Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 AM

10,774 posts, read 4,351,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So your theory is that Chauvin might have been worried that Floyd was not dead but just playing dead and could, at any moment, hop up, handcuffed and all, and fight him and the other three cops off and then run away?

Really?
No, that is just your imagination.
Chauvin had Floyd secured, and may have been afraid that Floyd would again become violent once pressure was released.
Handcuffs don't prevent violent movements.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I agree. It was ironic that the prosecution was encouraging the jury not to use the evidence and to rely on the viral video to make their decision. I doubt they would say this if the evidence was in their favor.
But here is the thing, in this case, the videos ARE in in fact evidence. The videos show and corroborate what witnesses said about how long Floyd was held down and Chauvin was ordering the rookies to be his personal goon squad to protect him. Several others called the police on an officer.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Good points. The question is, did they know he was an "alligator?" Based on your logic, everybody that is detained should have his or her neck against the ground because of the possible "alligator" threat.

The prior history of the guy, from what I can see was not known to the officers. The took him, he did some initial resisting, BUT once he was on the ground, his body language and tone of voice did not reflect aggressiveness. Yet, he was kept in this position for too long in my opinion. The officer did not show any intent to at least check on this guy. The rookie cop had more common sense when he suggested to move him to his side.
You have a great day.
elamigo
One can tell prior history from the person's general disposition. Going wild on an officer is always a mistake.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 AM

10,774 posts, read 4,351,834 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-...used-at-trial/
"Information about George Floyd's prior arrests can't be used at the trials of four former Minneapolis police officers charged in his death, but jurors will be allowed to hear details about two previous incidents involving the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck, a judge ruled."

Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What are you talking about?

Floyd didn't die of a Fentany overdose.

P.S. He didn't die of Covid either, though he tested positive for that as well.
He died of a heart attack caused by a drug cocktail including an overdose of Fentanyl. The drugs were still the primary cause, he would not be dead today had he not ingested them.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
No-one's denied this. If you'd read the article, you'd know that an L/P ratio of 5 implies some PMR, but that it isn't much.

Don't know why, at this stage, you are bringing Fentanyl back into the mix. The Defense's closing arguments pretty much put that possibility to bed when they argued that Floyd was coherent until his last breath. The defense seems to eliminate one possibility when they try to introduce another.

Doubt you have any clinical experience with patients who have been given high doses of Fentanyl to be used as induction of anesthesia (controlled OD ). They do not behave as Floyd did. Floyd had Fentanyl in his system but he also had a very high tolerance. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2628209/

Regarding the redistribution of Fentanyl: your study is from 2012. It "reviews" two the limited number of results from ME's site in CA. As you stated, it is a review, not a research study, much less a meta-analysis.

Last edited by jojajn; 04-20-2021 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But here is the thing, in this Cas, the videos ARE in in fact evidence. The videos show and corroborate what witnesses said about how long Floyd was held down and Chauvin was ordering the rookies to be his personal goon squad to protect him. Several others called the police on an officer.
I do understand that and the videos should be used. In fact, all the videos should be used. The prosecution, during closing was encouraging the jury just to go with their initial impressions and outrage they felt when they first saw the viral video. I think that's where the problem lies.

The videos of Floyd yelling about not being able to breathe before Chauvin touched him, which the prosecution has never given a good explanation of, the videos of Floyd kicking and resisting the other officers, and the videos of Floyd continuing to kick while being restrained are also evidence.

If you watch the videos from the initial attempt to get Floyd into the car until Floyd is on the ground, it's obvious he's having some kind of medical emergency that doesn't include Chauvin's actions. In fact, Chauvin only got involved when the other officers had been struggling with Floyd's aggressive behavior for quite some time. When you watch the video of Floyd on the ground, you can see a hostile crowd, including an aggressive MMA fighter, and see the Chauvin's attention was on the crowd when he pulls out his pepper spray. Several had asked what was going through his head and it's obvious that he's wondering if the lone officer, Thao, is going to be rushed by the crowd.

I agree, use all the video evidence, but don't stop there. The autopsy should play a key role in trying to figure out what medical problem Floyd was having before Chauvin touched him. The autopsy is where the prosecution's case has some problems, which is why they encouraged the jury not to rely on doctors, experts, or the autopsy, and just to use the viral video and their sense of outrage.

Last edited by TXRunner; 04-20-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 08:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
There's not an honest, intelligent person who would argue that Fentanyl, especially at the ridiculously high levels found in his system, didn't play a primary role in his death.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:15 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
But what if the officer thought Floyd was pretending? What if the officer had seen this many times before? Its very logical and creates tremendous doubt.
How many cops against one person. The least they could have done was put him on his side and Chauvin choose to do nothing.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Back in those days when I couldn't understand what the professor was saying in class, I never assumed that he was incoherent; especially, when I was paying $40,000 a year to listen to what he had to say. The habit stayed with me later in life even when I am listening to an idiot.
When I am precepting anesthesia residents in a clinical environment, I must quickly identify when a resident does not understand what is going on with the patient during surgery or does not know how to correctly perform a procedure. Otherwise, it can quickly become a safety issue.

Good luck with your studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies