Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:01 PM

45,314 posts, read 26,585,566 times

Advertisements

Straight up child abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 11:50 PM

518 posts, read 450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you ever asked an abused child what it's like to be beaten every day? What a horrific statement.

Kids aren't being muzzled. A mask doesn't disable them from speaking - but are the adults listening? If kids haven't been resilient through the pandemic, they have only the adults in their lives to blame.

Of course kids are going to be harmed. We're all harmed; we've had to reconstruct our lives for the past year when we were expecting the pandemic to last a few months at the most.

I agree with you about abused children but disagree with you on the adults listening, at least as far as blaming parents as opposed to the unelected bureaucrats for any psychological damage mask mandates or more importantly lockdowns and school closures have on children.

The "adults" that are to blame are the government bureaucrats, teachers unions, and independently wealthy individuals that are largely unaffected by the lockdowns they so aggressively support who fear monger a virus that has a 99.98% survival rate. They then have the nerve to accuse anyone who dares to show concern about the obvious and incredibly devastating economic, educational, and social consequences of prolonged shutdowns of wanting to "kill grandma". It's bad enough that people have lost jobs, businesses, and hope due to these shutdowns, they then have to suffer the additional indignity of having to listen to wealthy bureaucrats whose jobs will never be affected by the shutdowns and other independently wealthy individuals who are and will never be financially affected by the lockdowns lecture them on why they're selfish, terrible people who don't care if people die if they don't sacrifice their financial well being for the "safety" of others.

The mask mandates are annoying and even though I question how truly effective they are at preventing the spread of Covid they don't bother me that much. The bigger problem with mask mandates is they are often used as precursor to justify lockdowns which I have a much bigger problem with especially when as far as I can tell NO ONE even a year into the Covid lockdowns is even allowed to discuss the massive economic and mental health damage Covid lockdowns have had.

No one in power in this country even dares in any serious way to consider the devastating economic, social, and mental health fallout of lockdowns. It is ALL about "stopping the spread" and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS which is absolutely insane when you think about it. It's hard not to be incredibly cynical when such huge issues related to the pandemic that have such huge long term negative ramifications on the economic and psychological well being of the country are COMPLETELY ignored by the covid alarmists and their media hacks. Truly amazing how the mainstream media completely ignores that aspect of the pandemic and the bureaucrats insist we must continue committing economic suicide and sacrificing more and more of our civil liberties until there are no new cases as if the complete elimination of the virus is even remotely possible any time soon.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-16-2021 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 03-16-2021, 07:41 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,823,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I agree with you about abused children but disagree with you on the adults listening, at least as far as blaming parents as opposed to the unelected bureaucrats for any psychological damage mask mandates or more importantly lockdowns and school closures have on children.

The "adults" that are to blame are the government bureaucrats, teachers unions, and independently wealthy individuals that are largely unaffected by the lockdowns they so aggressively support who fear monger a virus that has a 99.98% survival rate. They then have the nerve to accuse anyone who dares to show concern about the obvious and incredibly devastating economic, educational, and social consequences of prolonged shutdowns of wanting to "kill grandma". It's bad enough that people have lost jobs, businesses, and hope due to these shutdowns, they then have to suffer the additional indignity of having to listen to wealthy bureaucrats whose jobs will never be affected by the shutdowns and other independently wealthy individuals who are and will never be financially affected by the lockdowns lecture them on why they're selfish, terrible people who don't care if people die if they don't sacrifice their financial well being for the "safety" of others.

The mask mandates are annoying and even though I question how truly effective they are at preventing the spread of Covid they don't bother me that much. The bigger problem with mask mandates is they are often used as precursor to justify lockdowns which I have a much bigger problem with especially when as far as I can tell NO ONE even a year into the Covid lockdowns is even allowed to discuss the massive economic and mental health damage Covid lockdowns have had.

No one in power in this country even dares in any serious way to consider the devastating economic, social, and mental health fallout of lockdowns. It is ALL about "stopping the spread" and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS which is absolutely insane when you think about it. It's hard not to be incredibly cynical when such huge issues related to the pandemic that have such huge long term negative ramifications on the economic and psychological well being of the country are COMPLETELY ignored by the covid alarmists and their media hacks. Truly amazing how the mainstream media completely ignores that aspect of the pandemic and the bureaucrats insist we must continue committing economic suicide and sacrificing more and more of our civil liberties until there are no new cases as if the complete elimination of the virus is even remotely possible any time soon.

Well said. Agree with an awful lot here.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 AM

24,093 posts, read 15,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post

How about you giving us a tutorial on how individuals, the medical community and various governments should respond to a new virus that infects humans. Back in last Feb-March time frame nobody knew who and how the virus infected, for how long and what the term long haulers was. The virus has an incubation period of 14 days +/-, maybe longer. Researchers and practitioners still do not know who is susceptible and who is not. Some get it, some don't. Some have symptoms, some don't. Those who don't sometimes get another medical problem weeks or months later.
How would you keep people safe and at the same time help those who are caring for the very ill.

Who gets to pick up the tab for the cost?

Old 03-16-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How about you giving us a tutorial on how individuals, the medical community and various governments should respond to a new virus that infects humans. Back in last Feb-March time frame nobody knew who and how the virus infected, for how long and what the term long haulers was. The virus has an incubation period of 14 days +/-, maybe longer. Researchers and practitioners still do not know who is susceptible and who is not. Some get it, some don't. Some have symptoms, some don't. Those who don't sometimes get another medical problem weeks or months later.
How would you keep people safe and at the same time help those who are caring for the very ill.

Who gets to pick up the tab for the cost?
I'm not a medical expert and would never claim to be one. You raise some really good questions and points about medical experts not knowing a lot about this virus because it was a novel virus and know one knew enough about it in February/March of last year to know how to effectively attack it. All valid points.

Ironically, those valid points about nobody including all the best medical experts knowing back in February/March 2020 about who and how the virus infected and affected people pretty much kills the Trump haters narrative that Trump knew very early on how dangerous and deadly the virus was and his mistakes alone are the sole reason over 500,000 Americans have died and millions of jobs have been lost. How is it solely Trump's sole responsibility to know what to do when even Dr. Fauci and the other medical experts Trump was relying on didn't even know how to effectively fight the virus? Trump as well as both Republican and Democratic leaders and even Dr. Fauci made several mistakes early on in the pandemic and we're supposed to believe Trump deserves all of the blame while the medical experts as well as leaders in both parties deserve none of the blame? How is that even logical given how little ANYONE knew about the virus 12 or 13 months ago?

As for the virus itself, you make some great points and are asking some very valid questions which again was one of the points of my previous reply in this thread. The public health questions you raised are obviously valid and necessary to know in order to effectively fight and end the pandemic. My main point was that the other half of the crisis...how to best mitigate the devastating economic and mental health ramifications of lockdowns implemented to try to slow the pandemic...is the aspect has been almost completely ignored by the media and those that at least seem more interested in using the pandemic lockdowns and the pandemic itself as a political weapon against Trump instead of asking a couple of the relevant questions and concerns you raised. The problem is that no one seems interested in finding an answer or a solution to the other half of the crisis.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:47 PM

8,585 posts, read 4,832,965 times
I’ve seen low-budget sci fi movies which seem to better grasp epidemiology better than some folks here.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 6,372,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’ve seen low-budget sci fi movies which seem to better grasp epidemiology better than some folks here.
Some of us don't give a damn about epidemiology including we Grandmas who are sick and tired of hearing about "killing Grandma". Who appointed YOU our Guardians?

Old 03-16-2021, 01:20 PM

8,585 posts, read 4,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Some of us don't give a damn about epidemiology including we Grandmas who are sick and tired of hearing about "killing Grandma". Who appointed YOU our Guardians?
Well, at least you’re honest.

FWIW, these are guidelines rather than mandates, so it’s not like your arm is getting twisted here.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, at least you’re honest.

FWIW, these are guidelines rather than mandates, so it’s not like your arm is getting twisted here.

Sure, that may be true with regards to masks but what about the businesses in lockdown states that are repeatedly fined and eventually padlocked for simply trying to survive or homeowners having their power shut off by order of the local and/or state government? Is that considered arm twisting or simply a voluntary guideline?

Old 03-16-2021, 02:33 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,744,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am willing to go on record as saying I am completely okay with infecting other people's grandparents (and you) with a potentially deadly viral pathogen that hijacks their cells to reproduce and mutate. You go girl!

Probably will help with Medicare and Social Security solvency too. And think of all the doilies and Hummel's that they will bequeath to their family's, who pretend they want them. Plus, they drive really slow. And cause accidents. So traffic will improve. So many positives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies