you deny, and is NOT running his empire.

Can't have it both ways.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Joe is not half as rich as Trump, so you can’t expect him to do it.

I mean even Trump’s in-laws are richer than Joe.
Easy to do that when your parents were also rich (i.e. Kushner's dad)

Old 01-22-2021, 05:08 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Oh dear.....

Biden is historically a tightwad when it comes to charitable donations.

From 1998 to 2008, he and his wife donated a total of $3,690 in charitable donations, or 0.2% of their income. That makes it an average of $369 a year.

While it is unclear which organizations the Bidens gave most of that money to, their 2008 tax returns do show one donation: clothing worth $550, given to Goodwill.

Based on available tax returns from 1998 to 2019, the Bidens have given a total of $1.4 million to charitable causes. But it wasn't until he started raking in the millions that they started to give more generously.

In 2017 they gave 9% of their income to charity. In the breakdown, you see that they gave $100,000 to the Joseph Biden Foundation. Not exactly selfless.

One year, in which he made over $11 million dollars, cannot make up for the dismal record of giving during his entire career.
Huh, interesting. So what do Trump’s tax returns show as far as charitable donations?

Old 01-22-2021, 05:34 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Do you think Joe will donate his salary like Trump did...nope he is too greedy. I dont think our Presidents should get a salary. It should be a privilege to be President.
How do you expect them to pay the mortgage on their homes? Living in the White House does not exclude you from personal expenses not part of the government.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 AM

815 posts, read 737,452 times
Trump billed the Secret Service obscene amounts of money to stay at his properties to protect him on his hundreds of golf trips. Will Joe?

Old 01-23-2021, 05:49 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Trump billed the Secret Service obscene amounts of money to stay at his properties to protect him on his hundreds of golf trips. Will Joe?
And what did it cost us during obama's terms?

Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't think exact numbers are available. But I don't think Obama's had resort property to funnel money from government agencies into Obama family owned businesses.

https://www.citizensforethics.org/re...-obama-family/

Since the number of protected trips is much higher under the Trump administration I think it is logical assumption that so have the costs.

Then there is the fact that on the last days of Trump's presidency he extended Secret Service protections to his family members... that isn't going to be cheap.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Less in 8 years than Trump cost us in just 4.

Pretty sure this has already been asked and answered in this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yes, really.

Judicial Watch announced today that it has received new documents from both the Secret Service and the Air Force relating to Obama travel expenses, bringing the known total over the past eight years to $96,938,882.51...

https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-...al-96-million/

...From a combination of an analysis from the HuffPost, the GAO or General Accounting Office, Politico and the Washington Post using costs from both Obama and Trump golf trips the estimated cost of Trump’s visits so far come to a range of $105 to $108 million...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...h=6cee2b6428aa

FYI, the "so far" in the above quote from Forbes was July 2019. He's golfed 98 more times since then, so you can add another $30-40M to that $105M figure, and that doesn't count non-golf trips, or the trips made by his family. I think the estimated cost for Melania and Barron staying in Trump Tower for the first 90 days of Trump's term was another ~$30M.

You were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies