Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:29 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only thing we'll get from that is an increase in crime.
Are you saying that those who currently receive welfare would rather commit crimes than get jobs?

Given the amount of crime in the inner cities in spite of the amount of welfare received, I would hazard that lack of welfare isn't the cause of crimes.

I live in a country that doesn't have welfare, yet there are no where near the amount of killings, rapes or armed robberies that we see in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 08:34 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Brazil didn't have welfare for a long time. What did many people do when they couldn't get jobs? Commit alot of crimes. Brazil has long had one some high violent crime rates. It's not just the short term, I see this happening for the long term. I look to Brazil (before 2000) as an example.
I was trying to do some research on Brazil because I don't know much. Supposedly there have been several social welfare experiments in Brazil since at least the 60's. But most came after 1985. And the largest expansion came after 2004.

Brazil even passed a law which is the equivalent of a UBI, although it hasn't been fully rolled out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...come_in_Brazil

I can only find crime rates going back to 1990, but all of the statistics seem to indicate crime rates have been going up since then. So I don't see any indication that welfare expansion is reducing crime rates in Brazil.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ate-statistics

The same is true in the United States. Welfare was expanded dramatically in the 1960's, but crime rates rose all the way into the early 90's.

With that said, I agree somewhat with your position. But I think you overstate it somewhat. If people are going hungry, they will steal. And if they think the system is too unfair, and if they lack meaningful opportunities, they'll take their anger out on the rich, society, etc.

I see signs all the time talking about "food-insecurity", but I don't think there are many people actually going hungry. No one was even starving during the Great Depression, back before welfare, and where unemployment rates were several times higher than they are today.

The difference between then and now is that the gap was usually filled by families, communities, churches, and other organizations. Whereas in 2021, a lot of people have absolutely no one. If we woke up tomorrow and there was no welfare, there would be absolute chaos. Looting and crime wouldn't even be the worst of it. Sales at many businesses would plummet, some would be forced to close their doors. Which would set off an avalanche across the broader economy, affecting everything from farmers and food prices to real estate.

The anger combined with the economic fallout would cause the country to go into a death spiral.

The question then is, what comes after that?

Old 05-04-2021, 08:51 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times
Quote:
Well, what we're doing now is not solving anything. Jailing people for using drugs isn't stopping anyone. What do you suggest we do?
People are not jailed for using drugs. They are jailed for DEALING drugs.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:07 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
People are not jailed for using drugs. They are jailed for DEALING drugs.
And yet, drug dealing keeps going on. There is a demand for drugs. There are people who are willing to deal drugs if it means they get money for it. Lure of quick money, people who feel the need to use drugs, some people aren't going to be deterred by prison. You can get drugs in prison. What does that tell you?

Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Are you saying that those who currently receive welfare would rather commit crimes than get jobs?

Given the amount of crime in the inner cities in spite of the amount of welfare received, I would hazard that lack of welfare isn't the cause of crimes.

I live in a country that doesn't have welfare, yet there are no where near the amount of killings, rapes or armed robberies that we see in the states.
No. I am saying that the "you don't work, you don't eat" approach isn't going to magically ensure that every person gets a job. There are some people who many people would never hire. And there was a large amount of violent crime in inner city ghettos before the welfare state got big.

I'm thinking the culture in the country you live in is very different. My point is this. Taking welfare away isn't going to make problems disappear. Some people who are on welfare have jobs, but don't make enough to not need it. Many people commit crimes because they look out for themselves and no one else. Taking welfare away will not solve that problem.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:04 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
The "you don't work, you don't eat" approach isn't going to magically ensure that every person gets a job. Taking welfare away isn't going to make problems disappear. Some people who are on welfare have jobs, but don't make enough to not need it. Many people commit crimes because they look out for themselves and no one else. Taking welfare away will not solve that problem.
Reminds me of that Louis CK bit where he asks, "What is a job?"

Louis CK - Indians, White People and God's Earth

Do you know why welfare exists? It has nothing to do with democracy. Authoritarian countries, democratic, theocratic, and of course communist countries are all doing the same things. And it isn't really about crime either. Had Europe abolished its welfare state in the 70's, back before all the refugees/immigrants, its crime-rate would still have been much lower than ours.

And if welfare reduces crime, why don't we increase it even more? Wouldn't that solve our crime problem?

There is a lot more going on than it seems. And especially the whole whole taxes and benefits thing, which is a big scam.

Let's pretend I had bought bitcoin last year at ~$10k, and then sold it at $60k. Depending on when I sold it, I might have to pay upwards of 37% on the "capital gains". That means I would have to write a check to the URS for $18,500.

https://tokentax.co/help/cryptocurrency-tax-rates/

But how much taxes did I pay? Nothing, because I didn't do anything. The banks play a big game of Federal Reserve money-pumping, making pretend profits and paying pretend taxes. Only those who do work can pay taxes, because only work can be taxed. The rest is just a game of numbers.

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frédéric Bastiat

You and I look at the situation completely opposite. You're trying to rig the game to your benefit. I'm trying to blow it up.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:08 PM

163 posts, read 55,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
No one owes anyone anything.

Every group has wronged another at one point.
Except only one group in this country has had the political, social, and economic power to disenfranchise, dehumanize and in some instances kill other groups with impunity.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
If anything, black people owe white people for what has been done for them.

Inventing basketball (countless blacks have gotten free-ride college educations, not to mention wealthy beyond their wildest dreams), baseball, football, electric guitars and synthesizers. Whites have been the big purchasers of black jazz, rock, rap music.

Whites sent hundreds of thousands to their deaths to end slavery. White societies in the north where jobs were created, blacks flocked to.

And I could go on and on.

In this world though, the opposite of what should be happening, happens.
Oh, spare us the gaslighting.

Exactly the wrong person to be even postulating this - the irony is just too glaring.

Weren't you the same person who pretty much demanded that I express gratitude to (white) America for letting my parents immigrate? When we all pretty much know that you'd close the gates to folks who look like us.

LOL

Old 05-05-2021, 02:40 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,936 times
Even suggesting such a thing is RACIST

Old 05-07-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, spare us the gaslighting.

Exactly the wrong person to be even postulating this - the irony is just too glaring.

Weren't you the same person who pretty much demanded that I express gratitude to (white) America for letting my parents immigrate? When we all pretty much know that you'd close the gates to folks who look like us.

LOL
When people start gaslighting, that let's you know what kind of mentality you're dealing with. Someone who has some reprehensible attitudes, but doesn't like to be called out on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies