Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 08:26 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times

Advertisements

I’m in Manitoba. We may or may not be at the start of a third wave. We border Ontario where the third wave is in full swing. We don’t want ANYONE visiting from Ontario right now.

I can’t see Canada opening its borders to foreigners until Canadians are comfortable with domestic visitors from other provinces.

I think that might be by September, earlier perhaps for those presenting vaccine passports.

The wildcard is virus mutations. If a new mutation surfaces which existing vaccines are not effective against, I can see the border staying closed longer.

The border closure is not just in effect for the U.S., it applies to ALL foreign countries. I suspect the Canadian border will open to U.K. and the EU citizens by September as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 09:28 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No matter what Trump did some Democrats complained no diff than what some Republicans did during the Obama years and are once again for Biden. It’s noise.

Trump dragged his feet on travel restrictions with Europe, the source of most infections in NYC and beyond.

EVERY country accelerated trials and approvals. It would have been really weird had the US not done so. Trump did what every other country did.

Both the UK and Canada approved before the US.
I do realize you will not give Trump credit for anything.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It wasn't a ban, but restrictions. 300,000 people entered the US from China, the month before. Too late.

As for cutting red tape. No. You have bought into one of Trump's Con moves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...pportune-time/
I did ban/restrictions. American citizens in China were, of course, allowed back into the U.S.

Washingtonpost "source?" No, thanks.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not that you'd have any reason to be aware of how medicines get their approval here in the U.S., but it's a very very slow, time-consuming, smothered in red-tape process. The actual development of the medicine may be done fairly quickly. But getting approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration can drag it out interminably. They have to do tests, and trials, and then more tests and more trials, and so on. Generally, they don't have any sense of urgency whatsoever, so they'll take their own sweet time running things through their process. It can, and almost always does, take years.

I give full credit to the scientists and doctors and researchers who developed these vaccines as quickly as they did. But I also give former President Trump credit for slicing through the red tape of our own government to start getting the vaccines into the arms of the people as quickly as they did.
Let's be real though -- EVERY country fast tracked the approvals. And it wasn't following the lead of the USA - -it was sometimes in advance of the USA.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I did ban/restrictions. American citizens in China were, of course, allowed back into the U.S.

450 thousands travelers came from China from end of January to April 2021...not all American citizens -- the ban was on Chinese nationals only.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:09 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

The "ban" did nothing. There were no tourists at that time due to obvious reasons. Pretty much no checks let alone quarantine for 100s of thousands coming back from the hot spots.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The "ban" did nothing. There were no tourists at that time due to obvious reasons. Pretty much no checks let alone quarantine for 100s of thousands coming back from the hot spots.
Wrong. My landlord was in China and had to cut his trip short to come back to the U.S.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
There were two sets of numbers floating around. It’s 400,000+ if one includes all 2020 travel. About 40,000 post the restriction.

Far more problematic were the hit spots in Europe.

While the US told arrivals to self quarantine, nothing compelled anyone to do so.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I'm considering moving to Canada to be honest... Calgary would be a solid place to live.
Another one.

Aren't you a dude who's always complaining about liberals? Hope you know that Canada's more liberal, overall, than the US is. By US conservative (or libertarian) standards, it's "Marxist."

Old 05-01-2021, 07:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Careful now.

Remember when your country was an example of what not to do during a pandemic.

No one called you what you just said, but they did call your president and his inactions that.
Given the posting history of that poster, I don’t think that you were replying above to a serious statement , but rather one meant to mock Trump supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies