Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 10:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thanks. I had convinced myself this morning that I wasn't going to become upset about this nonsense. But then this thread came along... oh well.

And the sad thing is they don't seem to understand what the consequences will be. Or maybe they do. I'd like to think not, but it is more likely they DO understand because people can only be so stupid. There is a point where it couldn't possibly be stupidity anymore. I think we passed that point nearly a year ago.
Only thing any of us control is our own reaction. Getting upset/ becoming outraged is a choice.

Rather fascinating that 1+ year into this, how many persist with a notion masks protect a wearer as opposed to OTHERS from the wearer’s respiratory droplets.

It seems to demonstrate a culture that is a tad challenged to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask because most common masks do little to protect the wearer.

Surgeons and nurses have been wearing masks in the OR for nearly 100 years because it is understood their respiratory droplets could infect their patients. Same for physician/ midwife assisted births and subsequent maternity wards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 10:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
My daily paper did an article yesterday interviewing a doctor at Texas Children's Hospital regarding kids ,Covid and vaccines.

He said they have tested and treated 10,000 positive kids. He did not say how many had been hospitalized. But most were at home during treatment. He did talk about young teen long haulers.

IDK what the cut off age considered in children. He did say they have treated infants with covid.

IMO, since covid has an incubation period, nobody knows if they are throwing it off, and some people are asymptomatic, at least vaccinate the teachers.

Anybody trying to mask a 2 yo all day long is nuts.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
I'll bet most kids would prefer a razor strap once a day to being muzzled all day every day.
Have you ever asked an abused child what it's like to be beaten every day? What a horrific statement.

Kids aren't being muzzled. A mask doesn't disable them from speaking - but are the adults listening? If kids haven't been resilient through the pandemic, they have only the adults in their lives to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Give me a break. Kids have thoughts and feelings too and are being harmed by this.
Of course kids are going to be harmed. We're all harmed; we've had to reconstruct our lives for the past year when we were expecting the pandemic to last a few months at the most.

But Moneill is absolutely correct: Kids pick up on cues from the adults around them. If a child is given hope, encouragement, and positive guidance, he or she likely will weather this challenge. If a child is bombarded with illogical statements and hyperbole - regardless of the composition of the content - they're going to come away with a negative impact. Adults have to be adults and remember that the kids are depending on us.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:14 AM

25,804 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Kids have not been masked for long and the masks will be less important as we become more vaccinated and see a drop in the virus spread.

The kids will be fine.
Thus the rise in depression, suicide and other issues with kids over the past year. Must be the sunspots.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:20 AM

25,804 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have you ever asked an abused child what it's like to be beaten every day? What a horrific statement.
Yes, I have. I have two cousins who were in that boat. One has been in prison since he was eighteen for almost all of his life. He is now in his early fifties. The other has had social problems her entire life. But that is not the kind of problems this masking thing is going to cause. I'm not a child psychologist and neither are you. I would suggest reading some of the material written by actual child psychologists on the matter. You'll find the literature going both ways. But is it worth the risk of finding out who was right?

Quote:
Kids aren't being muzzled. A mask doesn't disable them from speaking
Yes, they are being muzzled. A dog muzzle does not stop a dog from "speaking" either.

Quote:
Adults have to be adults and remember that the kids are depending on us.
Again, the rise in child suicide, depression, etc, rates must be due to sunspots. It couldn't have a thing to do with forced masking, could it?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:38 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Kids have not been masked for long and the masks will be less important as we become more vaccinated and see a drop in the virus spread.

The kids will be fine.
A year is a very long time for kids.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Only thing any of us control is our own reaction. Getting upset/ becoming outraged is a choice.

Rather fascinating that 1+ year into this, how many persist with a notion masks protect a wearer as opposed to OTHERS from the wearer’s respiratory droplets.

It seems to demonstrate a culture that is a tad challenged to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask because most common masks do little to protect the wearer.

Surgeons and nurses have been wearing masks in the OR for nearly 100 years because it is understood their respiratory droplets could infect their patients. Same for physician/ midwife assisted births and subsequent maternity wards.
Well no, it’s been proven that control spans our reaction. Control means making people mask, distance, do remote school, lose jobs, businesses etc. all in hope to protect people from a respiratory virus with a 99% ish survival rate.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
Quote:
Thus the rise in depression, suicide and other issues with kids over the past year. Must be the sunspots.
Saying masks are the reason there are mental health issues is oversimplifying the issue.

Most experts have acknowledged that being at home so much has had an adverse impact on the kids. Att home they don't wear masks.

In fact, the experts have suggested that the social distancing and masks are ways we can get kids back into schools together.

I'm telling you -- teachers and parents have said that the whole mask thing isn't a real problem like the adults thought it would be.

The kids don't fuss with them, the kids wear them, etc.

Parents should make sure that whatever they are doing they are helping their kids to cope.

If you have a child that you think can't handle a mask or the rules then find another solution for them.

But ranting and raging about the rules isn't going to help that kid cope.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Of course kids are going to be harmed. We're all harmed; we've had to reconstruct our lives for the past year when we were expecting the pandemic to last a few months at the most.
What on earth made you or anyone expect a respiratory virus would die out in a few months? I didn’t expect that. I expected that people would realize that we needed to figure how to live with it.

Quote:
But Moneill is absolutely correct: Kids pick up on cues from the adults around them. If a child is given hope, encouragement, and positive guidance, he or she likely will weather this challenge. If a child is bombarded with illogical statements and hyperbole - regardless of the composition of the content - they're going to come away with a negative impact. Adults have to be adults and remember that the kids are depending on us.
Do you have kids at home?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Saying masks are the reason there are mental health issues is oversimplifying the issue.

Most experts have acknowledged that being at home so much has had an adverse impact on the kids. Att home they don't wear masks.

In fact, the experts have suggested that the social distancing and masks are ways we can get kids back into schools together.

I'm telling you -- teachers and parents have said that the whole mask thing isn't a real problem like the adults thought it would be.

The kids don't fuss with them, the kids wear them, etc.

Parents should make sure that whatever they are doing they are helping their kids to cope.

If you have a child that you think can't handle a mask or the rules then find another solution for them.

But ranting and raging about the rules isn't going to help that kid cope.
Masks, distancing, isolation, giving up sports, activities, seeing friends and struggling with online school have led to increased depression and suicides in kids and teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies