Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 11:54 PM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Very happy Officer Gutierrez was fired. He and his partner were out of line. Good thing Mr. Nazario was capturing it all on his phone. Those two officers could have (and probably would have) lied about how it all went down. Now Gutierrez is right where he should be. Unemployed. If his partner, Crocker, isn't fired, he should use this as a teaching moment and count his blessings he's not sitting along side Gutierrez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 01:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
He pulled over to a well lit spot with potential witnesses. He was not fleeing and he kept his hands visible.

The situation did not require the level of escalation the (former) officer instigated.

That is why he is a former officer.
Police cannot be trusted today, its that simple. i would definitely not feel safe exiting my vehicle at the request of a cop during a traffic stop, NO WAY!

Old 04-13-2021, 01:58 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I think he should also be arrested for assault, just like anyone else would be.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm shocked you took this position. We actually agree on something.
We probably agree on more than you think.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:10 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
According to the documents filed in court including the time stamps on the video entered into evidence as exhibits 7, 12 and 13 the article you linked is incorrect.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...00-1-complaint

But I'm sure that an article is just as valid as the officers own words on video as submitted in a legal filing.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Legally owned guns are just as deadly as illegally owned guns. The Virginia Tech shooter killed 32 people with legally owned guns.
So the Lt was smart ot keep his hands outside the window even while being pepper sprayed 4 times in the face.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
That's the difference between an area like that and LA or NY....the cop actually got fired.

Heck, imagine if he shot the Lt. 16 times and the partner tried to destroy all the video evidence, lied in his police reports and the mayor tried to help cover it up at least until after the election and the only one that went to jail was the shooter.

Oh wait, you don't have to imagine, it happened in Chicago and the mayor is now on ABC news.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 AM

2,005 posts, read 762,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, we are all aware that pepper spraying a motorist--several times--pulled over for a traffic violation is standard procedure, as is drawn and pointed firearms. As is ordering the motorist out of the vehicle. Why, just last week I was pulled over for going five MPH over. I was billy clubbed and ran-through with a rapier as part of standard traffic-violation procedure in my area. We must always assume that a routine motorist pullover is a lethal situation. Better safe than sorry. Incapacitate the motorist just in case he or she is dangerous.
Your clearly viewing this through the jaded lens the media has created for you.

The commentary from the officers was clearly out of line, not against the law, but that part is for the Chief to handle, which it appears he has.

The actual incident when broken down, isn’t inappropriate in my opinion. Keep in mind, in the end, the cops were cool with this guy, how they got to that point was completely dictated by the drivers actions, or in this case lack of action.

The SC has ruled multiple times even if the pre text for a traffic stop is illegal, the driver has a duty to comply with commands. In this case, the driver doesn’t know if it’s a simple traffic stop or if he or his vehicle matches the description of a rapist who just fled the scene of a crime, either way he had a duty to yield to the police and comply with their commands.

Second point, on every law enforcement use of force continuum I’ve seen, drawing a personal defense weapon is the lowest level, typically level 1 officer presence.

If he did drive a mile and a half until he stopped, it’s reasonable to treat the stop as a high threat. In this case, if he gets out the FIRST time he was ordered to, he explains his actions, they see the paper tag taped in his window, he’s on his way.

Instead, he fails to comply after being tasked 20 times. He fails to comply when an officer is standing at the drives window giving verbal commands.

There’s no excuse for him not complying.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Your clearly viewing this through the jaded lens the media has created for you.

The commentary from the officers was clearly out of line, not against the law, but that part is for the Chief to handle, which it appears he has.

The actual incident when broken down, isn’t inappropriate in my opinion. Keep in mind, in the end, the cops were cool with this guy, how they got to that point was completely dictated by the drivers actions, or in this case lack of action.

The SC has ruled multiple times even if the pre text for a traffic stop is illegal, the driver has a duty to comply with commands. In this case, the driver doesn’t know if it’s a simple traffic stop or if he or his vehicle matches the description of a rapist who just fled the scene of a crime, either way he had a duty to yield to the police and comply with their commands.

Second point, on every law enforcement use of force continuum I’ve seen, drawing a personal defense weapon is the lowest level, typically level 1 officer presence.

If he did drive a mile and a half until he stopped, it’s reasonable to treat the stop as a high threat. In this case, if he gets out the FIRST time he was ordered to, he explains his actions, they see the paper tag taped in his window, he’s on his way.

Instead, he fails to comply after being tasked 20 times. He fails to comply when an officer is standing at the drives window giving verbal commands.

There’s no excuse for him not complying.
There was no way to comply with the two contradicting orders that were being shouted at the same time. It is not physically possible to keep your hands out the window and also remove your seat belt to get out of the car.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm waiting for the resident cop defenders to provide a rational, reasonable explanation for how someone is supposed to comply with these 2 commands.

....I think we'll be waiting for some time, because it's impossible to do.
The driver should have turned off his vehicle and unbuckled as soon as he came to a complete stop. He should have also gathered his license and registration before the police approached the vehicle. This is common sense. Maybe the government should make a PSA on how to act when encountering law enforcement. Don't they cover this in Driver's Ed???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies