Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times

Advertisements

It’s not always the schools fault, some of you have never been to a public school full of minorities and it shows. Class disruptions by students who don’t give a damn (who have parents who don’t give a damn) happens every single day.

The only solution is getting them into private school. If you can’t, then move to a different school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 07:49 PM

264 posts, read 101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa
First and foremost, parents need to ensure that their children are doing well in school - periodically asking the child how they are doing, reviewing the syllabus with the students, reviewing the child's weekly tasks, communicating with the instructors frequently, directly receiving the grade reports periodically via email or via a website and interceding quickly if there is a problem or a need to enroll the child in another school.

The school dropped the ball as well - promoting the student to higher level classes although the student failed the prerequisite courses.

Intercession is needed!

With a single parent working 2, 3 or more jobs, it is very difficult some times. Being a responsible parent while managing multiple jobs and other responsibilities is quite challenging but it is something that we must do.

Critical that there is intercession by a guidance counselor or other resource to ensure that there is not a direct pathway from failure at school to juvenile detention and then to prison.

Failure to intercede increases the probability that the collateral consequences becomes an ever-increasing cost that society will have to bare - one way or another!

Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Reading mummy dearest's rant pointing the blame at everyone and everything BUT herself, is the core root of what is so wrong with our society these days. It's always someone else's fault but your own. No wonder we are raising a bunch of underachievers.

She KNEW he had failing grades, yet because somehow he was allowed to take more advanced classes, mummy assumed everything was peachy?

Old 03-03-2021, 08:55 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lol, yep. My public school district spends about $20k/student annually and has terrible results. Catholic schools in my area spend less than half that and have vastly better outcomes. Time to break the coddled teacher unions stranglehold on education. Vouchers time has come.
GIGO.

I had some really good teachers. In 8th grade we did a ton of independent and small group learning in home room as, well, about half the kids who graduate from that middle school are functionally illiterate, as in they graduate and read below the fourth grade level. Today though you probably couldn't do that. It would be considered demeaning to split the class apart into groups and some of them read Cantebury Tales in middle English and another group working on James and the Giant Peach. For some of the class, James and the Giant Peach was very challenging... maybe they picked something that was a bit more suited to the age group than that, but that's what their reading level was and the system just passed them from grade to grade. Unless you're a self-starter, and schools do a great job of drilling that out of kids, you can't really blame them for performing at an average level which was reading below the fourth grade level. They generally met the expectations and coasted through from grade to grade. There were plenty of individual teachers within that system that did try and in a lot of cases did a lot to get that type of student at least closer to grade level, but there's only so much individual teachers can accomplish in a year.

It's generational. I wouldn't be surprised if this kids' mom went through a similar public school system that I went through except instead of having educated parents that set expectations who could sit there and educate her where the school system did not, she just was one of the many who got passed along from grade to grade achieving a fifth grade education in ten years before dropping out of school. Without my parents, who knows how I would have ended up. I did a lot of coasting in school. If I wasn't interested in something good luck getting me to do any work at all. Drove my parents nuts who made my life miserable, but by high school the only thing that kept me in school was sports and band. Had to have a C average so I copied enough homework to get a C average until I got into the AP/Honors classes which were more interesting.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-03-2021 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-04-2021, 02:47 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,570 times
What kind of classes was he in? I'll figure out what kind of students was he with. Which explains the 0.13 G.P.A. That means the classes was for dumb students. Only fitting that he received the grade point average. He was the same as his peers. That is passing according to some. Is this satisfactory?

Old 03-04-2021, 02:53 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
It's Baltimore Public Schools. It's a system fraught with corruption; in 2019, it was revealed that students who missed 100 or more days of school per school year were still able to graduate. Whistleblowers were intimidated or warned to stay silent. The school system authorities just care about having the right-looking statistics and push kids through from one grade to the next despite the fact these teenagers are almost literally illiterate.

There are cases elsewhere where the failures of students, parents, and schools to produce successful students are not this drastic. But when kids don't learn much during 4 years of high school, how can they expected to compete at the university level with fellow high school graduates who DID study, who DID learn, who DID get good grades? And how could affirmative action possibly solve this issue?

affirmative action is just a test run of communism and equality of outcome.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Sounds like the parent was just waiting on him to die or turn 18 so he isn’t her “problem” at all.

When she couldn't claim him as a dependent anymore.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
To be fair, we are paying huge amounts of money for those public schools to exist so until we dismantle the broken system, get those kids in school. Every study I have read says it's safe with simple measures. Catholic schools here never **** down and they have had little to no issues. Of course the coddled teacher unions won't have it in many places.
exactly because teacher unions are just a reflection of society. They want to be paid and have full benefits in exchange for playing on the computer for a few hours a day.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:45 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
{shrug} just another aspiring rapper fulfilling his biological potential.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:10 AM

2,828 posts, read 826,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa
It wasn't completely the school's fault, after all, he missed 359 days, How can you learn anything if you are not there and wasn't his mother paying attention to his grades throughout the year? OTOH, the school district should have caught it and held him back from the beginning and if he was having trouble he should ask for help. It is obvious this student and his mother were partly responsible for what happened and are now looking for a free ride. If they graduate this student without the basics in education he will end up in jail or dead. With that said, I have very little use for the public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies