Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 08:52 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
She is rich and famous.

Her grandpa is the owner of the Benihana restaurant chain.

Her aunt is a famous (real) model
https://www.12thblog.com/wp-content/...on-Aoki-43.jpg

Her mom is Dutch. What part of tough knocks Asian youth is this 26 year old? She grew up in California although she claims racism is everywhere in California.

Couldn’t SI find an actual Asian that met the left’s definition?
They weren't fat enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:04 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They weren't fat enough

Nothing like pushing obesity into normalcy no matter how bad it is for one’s health

Old 02-11-2023, 09:13 AM

574 posts, read 268,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

Nothing like pushing obesity into normalcy no matter how bad it is for one’s health
Not just that, these magazines were about celebrating beauty. Imagine if we start seeing "average joe or jane" on the cover next. What's the point?

Her health is her business (being obese is never healthy) but she's not beautiful to the vast majority of people. No reason for her to be on a cover, anymore than any average Jane they can pick up from the street,.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:46 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Not just that, these magazines were about celebrating beauty. Imagine if we start seeing "average joe or jane" on the cover next. What's the point?

Her health is her business (being obese is never healthy) but she's not beautiful to the vast majority of people. No reason for her to be on a cover, anymore than any average Jane they can pick up from the street,.
There’s definitely nothing appealing about her to me or others that look like her.

It’s folk’s business to be obese, however, it costs taxpayers a huge amount of money due to health issues…and as to being on the cover, I wouldn’t take that magazine for free as I don’t find her the least bit attractive.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I will say this about beauty... It's all about perception. Someone's personality, general disposition, and the way they treat others can make a "plain jane" type person appear to be very beautiful. We ALL know there are VERY ugly "celebrities" that look beautiful superficially but are very ugly people overall. Just sayin'.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:06 AM

8,714 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I will say this about beauty... It's all about perception. Someone's personality, general disposition, and the way they treat others can make a "plain jane" type person appear to be very beautiful.
Yeah, but we’re talking about a SI cover (and what it represents), lol. It’s not about anyone’s disposition/beauty and who we would date (or not). That I wouldn’t date an overweight/obese woman doesn’t have anything to do with a SI cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yumi Nu becomes Sports Illustrated’s first Asian curvy model: ‘We are worthy'
That I don’t agree an obese woman (or man) is worthy of a SI cover is not fat-shaming; that they think they are is nothing short of entitlement.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:10 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, but we’re talking about a SI cover (and what it represents), lol. It’s not about anyone’s disposition/beauty and who we would date (or not). That I wouldn’t date an overweight/obese woman doesn’t have anything to do with a SI cover.
That's true.

Quote:
That I don’t agree an obese woman (or man) is worthy of a SI cover is not fat-shaming; that they think they are is nothing short of entitlement.
Also true, IMO.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:30 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,155,337 times
Yumi is bigger than you and me.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:01 PM

13,826 posts, read 8,046,023 times
The Case Of The Fat Aerobics Instructor
https://www.forbes.com/2002/05/09/05...h=3bbd8f732221

EXERCISING HER RIGHT TO WORK / Fitness instructor wins weight-bias fight
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/....php#taboola-1

My initial thought was perhaps those overweight and thinking of getting in shape might feel more comfortable exercising with an instructor wasn't exactly in shape herself.

The same with clothes companies using models who are chunky (curvy) for advertising.

But I read (sorry no link) this idea has not taken off because it is not what most women want. They do not want to see someone chunky.… they want to see someone they hope to look like..

Last edited by john3232; 02-11-2023 at 12:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 12:10 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,019,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
EXERCISING HER RIGHT TO WORK / Fitness instructor wins weight-bias fight
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...#photo-2224382

My initial thought was perhaps those overweight and thinking of getting in shape might feel more comfortable exercising with an instructor wasn't exactly in top shape herself.

The same with clothes companies using models which are chunky (curvy) for advertising.

But I read (sorry no link) this idea has not taken off in a major way it is not what most women want. They do not want to see someone chunky.… they want to see someone they hope look like..
Clearly is what this is all about. We live in a consumer economy, young men are not buying sports illustrated to look at girls in swinsuits, before the internet that edition was a big deal, beauty pageants were a big deal, we now have generations of young men desensitized to half naked beautiful women so its not a big driver in terms of profit, it makes sense that since if you don't like yourself your not likely to buy new clothes, consume beauty products, if you normalize the thing that most of consumers already are then they can continue to buy stuff. All these things are markets interacting with other, maximizing profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies