Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:58 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

There is a formidable amount of research devoted to battery technology going on. In many ways the old axiom rings true- necessity is the mother of invention. There is an accepted truth by 'most' reasoned people- the climate is changing rapidly. Therein lies the necessity.

Naysayers will obviously disagree- but that's okay. A lot of folks didn't trust the 'horseless carriage' back in the D-A-Y.. Other people just moved beyond them.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
ive been screaming this. even a remendal college course discusses how electricity is processed. it involves highly long life toxic sludge. we dont harness it from the sky. then the batteries in these zillion cars are going to need disposed of. people are going so nuts trying to fight mother nature, they are neglecting to change the BAD issues that are snowballing! drives me batty.
Retriev (formerly Toxco) in Trail, British Columbia has been in the lithium-ion battery recycling business for over 35 years. ... The recycling efficiency rate throughout the process is estimated at 65 to 80 percent of the incoming battery weight.

The cost of EVs is expected to fall as the cost of the EV battery (which makes up a third of the vehicle cost) continues to drop. It is predicted by 2022 the EV version will cheaper to buy than its internal combustion engine counterpart. With much lower operating costs than traditional vehicles, EVs will slowly penetrate the Canadian and US marketplaces.

https://www.wasterecyclingmag.ca/fea...ery-recycling/

Old 01-29-2021, 11:02 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
You said it, electric is the future,it is not nor will it be ready for years to come. It is in it's infancy and has a long way to go before it becomes practical.
My husband has leased a hybrid for years. He puts gas in it maybe twice a year. He plugs it into a electrical outlet in the garage which really doesn't cost us anymore. Plus he saves a fortune not paying for gas.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:05 PM

889 posts, read 272,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
What's the electric cost per mile anyway?
oh ya. im assuming they will probably require a credit card to charge at public stops. i know walgreen and mart offer free charge now, but if its all electric they WILL charge for public stations, ie: road trip

Old 01-29-2021, 11:05 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
One other thing interesting to note- EV bikes are gaining popularity amongst hunters. The ability to go farther, silently into spots you want to hunt is huge. I saw 6 or more hunters this year using E-bikes on BLM property, one with a game trailer of sorts.

I may look into one of these buggers.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
After I read your message, I tried to call my 90-year-old dad and rip him a new one for 1) not having a charging station at 65-year-old home and 2) for selfishly living in the quiet, rural area rather than an urban city with charging stations, closer to me (I don't think there is one charging station in the 230 miles between our homes).

He didn't answer. He is probably still recovering from his near-death experience over the weekend after receiving the COVID vaccine. ****ing white privilege.

Regarding his recent health crisis, I think EMS certainly can afford to take 30-minute charging breaks between patient deliveries. Hell, dad had plenty of time. They could have charged up mid-delivery.
he almost died after vaxx?? wow... i hope he does well. first or second dose?

Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Solar carports are past the prototype stage now. Some are already available in California. They will become common over time.

https://news.energysage.com/what-is-...%20a%20rooftop.
my local high school has 2 giant parking lot solar panel set ups. i feel like with the electric load on CA should be offset by solar. its one of the few states that has enough sun to harness year round.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 PM

1,954 posts, read 700,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My husband has leased a hybrid for years. He puts gas in it maybe twice a year. He plugs it into a electrical outlet in the garage which really doesn't cost us anymore. Plus he saves a fortune not paying for gas.
Do you know the gas price breakdown in your area?
People are complaining about that in Canada for at least a couple of years now. It is because a hefty chunk of what we spend goes toward tax (fuel tax, Transit tax, carbon tax .. ). Some of those tax dollars are used on road maintenance.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:55 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
They need to make electric cars with built in solar panels. Electric is the future.
That is excellent idea I hope to live see it.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:08 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
You said it, electric is the future,it is not nor will it be ready for years to come. It is in it's infancy and has a long way to go before it becomes practical.
GM seems to think the future is 2035. Planning in 2020 to quit producing gasoline and diesel vehicles and producing nothing but EVs by then is quite a leap of faith, and a helluva bet that they're going to be right. When they make a bet like that, it is the equivalent of backing a royal flush in a high stakes poker game, not selling the farm and buying lottery tickets. GM knows what's coming.

EVs, BTW, have been around since the 1890s. They have not been practical until today, since technology backed oil when Henry Ford produced the Model T on an assembly line and doubled the wages of his workers so they could afford the automobiles they built for him. Electricity was not a common household item in those days unless you were in a large city. Gasoline could be transported anywhere and sold from a manually operated pump or in cans. Had an electrical grid been practical in the early 1900s, the ICE might have been an alternative technology and you might have been driving an electric vehicle all your life.

The future is now. Embrace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies