Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 01:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,921,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your last statement is ridiculous.

And I hope you don't talk like that in front of kids.

Parents I've talked to haven't had real issues with kids masking up. And when I'm in a store, I've never seen a child fuss with their mask, fuss about the mask, none of it.

I see the kids get off the bus and they don't rip off their masks like most of us adults walking out of the store .....lol

Kids don't have all the baggage we do and we can help them to deal with most situations.
Masking up is the new norm for a lot of kids.

Expecting a 2 year old to remain masked however, is quite a challenge.

Can’t imagine most day care centers choose to follow the guideline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 01:42 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,839,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmisty10 View Post
Children are more resilient than you think

That’s a great sentiment to help people ignore the harm caused to them.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,921,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you ever asked an abused child what it's like to be beaten every day? What a horrific statement.

Kids aren't being muzzled. A mask doesn't disable them from speaking - but are the adults listening? If kids haven't been resilient through the pandemic, they have only the adults in their lives to blame.

Of course kids are going to be harmed. We're all harmed; we've had to reconstruct our lives for the past year when we were expecting the pandemic to last a few months at the most.

But Moneill is absolutely correct: Kids pick up on cues from the adults around them. If a child is given hope, encouragement, and positive guidance, he or she likely will weather this challenge. If a child is bombarded with illogical statements and hyperbole - regardless of the composition of the content - they're going to come away with a negative impact. Adults have to be adults and remember that the kids are depending on us.
Neighbors have young children who choose to sleep with their masks on. Mom says it must be like a security blanket for them.

Another mom talks about her kids using masks as ricochets. She finds them everywhere.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
That was in the beginning of the pandemic
Not in CA.
Quote:
Children ARE superspreaders of covid
That’s 100% untrue.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:00 PM

5,099 posts, read 2,307,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And kids that used to be flogged with a belt each day "didn't have issues" either, right? The problem is NOT that your kid is going to rebel when you tell him or her to put a mask on. The PROBLEM is the psychology of doing it in the first place. Anyone can "train" a kid to do just about anything. They train kids to be human bombs in the middle east. Again, it is not that you can't get your kid to do just about anything you wish. The problem is the act of doing so and the long-term harm.
Thank you for this.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:09 PM

24,164 posts, read 15,244,018 times
Quote:
Not really
Do you have a graduate degree in communication and several years on Madison Avenue

DO you have a graduate degree in early childhood education? Plus regular updates?

And 25 years teaching and supervising preschool teachers? And so good at it you make 185K a year running a not for profit preschool?

If so, I'll consider your thoughts. If not, I'll rely on people who spend their lives with 2 and 3 year old people.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:10 PM

5,099 posts, read 2,307,994 times
Quote:
Children ARE superspreaders of covid
This is false. Young children are barely spreaders of Covid at all. Teens do spread it, but are not "superspreaders". Last I checked, the group most likely to spread it are these guys:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/co...-spread-177654

You're saying children are 25-49 years old?

Old 03-15-2021, 02:17 PM

24,164 posts, read 15,244,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As I said earlier... all the while turning those children into Annie Wilkes' as adults. You folks are sacrificing your children. At least the Aztecs had civility enough to get it over with quickly. I hope there will come a day when sanity rises from the ashes and you folks will be held responsible for what you are doing to your children. It's abuse, plain and simple. I'll bet most kids would prefer a razor strap once a day to being muzzled all day every day.

According to my friend who teaches child psychology at the university level, the kid who knows their dad will come home drunk every night and beat them with a belt is better off than the kid who never knows what dad will do.

I guess knowing you will get the belt is consistent.

Never knowing what will happen next creates doubt. I can vouch for that.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:23 PM

628 posts, read 288,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am a parent and I have not been on board with what is going on and my kids were impacted by the insanity of remote school, isolation, etc. So many kids are struggling with depression right now, it’s scary.
And I would bet many of those kids impacted this way have parents who, like yourself, are not on board with what is going on and are telegraphing to the kids that this is not okay. My grandchildren are handling it like champs but then again they have parents who do not make a big deal of it, just frame it as something we are doing for now and as something that will end. Same thing with remote schooling - not an issue if the parents don't make it an issue. I get that it's extremely hard for parents to manage remote schooling if their jobs are outside the home, but the stress of it should fall only on the parents and they should present a united positive front to their children if possible.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Obviously you haven't followed the science
Lol. Kids are not super spreaders. That is what the science has told us and it’s been known for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies