Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 03:01 PM

176 posts, read 76,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Earlier I was sure that Chauvin would be found Not Guilty of all charges, because none of his actions caused Floyd's death. I thought the only thing that could have, was the knee of the neck exerting enough pressure to either close off his airway (doubtful because he's still talking), or to close off the blood supply to the brain. And such pressure would definitely leave bruising or contusions on the neck... but all evidence says there were NONE.

But during the trial, several expert witnesses said that's not the only way Chauvin and the others could have killed him. Cuffing his hands behind his back and putting him face down, and applying pressure to his back and shoulders and the back of the neck as the three cops did, could give Floyd so little room to breathe, that he would be asphyxiated and die from it.

With that in mind, I now believe that the actions of Chauvin and the other two cops COULD have killed him. I don't think it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt (he had taken a drug OD), but it COULD have contributed to his death. Along with the drugs he had taken, his blocked arteries near the heart, high blood pressure etc.

As for that Manslaughter charge, I now believe Chauvin is guilty of that one. Once the other officer announced that he could not find a pulse, Chauvin's DUTY was to get off him and try everything he could to help - chest compressions, CPR, artificial respiration etc. Chauvin didn't do any of them. And that falls into the exact definition of the Manslaughter charge.

One of the witnesses, a doctor, said that once the heart stops, CPR and the rest must be done IMMEDIATELY. Every minute that goes by without it, make a positive outcome 10-15% less likely. In Floyd's case there were several minutes of that. Even if Floyd were dying from a drug overdose, doing CPR etc. on him would have increased the chances he would recover, however temporarily as the Fentanyl spread through his system. Chauvin gave him none, and even prevented the other cops from giving him any. I believe he is guilty of Manslaughter as charged, through not giving any aid when he should have.
Nearly two weeks ago I said I believed that pressure on the back of his chest could cause breathing difficulty. Not pressure to the neck (where Chauvin was). Nor pressure on a shoulder. But to the back of the chest.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:04 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
What you refer to as the hordes of zombies are bouquets of humanity. Those bouquets include the bunch of flowers posting here calling for Chauvin's head on a platter.
Chauvin's head will never be on a platter. The most he'll get is a few years for manslaughter. Maybe. He's not being charged with first degree murder, which is the only charge that could put him on death row.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What level of meth was detected in Floyd's blood and what was the significance of that level? I would love to hear "your science."
You do realize that I'm not saying he OD'd on meth right?

I suppose all of the people who have died from heart attacks while speedballing should feel better now that random internet nobody says the drug's that killed them actually was protecting them.

It's just clown shoes tier rhetoric guy.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Dr. Tobin said two things that made me question his authority on breathing. He said that 1 - smoking has no effect on lung functioning capacity, and 2 - restriction of the chest wall arrest the ability to breathe.

Common sense tells us that a smoked-filled lung cannot function as well as one filled with fresh clean air.

Chest cavity increase not only from rib cage expansion. My yoga teacher told me that the best way to breathe is not through using the rib cage but through the downward movement of the diaphragm.
Tobin is an extremely credible witness for the prosecution.

At least he was for the first few minutes of his testimony until Blackwell stopped expositing his CV.

I've listened to the first 2 hours so far and it's been a bit disappointing for someone with his background.

1. Claims chest wall restriction would be functionally equivalent to pneumonectomy (forgetting about the diaphragm).
2. Thinks laryngopharynx can be occluded 60%+ from a posterolateral angle without crushing the spinal column.
3. Skirts around the idea that Floyd could speak or cry out, side-stepping implications this has on tidal volume.
4. Fails to account for methamphetamine when examining respiratory rate for fentanyl effects.

However, he did raise cogent points against opiate-mediated respiratory arrest.

His idea about the shoulder/hand acting as emergency accessory muscles may just reflect drug-related agitation.
At most, it confirms dyspnea (the subjective sensation of breathlessness) but not necessarily hypoxia.

He's either not explaining himself clearly (belying depth of knowledge) or his structured reasoning is weak.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
From what I am.seeing of the trial, it's been fair. Are you saying the judge is inept? The lawyers and evidence is inept? The testimony invalid?
What specifically in the trial is unfair?
The jurors aren't stupid. Most have to travel through an active riot zone to get to the courthouse. At least one witness has had their previous house vandalized.

A fair trial involves a jury that does not have reason to fear for their safety if they should happen to hand down the wrong verdict. And the judge has shown significant bias in the prosecution's favor.

I don't think that either side did a great job presenting their case and I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards Chauvin being guilty of manslaughter. But my opinion isn't the point. The point is that the jury, the witnesses and even the Defense Attorney have plenty of reason to fear for their lives.

Quote:
This constant scare tactic of ohhh my cities will burn down , is not as Nationwide as you'd like to convey.
It's not a scare tactic. It's already happening. The BLM terrorists are gathered. Terrorists by dictionary definition: The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

They're waiting. They'll lose their damn minds regardless of the outcome. Chauvin isn't on trial for 1st degree murder, but only a verdict of guilty in the 1st degree murder will satisfy the mob. Even that probably isn't enough. That's just how it is. Minneapolis will burn. Los Angeles will burn. New York City will burn. The cities will burn because it is not even possible for BLM to get their way in all of this. Nothing short of a public lynching of Derick Chauvin will be enough.

Quote:
I can't stop idiots that do such harm. I can know that we have systems in place to curtail these people who lack regard for towns. But does that mean that Mr chauvin can simply continue being unaccountable because you are concerned about the anarchy by a group ?

How about we let justice transpire thru the courts.

I sincerely hope people don't riot either way.
If you vote for the politicians who refuse to prosecute violent rioters and terrorists, then you're voting for riots and terrorism. It's that simple. For some idiot reason, Democrats refuse to prosecute terrorists and rioters. They downplay the violence and destruction, insisting that "It's not all that bad" and "It's mostly peaceful, only some people are violent." So Democrat stronghold cities will burn because that's what the people there voted for.

Democrat voters will get what they asked for. Sadly, the rest of us get punished for your stupidity in the process.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Mistrial denied.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:16 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The jurors aren't stupid. Most have to travel through an active riot zone to get to the courthouse. At least one witness has had their previous house vandalized.

A fair trial involves a jury that does not have reason to fear for their safety if they should happen to hand down the wrong verdict. And the judge has shown significant bias in the prosecution's favor.

I don't think that either side did a great job presenting their case and I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards Chauvin being guilty of manslaughter. But my opinion isn't the point. The point is that the jury, the witnesses and even the Defense Attorney have plenty of reason to fear for their lives.

It's not a scare tactic. It's already happening. The BLM terrorists are gathered. Terrorists by dictionary definition: The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

They're waiting. They'll lose their damn minds regardless of the outcome. Chauvin isn't on trial for 1st degree murder, but only a verdict of guilty in the 1st degree murder will satisfy the mob. Even that probably isn't enough. That's just how it is. Minneapolis will burn. Los Angeles will burn. New York City will burn. The cities will burn because it is not even possible for BLM to get their way in all of this. Nothing short of a public lynching of Derick Chauvin will be enough.

If you vote for the politicians who refuse to prosecute violent rioters and terrorists, then you're voting for riots and terrorism. It's that simple. For some idiot reason, Democrats refuse to prosecute terrorists and rioters. They downplay the violence and destruction, insisting that "It's not all that bad" and "It's mostly peaceful, only some people are violent." So Democrat stronghold cities will burn because that's what the people there voted for.

Democrat voters will get what they asked for. Sadly, the rest of us get punished for your stupidity in the process.
It's sad that many of those black communities will be ruined for generations. I kind of do feel sorry for them because these manipulative 'leaders' make them feel like they have some kind of benefit for keeping them in office. The most glaring example was Baltimore when the young black woman (whose name I don't recall) was walking through the streets in her campaign ad showing them how bad their district was and they STILL didn't vote her in.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:18 PM

728 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Tobin is an extremely credible witness for the prosecution.

At least he was for the first few minutes of his testimony until Blackwell stopped expositing his CV.

I've listened to the first 2 hours so far and it's been a bit disappointing for someone with his background.

1. Claims chest wall restriction would be functionally equivalent to pneumonectomy (forgetting about the diaphragm).
2. Thinks laryngopharynx can be occluded 60%+ from a posterolateral angle without crushing the spinal column.
3. Skirts around the idea that Floyd could speak or cry out, side-stepping implications this has on tidal volume.
4. Fails to account for methamphetamine when examining respiratory rate for fentanyl effects.

His idea about the shoulder/hand acting as emergency accessory muscles may just reflect drug-related agitation.
At most, it confirms dyspnea (the subjective sensation of breathlessness) but not necessarily hypoxia.

He's either not explaining himself clearly (belying depth of knowledge) or his structured reasoning is weak.

Do you have professional training? Your comments have a stamp of authority. I just want to make sure. A lot of the posts here are from lay people who went to medical school since the start of Chauvin's trial.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post

A lot of people were just enamored with his accent, his demeanor, how he spoke, and his pictures. He failed to answer why Floyd was having breathing issues before being put into the restraint, which I partly put on the defense for not asking him during cross.

Also, having taken some physics courses, I thought his picture of Chauvin with the knee to the neck pushing down with a force of exactly 91.5 lbs. was way to simple to describe a dynamic situation. There's a bunch of other factors to consider when you are trying to calculate force in real life and he just had this diagram like a middle school student would create. Some were most certainly impressed by it.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A few fallacies ^.

Redistribution of Fentanyl after ingestion (regardless of route of administration), occurs from blood to muscle and fat tissue. This is again redistributed back into the blood from these tissues post-mortem.

Any "reservoir" of fentanyl in the gut was not noted in the autopsy.

Your "analysis" is void of the concept of "tolerance."
You've not quite understood this post, or you've not properly thought your reply through.

What do you think is the purpose of citing the L/P ratio here?

If you can prove that they measured fentanyl in a gut specimen, why would that have bearing on gut levels at the time of death (our caveat)? Remember, your previous sentence presumes fentanyl redistributes centrally post-mortem.

Feel free to disagree with me, but at least given an argument that's internally coherent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies