Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 11:03 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
so some loss of rights are ok?
During the deadliest pandemic in 100 years (and when there was similar loss then)?

Yeah, I’d say the safety side gets a few more coins added in its favor on the liberty vs safety scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 11:19 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It ticks me off when cons don’t realize that the USA fared among the best countries in the world at preserving civil liberties during a global pandemic. Yet instead of using that occasion to celebrate the incredible level of freedom that is evidence of, they instead try to keep dividing people with entitled attitudes.
Yes of course, in the proverbial kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. But would it not have been better, to have kept both eyes?

Old 04-04-2021, 11:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
During the deadliest pandemic in 100 years (and when there was similar loss then)?

Yeah, I’d say the safety side gets a few more coins added in its favor on the liberty vs safety scale.
As a judge Judge Napolitano says " the bill of rights do not go away if someone gets sick." i have posted many times your rights during a pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKs3E4w4Uw

this virus is nowhere near as dangerous as Spanish flu. it's pretty weak for a pandemic virus. yes, it can kill and cause problems but there is no reason we could have not dealt with it in an intelligent way. Have selective quarantines. isolate the elderly instead of putting covid patients into nursing homes.

hell maybe if there was some serious ebola going around I might think about giving up one freedom but it needs to be one hell of a disease.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:42 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
As a judge Judge Napolitano says " the bill of rights do not go away if someone gets sick." i have posted many times your rights during a pandemic.

this virus is nowhere near as dangerous as Spanish flu. it's pretty weak for a pandemic virus. yes, it can kill and cause problems but there is no reason we could have not dealt with it in an intelligent way. Have selective quarantines. isolate the elderly instead of putting covid patients into nursing homes.

hell maybe if there was some serious ebola going around I might think about giving up one freedom but it needs to be one hell of a disease.

Try to remember that nobody knew in the beginning how bad this virus would be. The best anyone could do was use the playbook of contagious diseases in order to safeguard the lives of the population. In the beginning, there was no Dr. Fauci, there was no vaccines, there was no history on this virus, or any kind of information whatsoever. Nobody knew then, how bad it was or was not.

You bring in information of how many deaths there has been so far, after you have seen all the numbers. You bring in information on how it could have been better if they did this or did that. But this is after the fact. In the beginning NO ONE knew exactly what the risk level was.

Also try not to forget one important matter. The number of people that died might not be much, as you say, but this is precisely BECAUSE everyone was ordered to stay home and distance from each other. The numbers would have been far greater, if they had just treated it like any other flu.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:46 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Try to remember that nobody knew in the beginning how bad this virus would be. The best anyone could do was use the playbook of contagious diseases in order to safeguard the lives of the population. In the beginning, there was no Dr. Fauci, there was no vaccines, there was no history on this virus, or any kind of information whatsoever. Nobody knew then, how bad it was or was not.

You bring in information of how many deaths there has been so far, after you have seen all the numbers. You bring in information on how it could have been better if they did this or did that. But this is after the fact. In the beginning NO ONE knew exactly what the risk level was.

Also try not to forget one important matter. The number of people that died might not be much, as you say, but this is precisely BECAUSE everyone was ordered to stay home and distance from each other. The numbers would have been far greater, if they had just treated it like any other flu.
As further evidenced that flu usually kills 30-50k per year and the mitigation measures for covid reduced flu deaths to almost nothing this year.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post

More people have died from the lockdowns and children not going to school.

suicide is up, murder is up, drug addiction and alcoholism is up. people who have no money left because the state forced them to close their businesses.

no, I don't believe the lockdowns worked. I heard about someone that knew a 9 year old committing suicide. I did not believe it not at that age.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:02 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
More people have died from the lockdowns and children not going to school.

suicide is up, murder is up, drug addiction and alcoholism is up. people who have no money left because the state forced them to close their businesses.

no, I don't believe the lockdowns worked.

Yes, they did. Do the math. Put the numbers here, side by side, in order to convince everybody. Don't forget to include any numbers of people that did not die because we had lockdowns.

You are convinced that the government is trying to "get us". But they didn't know any better than anybody when this all started. No, they are not trying to get us. Everyone is going out now that the vaccines have been rolled out. We are still here.

They haven't fired up the towers where they burned the people in Auschwitz. The gas chambers are empty.

It's a hard time for a lot of people, but that's what happens when a sudden illness sweeps the world.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

....... For those that do not know Canada's restrictions are far worse then the United states but we could get there. they force you into a hotel and give you very little food If they suspect you were in contact or may have coronavirus. IF you leave the hotel you will be arrested.......
Quote:

..... i sense bullcrap when I see it. ok maybe it's about control and they won't go as far as killing but they are full of it.
In Canada now they can force you into a hotel which you have to pay for and charge you up to 2000 dollars and feed you hotdogs and pizza and stale waffles. if you leave the hotel you can go to prison for 6 months....
I'm a Canadian asking you why aren't you telling the truth? I can sense BS when I see it too, and your post is so full of it you're up to your eyeballs in it. Why are you withholding information? Did you even bother to try to find out what the real facts are? Why aren't you telling the whole truth about how it is RETURNING Canadians who have been out of the country on vacations who are required to quarantine when they return to Canada? Why aren't you telling the truth about the reasons WHY Canadians returning from vacations now have to quarantine in approved hotels at their own expense and are no longer allowed to have the privilege of quarantining in their homes on the honour system because so many of them were abusing their privileges and the honour system? And why are you saying that they only get fed hotdogs and pizza and stale waffles? What a crock of crap THAT is! And yes, NOW if people leave quarantine they can be criminally charged and fined and if they are repeat offenders they risk going to jail..... that is the truth. Canadians who leave the country to go on vacation know exactly what they will be required to do when they return to Canada. It is their choice to go or not.

You know what else I sense - I sense 3 younger generations worth of spoiled rotten, entitlement minded, sniveling, bored out of their skulls, complaining crybabies soaked in western society luxuries and conveniences and self-pampering who think they're more important and worthy than anyone else and they don't give a damn about the rest of their society. They think they are so hard done by because they're expected to go with the status quo to help protect ALL of their society but they don't know the meaning of real deprivation and control because they have never experienced the reality of it in their lives. They've all been living a pampered life on easy street all their lives.

Quote:

...... i cant wait until people like you get what you deserve for trusting the government. oh will i have a big smile on my face.......

...... oh i have fantasies sick fantasies and i know they will come true......
I have fantasies too. I'm so sick of the protesting, ungrateful, clueless, ignorant, criminal crybabies who only care about themselves and what they think are their rights but are actually privileges that they don't even deserve and have never earned. I'm so sick and tired of their self-centered complaints and going against emergency restrictions that now I would like to see all of them lose ALL of the privileges and luxuries and conveniences that they have taken for granted all their lives so they will understand what REAL deprivation, hardship and control is all about. Yes, I mean that, I really want to see that happen to all of them now. Let them all earn their privileges from now on and stop making life more difficult for all the other people who have a conscience and are doing their best to help each other.

What a bunch of temper tantrumming, spoiled rotten, sniveling stupid STUPID brats!

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-05-2021 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 05:20 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
imo, you have that backwards. The burka can be seen as a symbol of submission, the mask is a sign of submission.

It's all in where a person's choice lays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
The mask is a sign of consideration for others.

Here in Michigan, woman wear burkas if they want to.
Is that consideration for others a mandate by local government, authorities, etc?

The burka "can be seen"; it does not mean that it is ---

The question is for you to answer --- do you have freedom of choice?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm a Canadian asking you why aren't you telling the truth? I can sense BS when I see it too, and your post is so full of it you're up to your eyeballs in it. Why are you withholding information? Did you even bother to try to find out what the real facts are? Why aren't you telling the whole truth about how it is RETURNING Canadians who have been out of the country on vacations who are required to quarantine when they return to Canada? Why aren't you telling the truth about the reasons WHY Canadians returning from vacations now have to quarantine in approved hotels at their own expense and are no longer allowed to have the privilege of quarantining in their homes on the honour system because so many of them were abusing their privileges and the honour system? And why are you saying that they only get fed hotdogs and pizza and stale waffles? What a crock of crap THAT is! And yes, NOW if people leave quarantine they can be criminally charged and fined and if they are repeat offenders they risk going to jail..... that is the truth. Canadians who leave the country to go on vacation know exactly what they will be required to do when they return to Canada. It is their choice to go or not.

You know what else I sense - I sense 3 younger generations worth of spoiled rotten, entitlement minded, sniveling, bored out of their skulls, complaining crybabies soaked in western society luxuries and conveniences and self-pampering who think they're more important and worthy than anyone else and they don't give a damn about the rest of their society. They think they are so hard done by because they're expected to go with the status quo to help protect ALL of their society but they don't know the meaning of real deprivation and control because they have never experienced the reality of it in their lives. They've all been living a pampered life on easy street all their lives.

I have fantasies too. I'm so sick of the protesting, ungrateful, clueless, ignorant, criminal crybabies who only care about themselves and what they think are their rights but are actually privileges that they don't even deserve and have never earned. I'm so sick and tired of their self-centered complaints and going against emergency restrictions that now I would like to see all of them lose ALL of the privileges and luxuries and conveniences that they have taken for granted all their lives so they will understand what REAL deprivation, hardship and control is all about. Yes, I mean that, I really want to see that happen to all of them now. Let them all earn their privileges from now on and stop making life more difficult for all the other people who have a conscience and are doing their best to help each other.

What a bunch of temper tantrumming, spoiled rotten, sniveling stupid STUPID brats!

yes its for returning from vacation. in the united states we have a bill of rights. Why don't they force immigrants going into your country into those hotels too? because the leader of Canada is a hypocrite. force quarantining people because they left the country is unconstitutional but Canada does not have that.

you believe the world should stop if people get sick. the burden is on the government to prove that your sick. we never treated healthy people as sick. yes if you are proven to have covid you should have to quarantine i am not saying that.

why do they have to pay for the hotel? they are charging more than the hotel would normally cost. Fox news did a story on this. also i have seen other independent reporters on this story.

it starts out slow and then progresses into loss of rights.

we are assuming everyone is sick that is the problem. if i got covid I would be happy to quarentine. why cant they quarantine at home?

children are killing themselves from not being able to go to school. graduations were canceled. you don't give a damn about those consequences. in the united states, some children are in remote learning still.

these lockdowns do more harm than good. there are intelligent ways to deal with this virus and there are detrimental ways of dealing with this virus.

you make assumptions for people who have a certain opinion. you do not know anyone's background here and making assumptions can prove you very wrong.

old people in nursing homes were not allowed to see their loved ones. some died before they got to see their daughters and sons again. funerals were not allowed.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-05-2021 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies