Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Nothing wrong with people making informed choices is there?

Interestingly, I read that Chinese officials are refusing to get the vaccine. Not sure if there is already a thread about that.

http://www.capoliticalreview.com/cap...ne-so-far-cdc/
There is a lot of anti-China propaganda since their vaccine is being distributed in much of the world while the US hoards their vaccines. Chinese and Russian vaccines aren't coming here for political reasons. So it's not a concern. The US has only itself to blame for trying to weaponize Covid by denying medicines to other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I said nothing about risk so there's nothing to prove.

You most certainly did. What do you think a comparison of people who contracted COVID vs. people who died from COVID is? It's a measure of risk - in this case, risk of death specifically. A reasonable person would assume, given the context of this thread, it was further meant to be a comparison between the risk posed by COVID-19 and the risk posed by the vaccine.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:32 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
Yeah, absolutely irresponsible topic title. Someone somewhere will read that - and believe it. Totally untrue.

All this drama and complaining and theorizing has done absolutely nothing to change things in the last year, world-wide. I just figured folks would give up by now, but they're a stubborn bunch.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:45 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
One could say the same about covid and death....how few really died compared to how many got it and lived.

We shut down the country for one and don't blink an eye for the other.
And they stopped flying the Boeing 737 MAX from just two crashes. They recall all food products from just finding one case of Salmonella or other contamination. I'm not sure where you've been but the modern world has been one steeped in exercising an abundance of caution. I suppose you would be happier in the dark ages when people typically don't live past 40 and human lives were deemed less precious.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:18 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There is a lot of anti-China propaganda since their vaccine is being distributed in much of the world while the US hoards their vaccines. Chinese and Russian vaccines aren't coming here for political reasons. So it's not a concern. The US has only itself to blame for trying to weaponize Covid by denying medicines to other countries.

I had a lot of issues with Trump's rhetoric but regarding the pandemic America has to put America first and make sure our own people are fully vaccinated before one drop goes elsewhere. Its not our job to take care of the rest of the world.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
So the article didn't say what was on their death certificates.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:21 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Correction: 1100 times as deadly as the vaccine *might* be.
Correction - that we know of..

There I fixed it for you.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:50 PM

8,120 posts, read 3,668,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Epoch times? Lol.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
2249 deaths with 136.7 million doses given. That's a death rate of 0.000016

Now compare that to Covid:

556,185 deaths with 30,828,216 total cases in the U.S. That's a death rate of .018.

Les't compare those death rates:

.18/.000016= 1096

Fun fact: Covid-19 is approximately 1100 times as deadly as the vaccine.
And you can't see that .018 is statistically insignificant, either, can you?

It's the main reason I see no reason to get a vaccine. It's like walking around in a Faraday cage to minimize the chance of being killed by a lightning strike. Unnecessary and unwarranted. If I were 80 and half dead (meaning at risk for covid), I'd consider a vaccine.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I’m sure somebody has pointed this out already, but I’ll do so again. The article you get your numbers from is presenting them in a way that is intellectually dishonest and flat-out wrong. By repeating that garbage here and using it as the title of your thread, you are also being intellectually dishonest and lazy. No where in the CDC or VAERS does it say that 2794 people died from the vaccine. Language matters, you know. Let’s take a look at the text, straight from the horse’s mouth and see what it says:

“During this time, VAERS received 2,794 reports of death (0.00167%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA physicians review each case report of death as soon as notified and CDC requests medical records to further assess reports. A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.” (From the CDC website, April 6, 2021. Hyperlink below.)

Do you see the difference between 2794 reports of death among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine and 2794 reports of death caused by the COVID-19 vaccine? Which one is the CDC saying? Because these prepositional phrases have drastically different meanings. I think it’s worth quoting this statement for a second time to reinforce what that difference is: “A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.”

Your source is biased and using manipulative language to misrepresent the numbers. They’re lying. That tells you never to trust that source again. If you want the actual data, try going straight to the original source. 10 seconds of Googling was all it took for me to see that your source is manipulating its readers by misquoting the CDC and VAERS.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...se-events.html

I always teach my students to vet their sources and double-check any data that seems fishy. This is why.
Good post, but remember, you may be dealing with people who don't believe in facts that don't align with their agenda. I can guarantee that the OP will never come back and admit that your points are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies