Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 01:15 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Every GOP who voted to convict Trump will have to answer to their constituents.
True, and I was only too happy to send him a letter expressing my gratitude for his decision to honor his oath fully . Not just randomly .

He restored some faith in our process . Which had been interrupted on Jan 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:20 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Republicans and their cancel culture. Where's the outrage over the curbs to free speech?

Irony.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:20 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Mitt Romney Could Soon Pay the Price for Voting to Convict Trump

Contemplative Republicans, committed political conservatives, serious Americans who value democracy are being censured and belittled by their very own party---a GOP that has flagrantly and unashamedly chosen loyalty to one man over the core principles of the United States of America and the founders of our nation.

Clearly the Republican Party no longer represents anything but fealty to Trump. Total outright fidelity to one man who possesses no allegiance to America.

Dark days for truth, our nation and her Constitution.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Vast numbers of Republicans and Libertarians believe in the "free market" and globalization and de-regulation. When one believes totally in the free market and limited government, it is pretty hard to put the brakes on globalization. To legislate policies that hamper free and unfettered trade.

Also, a strong case can be made that to become isolationist in our economic policies, is a death knell. There is no question that the U.S. is not going to see the growth of emerging markets going forward. We can either participate in that growth, even be leaders in that growth or turn inward and face an aging populace and much slower growth prospects.

Turning inward is the approach one takes when they have not got what it takes to succeed. An acceptance that one's best days are behind them and soon they will be mostly irrelevant. Good luck with that! China will be glad to take those spoils for themselves, unhampered by our competition or aspirations..
Bain capital bought debt from companies, then liquidated them for fast money.

Small towns with one or two primary employers go out of business, the town is depopulated, and people are forced into metropolitan areas.

This is not the actions of a god-fearing man. Say what you want about globalization, but this mind set is anti-Christian.

So I don't buy the argument that Romney is a godly or pious man, because he isn't.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You mean the ole 'Mob rule" sentiment?
I've heard it referred to as a referendum. You don't like referendums?

Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Romney was a Bain Capital executive who wished to destroy small communities for the proliferation of multinationals.

Tell me more about this god believing man.
No, no, no. This was the line in 2012. Along with him being an animal abuser and tax cheat.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No, no, no. This was the line in 2012. Along with him being an animal abuser and tax cheat.
He tied the dog to the top of his car.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
All I see in the OP is rhetoric without basis in fact. Or at best a distortion of the facts.

The stormers of the Capitol are the real traitors. Calls to murder Nancy Pelosi, Mike Pence, and AOC are the real traitors.

MAGA, QAnon, Proud Boys, etc are so out of touch with reality that even their form of false patriotism ends up being the real treason. Talk about "I'll take False Patriots for $200"!!

Old 02-17-2021, 04:56 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Bain capital bought debt from companies, then liquidated them for fast money.

Small towns with one or two primary employers go out of business, the town is depopulated, and people are forced into metropolitan areas.

This is not the actions of a god-fearing man. Say what you want about globalization, but this mind set is anti-Christian.

So I don't buy the argument that Romney is a godly or pious man, because he isn't.
I agree with you that change and progress are often looked upon as anti-Christian. And I agree that in globalization there are always winners and losers. sometimes the winners are not Americans and the losers are.

I would submit that there is often conflict between what people see as Christian values and the classic right-wing view of free market principles. And guess who created the laws that made what Bain Capital did possible? A whole lot of politicians who traded on their strong Christian values. I certainly don't see the Christians in Congress doing anything about it.

I know a fellow who is a self-described evangelical who says he believes strongly in capitalism. He often goes off on corporations for favoring shareholders over employees. It causes him much cognitive dissonance when I point out that shareholders are the epitome of capitalism.

Bain Capital did exactly what capitalists do. Do I like it? Nope. Does it surprise me that many so-called true believers are usually in it for the money? Nope. Do I think that progress can be halted? Nope.

Rest assured that those small town folks were lining up at the Walmart to save two bucks while the local businesses were struggling. I know it for a fact. I've watched it happen. A lot of then attend church on Sunday.

Few people that I know will pay a premium for American made or grown, locally sourced products. I would prefer to see small towns thrive, but it often means hanging onto an unsustainable past. I.e. for coal country to flourish, we need to ignore the implications of dirty energy and jobs that literally kill the workers.

Also, I'd bet that you enjoy many products that come from companies that Bain Capital has invested in - Dominos, , Dunkin Dougnuts, AMC, Burlington, Sealy, Staples, The Weather Channel, literally hundreds of others. There are many sides to this issue. It could even be argued that Bain Capital has saved or created many jobs. Perhaps, just not in locales that you favor.

Complaining about Romney's connection to Bain capital is really just a way for many people to attack him for not kissing Trump's flabby behind, as far as I can tell. And there is nothing "god-fearing" about Trump, that is for sure.

Last edited by shaker281; 02-17-2021 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 05:46 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Utah isn't a knuckle-dragging Tea Party state. The vast majority of them are moral & fiscal conservatives who never cared much for Trump in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies