Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2023, 11:38 AM

13,018 posts, read 9,541,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What next, Sports Illustrated has already ran out of ideas and grasping for straws as it is.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/yumi...225743121.html
Why do they insist on calling someone who is fat "curvy"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 11:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Because curvy isn’t being a meanie and hurting feelings

Old 02-12-2023, 01:03 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Why would young men look at fat half-naked women when they can easily find slim fully-naked beautiful girls of all origins on the Internet ?
That's my point they don't, so that's no longer the target audience now its consumers.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:34 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,409,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've been aware of this thread for a while, but I've never summoned up the energy to respond until now.

I guess I have a different take on this. I, too, am tired of the term "curvy" being used to describe fat people. I have a "curvy" figure at my "best" weight (which I am not at right now , so I'm not trying to "fat-shame").

Anyway, if you just look at her from the waist up, she looks normal to me. Look at the size of her head, her body is almost small in comparison. Her stomach is flat. The thing is, is that she's disproportionate in the hip/leg area. If she dieted that down, her upper body would probably be somewhat emaciated. She is toned, it's not like there are big blobs of fat.

Anyway, she is a large-framed woman, for sure, but I don't think she is horribly obese or anything. I've seen many other examples that I would actually take umbrage with. lol
I agree... She is technically obese according to the BMI scale, but she doesn't look sloppy and gross like Lizzo. And you can technically be fat and curvy and skinny and curvy... since curvy is a body shape.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:40 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I agree... She is technically obese according to the BMI scale, but she doesn't look sloppy and gross like Lizzo. And you can technically be fat and curvy and skinny and curvy... since curvy is a body shape.
Yep. I'm slim and curvy. I'm tall but have a small frame. I can't describe myself as curvy because that seems to be "code" for fat. I'm 5'8". My BMI is 18.7.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. I'm slim and curvy. I'm tall but have a small frame. I can't describe myself as curvy because that seems to be "code" for fat. I'm 5'8". My BMI is 18.7.
Yeah, I also notice that bigger women tend to get upset when thin women describe themselves as curvy...like they own the word.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:49 PM

13,805 posts, read 8,039,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
The woman quite beautiful but only 26-year-old. Unless changes are made, she will likely get bigger. It's not unusual to see an overweight person under 50 riding a motorized cart because they can't walk around my local supermarket. It's not only the heart which has to work overtime when a person is severely overweight but the knees too. The knees are often the first to go.

I had a co-worker who lost his license for a year yet continue to drive to work. I thought he was taking a significant risk and didn't understand why. Then I realized it was because of his size. At least 200 pounds overweight.

He couldn’t walk the distance to the subway station to say nothing of boarding a packed train.

Last edited by john3232; 02-12-2023 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-12-2023, 02:00 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Agree

Also want to know what kinds of sports this woman play to have such a big body like that. Lol
sumo?

Old 02-12-2023, 02:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don’t know, probably the same reason we call a man beefy or large or a teddy bear instead of saying he’s fat or doughy or he looks like he’s carrying twins. To save feelings, IOW.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The woman quite beautiful but only 26-year-old. Unless changes are made, she will likely get bigger. It's not unusual to see an overweight person under 50 riding a motorized cart because they can't walk around my local supermarket. It's not only the heart which has to work overtime when a person is severely overweight but the knees too. The knees are often the first to go.

I had a co-worker who lost his license for a year yet continue to drive to work. I thought he was taking a significant risk and didn't understand why. Then I realized it was because of his size. At least 200 pounds overweight.

He couldn’t walk the distance to the subway station to say nothing of boarding a packed train.
Yeah that's true... even if you gain weight in the "right places," it will take a toll on your health eventually and make it more difficult to get around..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies