Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
My point seems to be going over your head. If government is mandating this for someone to vote, people should not pay out of pocket. Have taxpayer money paid for it, or you're telling millions of people they can't vote without paying out of their own pockets.

That's incorrect. Even if the ID itself is free, underlying documents to prove identity cost money, traveling to get the ID costs money, which is less than trivial for lower income Americans.

Let me ask the real question. What problem is requiring IDs to vote trying to solve?
It's trying to solve the problem of non-citizens, or otherwise ineligible voters from voting.

Lekrii, I often agree with you but not this time. Would you also advocate for free transportation for all voters to the polls? I don't see how that's any different.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's trying to solve the problem of non-citizens, or otherwise ineligible voters from voting.

Lekrii, I often agree with you but not this time. Would you also advocate for free transportation for all voters to the polls? I don't see how that's any different.
I'd advocate for anyone being able to vote by mail so that transportation costs are a non issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
What is the difference between having people pay for it as opposed to having the taxpayers pay for it???? smh

And asking people to show a photo ID makes sure we know who exactly is casting the ballot, are you really this ignorant???
Why do you think that kind of voter fraud is a problem?

Old 04-03-2021, 01:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Voting is a right, but only for citizens. You must prove you are a citizen to do a lot of things (like social security, getting a passport, etc). At the very minimum, you should prove the same before voting. If you are too lazy to get an ID (incredibly easy) to prove you are a citizen, then you have no business voting.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Voting is a right, but only for citizens. You must prove you are a citizen to do a lot of things (like social security, getting a passport, etc). At the very minimum, you should prove the same before voting. If you are too lazy to get an ID (incredibly easy) to prove you are a citizen, then you have no business voting.
Every citizen has the right to vote. Not only citizens you believe are motivated or intelligent enough.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:51 PM

779 posts, read 424,446 times
Good point about not making people pay to exercise their rights.

2nd Amendment says it's my right to own a gun. Why then do I need to present my ID to buy one? Surely you folks against voter ID are also against requiring ID to buy a gun, right? Or does that only apply to the rights you care about?

Old 04-03-2021, 01:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting......

72% In Favor of Requiring Photo ID to Vote

An AP-NORC poll released Friday morning shows an overwhelming majority of Americans favor requiring a photo ID in order to vote.

The poll shows public support for voter reform on both sides of the aisle. Seventy-two percent of those polled supported some sort of voter identification requirements. Ninety-one percent of Republicans backed requiring all voters to provide photo ID in order to vote. Fifty-six percent of Democrats said the same.

https://apnorc.org/projects/public-s...oting-reforms/
I had to prove my citizenship to renew my drivers license. It would make sense

Old 04-03-2021, 02:16 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So from what I read here, there are people on this forum who think US Citizens should have to pay money to vote, and not only that, but should have to choose between paying to eat or clothe themselves and voting.

Yes, anti-democracy talk like that solidifies why voter IDs are a bad idea.
Like I said before.....everyone has gotten their stimulus money. $20 of that can`t go for an ID? But, I bet it can go for beer or cigarettes, or pot.
Anyone who does not have an ID, I am willing has something to hide.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:19 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
So without an ID, how are we supposed to know how many times someone has voted.? Not having an ID,to vote is the craziest thing I have ever heard of.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:48 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
So without an ID, how are we supposed to know how many times someone has voted.? Not having an ID,to vote is the craziest thing I have ever heard of.
We need ID for almost everything, why not to vote?

I did laugh at the social security number being used. Think of how many illegal aliens use the same number. All could try to vote and, all but the first one using that number, would be rejected. (Probably even the U.S. citizen who actually has that number.)

I live in a small city of around 2,000.

We have one small DMV office that is/was opened one day a week. Now it is appointment only.

I don't drive, but need an ID for most things, including seeing new doctors.

So, I asked a friend to take me to the office (this was back in 2019) and I spent the $40.50 it costs to renew my ID card. The original cost is $44.50. (Real ID is $74.50)

I have very little income of my own, but I needed the ID - so I got it. It wasn't hard at all. (Just costs way too much, in my opinion.)

I put this out here to show that some states charge way more than others for the same thing.

In contrast, AZ charged me $12 for an ID that never expired. (This was 20 years ago, it might have changed since then.)

Old 04-03-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Name the court cases that proved voter fraud is even something we need to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies