Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 11:52 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Trump had a wide umbrella that attracted a diverse group. The media is trying to shut that part down. They don't mind using race to do it. I witnessed something odd with his run, like Trump became bigger than the man or the candidate. His offensive tweets were even cheered by some. They were seen as freedom in an increasingly PC world by many. I know, I asked some of his fans. I didn't see it that way at all and didn't like them.

Sure he attracted some racists and crazies. Those tend to shout the loudest, but don't represent all. The majority of people I talked to were attracted to the "Make America Great Again" slogan. That's a powerful message that a lot yearn for.

You can't judge him just by those who showed up. Particularly at rallies and certainly not the minority at this protest. Fan types go to those anyway. Many voters chose him on issues. Maybe only a few issues and felt lukewarm toward him at best. Minorities chose him, women chose him. That can't be denied. The "radical fringe" didn't make up the majority of votes. It's not mathematically possible.
Good insight... Trump was a pendulum swing in the opposite direction. No high ranking Republicans would counter the media. They wouldn't stand up to Democrats in Congress except maybe a couple here and there. People saw it and the frustration built up. So when Trump echoed what the people felt - and did it openly and in their faces, it took on a life of it's own. He was expressing the sentiments of many who didn't have a voice.

Which is why they are trying so hard to neutralize as much as possible. They KNOW he is not really a racist, and he likely would actually unite the races if given enough time. They can't have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Rodney King was the main national incident that I recall that affected the country.
Yeah, that’s when people looked at their TV screens and started to think:

“You know something? The civil rights movement happened so long ago and yet these people continue to riot and burn their own cities. What’s up with that?”

Old 01-19-2021, 06:15 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What? Lee Atwater's "welfare queen" narrative is very widely known amongst political scientists. It's very thinly veiled racism and everyone knows it, including Atwater himself.

Just because Dinesh D'Souza and a gagillion conservative talking heads tell you "the Democrats are the REAL racists" because of things that happened 60+ years ago doesn't actually make it true. The Democrat Party is overplaying the race angle right now, no doubt, but this garbage about Dems being the REAL racists is just that garbage.

They are pandering, they have not solved the problem of the black underclass, and their rhetoric is divisive...but wannabe right wing talking heads on this forum think this "trick" of telling black people that the klan were Democrats will somehow make black people vote for the party that created the "welfare queen" narrative is just stupid. NO ONE IS BEING FOOLED.
Thank you. It was part of my point. The Democrats have been weaponizing race, and the Republicans have been weaponizing race too. One of the reasons I brought up Lee Atwater. He mentioned that race played a role in the southern strategy, and a role in other things. The GOP is not much different than the Democrats in terms of a history of taking advantage of racial grievances. The way it is done, however, varies.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:26 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What would be a better country for blacks to live in than the US?
Why would Americans whose roots were planted in our nation's soil, probably long before those of your ancestors, have to look for another country to call home?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-19-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 06:28 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I don't think the early riots you mentioned in the 70s and 80s affected the national mood. There was no internet of social media or cable TV, and information didn't travel like it does today.

So late 80s when the protest rap songs started to make waves. So they rapped about their existence in their locales, and it started to proliferate. Rodney King was the main national incident that I recall that affected the country.
I don't know. Al Sharpton came to prominence during the late 1980s, particularly over the stuff taking place in New York. You could say that things never really got better at all. If rappers were saying all that stuff in the 80s, it never really got better in some places.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:11 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know. Al Sharpton came to prominence during the late 1980s, particularly over the stuff taking place in New York. You could say that things never really got better at all. If rappers were saying all that stuff in the 80s, it never really got better in some places.
They weren't saying it until the late 80s. Prior to that, rappers battled each other. They rapped about life being tough and trying to get ahead. Then there was a time where the rappers infused some rock n roll into their songs... and then they did a bunch of love rap songs. MTV also gave exposure to both black and white music. I can't tell you how many times I saw the video with Twisted Sister. But MTV Raps came on the scene to give exposure to that genre as well.

Speaking of MTV Raps - within the last year Dr Dre lost his vision and had a leg amputated because of diabetes. Sad.

Anyway - I don't doubt it didn't get better in some locales - but it didn't manifest itself nationally.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You just guessing numbers, but it's probably way more than that. Trump brought out the worst in people, and racist groups heard all the dog whistle, they love him. But regardless of the numbers, just the fact that being a party that attract racist people not to mention the closet racist.
Must explain why Trump made huge gains with every Minority group vs. The Clinton Election. The only place where the Democrats made gains was with White Men

Old 01-19-2021, 09:43 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Good insight... Trump was a pendulum swing in the opposite direction. No high ranking Republicans would counter the media. They wouldn't stand up to Democrats in Congress except maybe a couple here and there. People saw it and the frustration built up. So when Trump echoed what the people felt - and did it openly and in their faces, it took on a life of it's own. He was expressing the sentiments of many who didn't have a voice.

Which is why they are trying so hard to neutralize as much as possible. They KNOW he is not really a racist, and he likely would actually unite the races if given enough time. They can't have that.
I don't see Trump as a racist either. I agree he would have helped unite the races. There was a good start as he was clearly listening to the black community. Not just the celebrities but the poor ones too. He was also visiting poor rural white communities.

Those two groups may be geographically separated but their poverty struggles have similarities. I got a lot of likes when I posted that our issues in this day and age are less about race and more about class. I see it personally on the impoverished white side. A lot of it comes down to generational poverty. These things are hard to change and I won't get into all that. Education alone won't solve it.

I forgot to mention something in my previous post. Some of these fringe groups (some racist) do follow Trump but not because they think he is one too. It's about protecting their gun rights. That's the common denominator.

I would like to comment on this confederate flag issue too. I don't live in the south so I can't relate to that part but I see those a lot in rural areas. I don't wait for the media to tell me what it means, I just ask people why it's on their truck. It's not a hate symbol to them. It's more of a statement of, "I may be called a redneck, but I am proud of it". I also hear things like, "country boys can survive" a lot too. Rural areas have their own type of culture and they have a right to protect their way of life.

This may be a shock to some people but many rural areas today don't even have cell service let alone broadband. It's like going back in time. Some still relate to shows like the Dukes of Hazzard. BTW, their Dodge Charger the General Lee had a confederate flag on it. How come no one was talking about it being racist then? The show is silly, but Bo and Luke Duke were the GOOD guys. They were not portrayed as racists; in fact they were the ones fighting all kinds of injustice and the corrupt political system rigged against them. Remember Boss Hogg? LOL

I try to live in reality. I don't see black people being "hunted down" and attacked by white racists or hate groups in even the most backward communities. C'mon, wouldn't we hear about it? That is the image the media is trying to portray though.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:45 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, that’s when people looked at their TV screens and started to think:

“You know something? The civil rights movement happened so long ago and yet these people continue to riot and burn their own cities. What’s up with that?”
The Democrats not only screwed up primarily black cities, in the case of Detroit, its worse than ever, recently they started doing it to Seattle, Portland, Minniapolis, SF, LA. Democrats Ding up more cities every year

Old 01-19-2021, 09:49 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Look at racial make up of the two political parties in Congress, it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about them.

Over 40% of dems in congress are women, and/or minorities.

Over 80% of repubs are white men.

The political representation for one party is overwhelmingly white men. The political representation for another party is drenched with women and racial diversity.

What else is there to discuss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies