Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,723 times

Advertisements

Best for Mitt if he switches parties. He will fit right in around Schumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
He's got 4 long years to move on from whoever is still mad about it then.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I used to like Mitt, and voted for him as President, but I was disgusted how weak he was running against Obama...no fight in him at all. I like him even less now.

He's not up for election until 2024, so we'll see how long the memories of Utah's citizens are. He's also 73, so he might not run again. I think that decision will be made based on his polling going into the 2024 election cycle.
I was going to vote for him until I heard about the comment about the 47%. I was like well if you feel that way then I will vote for your opponent. I didn't like Obama, but I wasn't going to vote for him when he viewed me that way.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:21 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
Party over country..Check Wicked Witch Nancy Pelosi.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:30 PM

13,620 posts, read 4,940,342 times
https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-rep...ations-censure

Utah GOP defended Romney. Utahans are conservative, but they are not dogmatic partisans. They share a libertarian streak with Arizona and New Hampshire. They won’t kiss anyone’s behind, including Trump’s.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Utah Mormon, in my 70s like your parents. I was raised by parents who pretty consistently voted Republican (although I know they made a few exceptions). I'm pretty sure that, if they were still alive, they'd be mortified at what the GOP has become today.

Anyway, I considered myself Republican for years, probably until about 15 years ago. Then, even though I was a registered Republican, I more or less considered myself to be politically unaffiliated. For the past ten or twelve years, I've voted Democrat more often than I've voted Republican. (I voted third party in 2016, because I couldn't bring myself to vote for either Clinton or Trump.) Finally, just prior to the 2020 primaries, I formally changed my party affiliation to Democrat. Only about 17% of American Mormons are Democrats, so I totally know what it's like to be in the minority. I also know what it's like to be criticized by other Mormons (even here on C-D) for not keeping my political views to myself -- as if it's some kind of a crime to be proud to be an outspoken LDS Democrat.

In my opinion, there has ever been a POTUS than is as depraved, despicable, disgusting, immoral, dishonest, crude, hypocritical, disrespectful (and I could go on and on and on) than Donald J. Trump. I know how hard it must have been for the seven Republican senators who voted to convict Trump to do so. They were, indeed, profiles in courage. This may hurt Romney politically, but I know a great many Democrats who might just vote for him to show him how much they appreciate his integrity. I am one of them. Besides, Romney knows he will have to answer to a Higher Power than the Republican Party (or what's left of it). He can at least live with himself. I don't know how the 43 who decided to just turn a blind eye to Trump's incitement to insurrection can do the same.
That really surprises me!! Nearly all of the friends I've stayed in touch with since leaving Utah are Democrats, and at least three of my siblings are, so I assumed the number was higher. Nowhere near half, but I'd have thought between 25-30%.

As for the incitement to insurrection charges, I'm not convinced that's what he did. From a legal standpoint, rather than an emotional one, I don't think there was enough to convict. You can find plenty of lawyers who say the same, but I picked this lawyer and the prosecutor because one is liberal and the other is in D.C. - so you would think they'd be against Trump enough to not have a right-leaning bias and reason to argue for him.

"Paul Smith, a lawyer who has argued for liberal causes at the U.S. Supreme Court, said the Brandenburg case shows Trump’s speech was constitutionally protected.
A top prosecutor in the District of Columbia, Ken Kohl, on Jan. 8 told reporters that he did not expect to see a criminal case against Trump for inciting violence."

Old 02-16-2021, 09:37 PM

13,620 posts, read 4,940,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
He is a solid conservative lifetime member of the GOP.
Unlike Trump, who was a democrat, then a Republican. Pro- choice, then pro-life. Atheist, then Bible-thumper. Draft dodger, then pro- military. Pro-military, unless a war hero runs against him. Employer of illegal immigrants, then immigration hardliner.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:22 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
The former president is not a Republican, he is not a conservative. He used the R label because the R voters are more gullible, it's the party that surrendered the stage to him. Romney is 1000% times more conservative than the former president as are most Americans.
He isn’t the only one, many a politician does that, like Rhinos

Old 02-16-2021, 10:23 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Yeah, the Republicans jumped right on censuring those who voted to convict Trump. It's disgusting that they put party over country. Mitt is the main one who had a spine and stood up to the Republican party. Thankfully others have been able to do the same.
Most likely not

Old 02-17-2021, 09:52 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
That really surprises me!! Nearly all of the friends I've stayed in touch with since leaving Utah are Democrats, and at least three of my siblings are, so I assumed the number was higher. Nowhere near half, but I'd have thought between 25-30%.
The 17% was a figure I just had in my head from a couple of years back, so I did a little more research. Two surveys I found said the figure is 19%. Still not a lot. From what I understand, though, the age demographics indicate the younger Mormons are more likely to be Democrats, and I heard that the area around BYU voted for Biden in the last election.

Quote:
As for the incitement to insurrection charges, I'm not convinced that's what he did.
Wow. I couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies