Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 11:23 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That was probably the dumbest statement that one could ever make. That's coming from the type of individual that you're trying to have an intelligent discussion with. It's a no win situation.

I've got cars that are well over 80 years old that are still on the road with all of their original drive train and running gear. Granted I've restored those cars but you can't compare guns and cars. As cars get used just about everyday and wear out a lot faster. The vast majority of guns are not being subjected to that type of use unless you're putting a thousand rounds a day out of them for the same amount of time that someone would typically own a car.

However if someone takes good care of their vehicle from the day it was new you can get many years out of it without any major repairs. Most people don't, they buy them and keep them until it's paid off and then they start all over and buy a new one. Especially those who have to use their vehicles on a daily basis or for business use.

With a reasonable and minimum amount of care a gun will last indefinitely. Steel doesn't deteriorate over time unless it's allowed to rust. About the only thing that could wear out is the barrel after thousands of rounds have been put through it and springs that eventually lose their tension. However changing springs is all part of routine maintenance depending on how many rounds are put through the firearm. I always keep spares on hand for all of my guns.
The delusion you guys live under when it comes to gun culture explains so much about why we can't have nice things in this country.

The fact that you're using 80 year old cars as your anchor for the idea that old things last is perfect. Thank you for clearly pointing out that with proper maintenance and care, things CAN last 80 years and be serviceable. But then, that opens up the logic for why aren't there more 80 year old cars in serviceable condition? Oh yeah... b/c the overwhelming number of consumers DO NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR THINGS.

The problem isn't quality of the product. The problem is the consumer who buys it and doesn't perform the maintenance that you guys keep pointing out THAT YOU NEED TO DO.

So whether it's cast iron skillets, cars, or guns I think the conventional wisdom is that most people who buy them will not take care of them. And expecting things that aren't taken care of to last 50+ years is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What does this have to do with you claiming that there are "hardly any" working firearms that are over 50 years old ? Hey, you made the statement....this isn't about registration. You've been proven wrong, that there are "hardly any" working firearms over 50 years old, period.
If you're gonna claim that .1% of a pool is not "hardly any" that's on you. I don't care if we're talking a pool of 10k, 10M, or 100M... if it's .1%, I'm going to describe it as "hardly any." Is that clearer?

Old 02-12-2021, 11:34 AM

29,494 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If you're gonna claim that .1% of a pool is not "hardly any" that's on you. I don't care if we're talking a pool of 10k, 10M, or 100M... if it's .1%, I'm going to describe it as "hardly any." Is that clearer?
And you're wrong.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
In my opinion, you've forfeited your right to live in a free society among other law-abiding people.

But I also think there are way too many things that can make someone a felon.

Inconsistent and nonsensical laws.....things that are a felony in one state can be a misdemeanor in another.

This creates a situation where there is no real justification for stripping someone's constitutional rights.
If it were up to me the only firearms laws that we should have are those which criminalize both the criminal and negligent mis-use of them. But we already have those laws along with laws that criminalize just about any crime that one could possibly imagine. Firearms are no different than any other object that people can use to kill, maim, or harm one another. They are inanimate objects with no minds of their own nor do they have supernatural powers that compel people to use them for nefarious purposes.

In 1990 during the Happyland Arson Fire 87 people were killed with what was a dollars worth of gasoline at the time, a container and a match. That's more than what Paddock killed with a bunch of AR-15's equipped with bump stocks, thousand's of rounds of ammunition firing from a hotel window into a crowd of thousand's.

This doesn't even take into consideration 9/11/01 where something as simple as boxcutters were used to hijack commercial jetliners and kill 2,996 people. Or the Oklahoma City bombing although more sophisticated but was carried out with easily obtained materials and killed 168 people. Or incidents where someone deliberately drove their vehicle into a crowd. How many people are killed or maimed each year with baseball bats, blunt objects, sharp instruments and knives etc? How many people are strangled with cordage or beaten to death with bare hands? It's not the object that kills it's the mind behind the user.

Gun control is about one thing and one thing only: Absolute power and control over the entire population. It's the Left's wet dream.

Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made."
Quote:
Fatal attacks with vehicles: A list of recent incidents
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cks/544603002/
At least 10 people were killed and 15 injured when a man drove a van through pedestrians walking on a crowded Toronto street Monday. Police said the act seemed deliberate, although early...

Terrorist Attacks by Vehicle Fast Facts - CNN
Terrorist Attacks by Vehicle Fast Facts - CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world/...ist-attacks-by...
July 14, 2016 - After a Bastille Day fireworks display in Nice, France, a man drives a 20-ton rental truck into the crowd, striking and killing 86 people. The attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel,...

Police investigate deadly Berlin truck crash as 'presumed ...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ristmas-market
Dec 20, 2016 · Berlin police are investigating a “presumed terrorist attack†after at least 12 people were killed and about 50 injured when a truck ploughed into a Christmas market in the city on Monday evening.
July 14, 2016 - After a Bastille Day fireworks display in Nice, France, a man drives a 20-ton rental truck into the crowd, striking and killing 86 people. The attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel,...

Manhattan truck attack kills 8 in 'act of terror' - CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/ne...red/index.html
Oct 31, 2017 · Eight people were killed and almost a dozen injured when a 29-year-old man in a rented pickup truck drove down a busy bicycle path near the World Trade Center Tuesday in Manhattan, New York City.

Vehicles Are Becoming the Weapons of Choice for Terrorists
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/v...orists-n768846
June 3, 2017, London, England — A van was driven into crowds on London Bridge, after which the attackers left their vehicle and stabbed several people in the area. Seven people were killed and ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 02-12-2021 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No, the delusional fantasies are not in my mind. But if they give you comfort by all means keep them in yours. That 3% number is something I've seen before and I'll tell you now I'm not in that number. Is that some sort of attempt at a veiled insult? I'm taking it as one. But, regardless it doesn't change the fact that you are totally wrong in your opinion and that said erroneous status stems from a complete and utter ignorance of just exactly who the people are in the shooting world. Not as relating to numbers or various groups but who we ARE, as people.

You display a pretty typical arrogance and disdain common to people who view us as the suburbanite special ops squad types you referenced earlier. I'm hardly a suburbanite myself. I'm a very rural type of feller and have been most of my life. Neither I nor anyone I associate with belong to the 3% crowd. Which you may have thrown out by chance and not design but I doubt that. But on that just in the town I live adjacent to and the surrounding valley far more than 3% of people are serious firearms owners. And Damn few of those people don't have more than one fine firearm well over 50 years old.

And Chicago gun laws are a complete joke. Your problems with criminal use of firearms there has nothing to do with legal gun owners anywhere. That is just another totally false and way overused claim that the firearms phobics have been beating long since it dropped dead from exhaustion. To put it simply, you are wrong. Your arguments (and I use that term loosely) have zero credibility because you allowed your pure ignorance of a subject you know nothing about to be put on naked display.

I truly don't care what you believe. I'm not trying to change your or any other hoplophobes mind. It's just fun to see such foolishness put on display. The world needs more laughter.
I have a special disdain for gun owners who know the system the support is complicit in the very gun crimes they love to point out.

If someone's a gun owner, and doesn't care that they're in a registry, then I don't have a problem w/ them. If they're a gun owner and they understand being in a registry is not an infringement, then I don't have a problem w/ them. Buy & keep as many guns as they want, old or new. They'll help us constrict the flow of legal guns into the black market and that will pay off w/ less gun crime.

If they're a gun owner who objects to being in a registry bc they think they're going to rounded up and stripped bc they're delusional and have a warped understanding of history, then they're just pathetic. They're actively prolonging an epidemic that no other country deals with b/c they're too stupid to understand history. They're too selfish to look past their hobby and see the collateral damage.

And I hope that we get a full federal registry on gun owners for the simple reason that non-compliance will itself be a felony, and the same people complaining about midnight raids to steal their guns will permanently lose that right through the courts.

Quote:
And you're wrong.
OK. We'll just agree to disagree.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have a special disdain for gun owners who know the system the support is complicit in the very gun crimes they love to point out.

If someone's a gun owner, and doesn't care that they're in a registry, then I don't have a problem w/ them. If they're a gun owner and they understand being in a registry is not an infringement, then I don't have a problem w/ them. Buy & keep as many guns as they want, old or new. They'll help us constrict the flow of legal guns into the black market and that will pay off w/ less gun crime.

If they're a gun owner who objects to being in a registry bc they think they're going to rounded up and stripped bc they're delusional and have a warped understanding of history, then they're just pathetic. They're actively prolonging an epidemic that no other country deals with b/c they're too stupid to understand history. They're too selfish to look past their hobby and see the collateral damage.

And I hope that we get a full federal registry on gun owners for the simple reason that non-compliance will itself be a felony, and the same people complaining about midnight raids to steal their guns will permanently lose that right through the courts.

Those that believe a registration will end this so called "epidemic" are the truly stupid , no...I won't stoop to your level, you can't be stupid...I'll go with ignorant.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
In my opinion, you've forfeited your right to live in a free society among other law-abiding people.

Inconsistent and nonsensical laws.....things that are a felony in one state can be a misdemeanor in another.

This creates a situation where there is no real justification for stripping someone's constitutional rights.
Indeed there are. That's because the vast majority of politicians are lawyers who love to pass even more laws as it's good for their business and affects their bottom line. The more laws that there are then the more business there is for lawyers. Whether it be criminal, real estate, zoning, litigation, etc. you name it there's a law.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Those that believe a registration will end this so called "epidemic" are the truly stupid , no...I won't stoop to your level, you can't be stupid...I'll go with ignorant.
Then I guess the entire world are idiots and it's only the 10% of American gun nuts with their special understanding of "history" and "cause & effect" who get it.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I completely agree with this.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:

What constitutional or legal precedent do you have for registration as a requirement to merely owning a piece of legal private property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies