Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 04:25 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The United States has only one National Anthem, the Star-Spangled Banner.

There is no such thing as a "black" national anthem. It is a figment of certain people's wild imaginations.

I can write a song in my bedroom and call it the national anthem. But it doesn't make it so.
People have been singing "Lift every voice and sing" for over 100 years. A lot of us grew up singing it.
Yes there is black national anthem, just like are black Universities and black churches. That's not a figment of anybody's imagination...it's a relic of America's history of exclusion.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Contrary to what you may have thought all of your life, we have another national anthem now and the country was founded in 1619 apparently.

Also: Men can be pregnant and play girls-only sports.

Carry on.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:06 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Contrary to what you may have thought all of your life, we have another national anthem now.
There's been another national anthem for over 100 years now. Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it's not real.

If you don't like it, don't blame the people who sing the song, blame the nation that legally excluded them from mainstream society.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:33 PM

73,046 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
People have been singing "Lift every voice and sing" for over 100 years. A lot of us grew up singing it.
Yes there is black national anthem, just like are black Universities and black churches. That's not a figment of anybody's imagination...it's a relic of America's history of exclusion.
Quote:
There's been another national anthem for over 100 years now. Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it's not real.

If you don't like it, don't blame the people who sing the song, blame the nation that legally excluded them from mainstream society.
This is one thing many people don't understand about historically Black institutions. HBCUs, Black churches, they were founded because Blacks were often excluded from what we would refer to as the mainstream institutions. "Lift Every Voice And Sing" came out of the Black churches. It has been sung in Black churches for over a century. Alot of what we see when it comes to Black American culture came out of exclusion from mainstream American society. And this is what more people need to understand.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:00 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So you are OK with Separate but Equal? Forced Segregation?

It just further divides us.
Where did I say any of that?

I said the duo that did our National anthem made a train wreck out of it. I cant recall a time other than Rose Ann Barr butchering it, that it was done so poorly.

The song that blacks relate to? No harm n o foul as far as I am concerned. I don't really like it myself so I simply wont bother to listen to it.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:08 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because how can you demand equality if you don't also demand special treatment.

Democrats are all about contradictions. It's a shame we don't have Asian, Spanish, Gay, atheist, Islamic, and Trans national anthems too.

We need a national anthem for all protected classes.
All the woes of our Nation and that song is an issue? I have been at sporting events where they played My Country Tis of Thee instead of the Star Spangled Banner. I love our Anthem. It's a badass anthem. I like that the entire world knows the sound of that anthem. You put 100 people from various countries in a room and most would know our anthem. What number would know Mexico's? Cuba's? Italy's? Israel's? China's? They would likely know the former USSR's, England's, maybe France.

That song, and mind you very few everyday blacks actually want their own anthem, that song costs us nothing to give our black citizens something uniquely their own.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 PM

73,046 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
All the woes of our Nation and that song is an issue? I have been at sporting events where they played My Country Tis of Thee instead of the Star Spangled Banner. I love our Anthem. It's a badass anthem. I like that the entire world knows the sound of that anthem. You put 100 people from various countries in a room and most would know our anthem. What number would know Mexico's? Cuba's? Italy's? Israel's? China's? They would likely know the former USSR's, England's, maybe France.

That song, and mind you very few everyday blacks actually want their own anthem, that song costs us nothing to give our black citizens something uniquely their own.
At the very least, I feel that it's important to learn the history about "Lift Every Voice And Sing". It's importance to learn the history before making a judgement about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Every_Voice_and_Sing

It was originally composed in honor of Abraham Lincoln's birthday.

The person who wrote it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Weldon_Johnson

Old 02-09-2021, 06:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That people are now finding out that the Lift Every Voice and Sing exists shows just how badly the U.S. was segregated back when it was written and how separate people continued to be even after desegregation.

Instead of being angry, everyone should celebrate it as American history. Celebrate it as the song for those who the National Anthem did not represent at the time. If fact, less than 50 yrs prior, the courts reintegrated that Black people were inferior and could never be citizens. And you wonder why this song was penned? The song has an amazing message of perseverance. And if, as people often retort in racial discussion, every group has faced struggles, then everyone should be able to relate to it.
I honestly never heard of it so I didn't even catch it being played. Honestly the right in particular the racist right is letting BLM live rent free in their heads.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
So why, at the lead-in to a sporting event, which could be a very unifying time as the National Anthem is played, do the work leftists have to sing a song that America had a history of excluding blacks from society? If anything, what about a song celebrating all the progress, and the fact that blacks are no longer excluded in a country that is one of the least racist in existence?

Why, IOW, choose an uplifting moment that rises above class and color - the Super Bowl - to sing about how awfully racist America used to be?

Old 02-10-2021, 05:53 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So why, at the lead-in to a sporting event, which could be a very unifying time as the National Anthem is played, do the work leftists have to sing a song that America had a history of excluding blacks from society? If anything, what about a song celebrating all the progress, and the fact that blacks are no longer excluded in a country that is one of the least racist in existence?

Why, IOW, choose an uplifting moment that rises above class and color - the Super Bowl - to sing about how awfully racist America used to be?
You clearly never listened to the lyrics. Point out where in the Life Every Voice and Sing it speaks about how awfully racist America used to be?

Your post is the height of ignorance. It shows that you only reject the song because it was chosen as the black National Anthem when Black people were restricted from being American citizens.

The song is uplifting and inclusive to all people who have ever experienced difficulty in life.

LOL@ one of the least racist in existence.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-10-2021 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies