Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:39 AM

2,082 posts, read 925,339 times

Advertisements

Romney is a genteel Country Club Republican who has no fight in him, Trump is a fighter like the democrats who never give up on their agenda if it takes years they are determined to accomplish their goals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting.....Globalist Mitt may pay for his traitorous behavior

Mitt Romney Could Soon Pay the Price for Voting to Convict Trump

Some Utah Republicans are rumbling in disgust over Republican Sen. Mitt Romney’s vote to convict former President Donald Trump during Trump’s Senate impeachment trial.

“I’ve gotten phone calls and emails, and I’m seeing a lot of chat on Facebook that people want to do a measure of censure against Sen. Romney

https://conservativebrief.com/could-soon-pay-35096/
Ring, ring, ring....

Romney: Hello?
Trump: Hi Mit, it's Owen"
Romney" Owen who"
Trump: Oh and two. Hahahahahahahahaha... click

Old 02-16-2021, 08:05 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Utah are not fans of the Trumps. He is fine.
You're right about many not liking Trump - see the quote below, which is correct, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Didn't grow up there myself, but I lived in Utah for 7 years. What I've noticed is that a lot of the Republican types we know out there might vote for Trump, but they hold their nose doing it.

Trump is a complicated topic. He did a lot of the right things -- things that a Libertarian like myself never believed he'd see a Republican do. He was also a bully, a blowhard and a serial adulterer. I've been gone from Utah for 15 years now, so I can't say I know what they think of Mitt. Mitt Romney wasn't even on anyone's radar when I last lived there. You likely know better than me, but I do know a lot of Utah Republicans who really hate Donald Trump.
I think Mitt is probably secure, but I wouldn't be willing to put any money on it. I don't think many people outside of Massachusetts knew much about him until he ran for president, so agree that he wasn't on the radar in Utah until relatively recently. I know a few people who were put off by him moving to Utah for what appeared to be political reasons. Kind of like how NYers viewed the Clintons.

Like many states these days, Utah is undergoing a change in political views and demographics. For now, it's still pretty solidly red, but who knows for how long. Lots more Independents, like one poster in this thread, and those my age (50-ish) have more Democrats than in the past. The Independent voters may like Mitt now, but I'm not convinced they'll like him better than someone else if he runs again.

Utah has a growing Hispanic population that has approximately doubled since 2000. Most are of Mexican descent. Right now they only make up about 15% of the total population, but numbers continue to increase. Not sure how many of them are Republican voters.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:09 AM

2,450 posts, read 974,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Senator Romney was almost killed because of this moron
No, he wasn't. Stop it!

Old 02-16-2021, 08:10 AM

2,450 posts, read 974,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What he loses in the polls now, he gains in credibility later.
Romney is sucking the **** of the liberal elite. Why he is a Republican is beyond me.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:12 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Romney is sucking the **** of the liberal elite. Why he is a Republican is beyond me.
He is a solid conservative lifetime member of the GOP.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You're right about many not liking Trump - see the quote below, which is correct, imho.

I think Mitt is probably secure, but I wouldn't be willing to put any money on it. I don't think many people outside of Massachusetts knew much about him until he ran for president, so agree that he wasn't on the radar in Utah until relatively recently. I know a few people who were put off by him moving to Utah for what appeared to be political reasons. Kind of like how NYers viewed the Clintons.

Like many states these days, Utah is undergoing a change in political views and demographics. For now, it's still pretty solidly red, but who knows for how long. Lots more Independents, like one poster in this thread, and those my age (50-ish) have more Democrats than in the past. The Independent voters may like Mitt now, but I'm not convinced they'll like him better than someone else if he runs again.

Utah has a growing Hispanic population that has approximately doubled since 2000. Most are of Mexican descent. Right now they only make up about 15% of the total population, but numbers continue to increase. Not sure how many of them are Republican voters.
He did have the reputation of saving the 2002 Winter Olympics here (I dont remember the details, just that he is known for that), so there was that also. Also went to BYU long ago.

Quote:
The Utah Republican Party defended Romney and Sen. Mike Lee for their votes in the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump , citing "the difference between our Utah Republicans showcase a diversity of thought, in contrast to the danger of a party fixated on 'unanimity of thought.'"

"Disagreement is natural and healthy in a party that is based on principles—not on persona. In fact, those principles are the reason behind unprecedented American prosperity during the last four years," the statement read. The full statement is below.
https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-rep...ations-censure

Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
He is a solid conservative lifetime member of the GOP.
Today, being a Republican means marching in lockstep with their Messiah, Trump.

Anyone who has one independent thought of their own . . is ousted by their party.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:17 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I have a couple conflicting thoughts here. I'm Mormon, and grew up in Utah. My parents will probably always vote R regardless of the candidate, but they're in their 70's. My siblings (seven of them) have varying political leanings, and not all of them are even registered Republicans. Some Utahns have a dislike of Romney even though he's Mormon because he's too unlike them; rich, arrogant, seen as a Coastie.

I have no idea what will happen - there are too many different factions in play here. I can say what I HOPE will happen - that Mitt gets the boot. He's a douche, vapid, and thinks he deserved the presidency based on nothing more than the fact that he's rich.
I'm a Utah Mormon, in my 70s like your parents. I was raised by parents who pretty consistently voted Republican (although I know they made a few exceptions). I'm pretty sure that, if they were still alive, they'd be mortified at what the GOP has become today.

Anyway, I considered myself Republican for years, probably until about 15 years ago. Then, even though I was a registered Republican, I more or less considered myself to be politically unaffiliated. For the past ten or twelve years, I've voted Democrat more often than I've voted Republican. (I voted third party in 2016, because I couldn't bring myself to vote for either Clinton or Trump.) Finally, just prior to the 2020 primaries, I formally changed my party affiliation to Democrat. Only about 17% of American Mormons are Democrats, so I totally know what it's like to be in the minority. I also know what it's like to be criticized by other Mormons (even here on C-D) for not keeping my political views to myself -- as if it's some kind of a crime to be proud to be an outspoken LDS Democrat.

In my opinion, there has ever been a POTUS than is as depraved, despicable, disgusting, immoral, dishonest, crude, hypocritical, disrespectful (and I could go on and on and on) than Donald J. Trump. I know how hard it must have been for the seven Republican senators who voted to convict Trump to do so. They were, indeed, profiles in courage. This may hurt Romney politically, but I know a great many Democrats who might just vote for him to show him how much they appreciate his integrity. I am one of them. Besides, Romney knows he will have to answer to a Higher Power than the Republican Party (or what's left of it). He can at least live with himself. I don't know how the 43 who decided to just turn a blind eye to Trump's incitement to insurrection can do the same.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-16-2021 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-16-2021, 06:44 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Today, being a Republican means marching in lockstep with their Messiah, Trump.

Anyone who has one independent thought of their own . . is ousted by their party.
Swing and a miss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies