Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m actually really worried about India. The US and India have so many important business relationships and of course there is the human element and the danger of them possibly losing hundreds of thousands of citizens or maybe millions
Very true, my last employer had an Indian division and there was frequent travel of employees between India and the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 08:49 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Since it's coming for all of us anyway and we are all walking corpses, it's only reasonable spare yourself the horror... a razor blade and bathtub is surely a better way to end one's life than being subjected to a .014% chance of dying in the case of infection.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
African nations are going to see the worst of this.
Depends.

The median age is India is about 30. There are probably a couple dozen African countries with a median age in the teens, which should affect their mortality rate from covid.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION MUTANT!!!!

Ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lock down, weld your doors shut, never come out again!

99.5% survival rate be damned!
You may think you’re being funny, but your joke comes at the expense of 570,000 Americans who didn’t survive.

Besides that, 99.5% survival rate is not true. At all. There are many different figures for the death rate of COVID, depending on age, location, pre-existing conditions, and so on, but I have never read in any credible source that the CMR (crude mortality rate) is 0.5%.

Here is the link to an analysis of the mortality rate in NYC, one of the wealthiest, best-equipped cities in the world, with some of the best doctors and hospitals. There, the estimated CMR was 1.4%.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-rate/

There are all kinds of studies out there like this one that show a great deal of variance in CMR. For example, Yemen’s CMR is above 15% because of the war and resulting famine occurring there, while the US is at 1.78% for the whole country.

This nifty graph allows one to see the mortality rate and total number of deaths by COVID-19 for just about every country in the world for which data is available. I’ve set it to the US rate, but you can play around with it and see other countries and the world as a whole:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...e?country=~USA

While you focus on your imaginary death rate, maybe you should step back for a moment and see the bigger picture. In just over a year, this virus has killed 570,000 Americans. Right now, the vast majority of cases, including hospitalizations and deaths, are among those <60.

I can’t understand how this tragedy can simply be shrugged off by so many. When the World Trade Centers fell, did anyone talk about the mortality rate among Americans or brush off the threat because only 2977 people died? No. All Americans recognized the tragedy and grieved for the lives lost. They also passed sweeping legislation that gave the government unprecedented powers to spy on its own people, render people to countries with no laws forbidding torture, and hold them indefinitely and without trial. That seemed like an appropriate response to many of the same people who feel wearing a mask is infringing on their rights.

It’s stunning, the casual cruelty I see on forums like this, and the refusal to acknowledge the extent of the tragedy or mourn the loss. Furthermore, many have made laughing at the disease and those who take it seriously as a sign of their intellectual superiority, like the poster I quoted. They say that anyone who acknowledges the threat and wants to take small measures (like masks) to mitigate it should lock their doors or hide under their beds while the “real” Americans live their lives.

570,000 Americans dead from this virus in just over a year, but the people who wear masks are the ones who are crazy?

Old 04-24-2021, 10:00 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,271,154 times
The death rate among Americans in 2020 was about 12% higher than 2019.
In actual figures, 2.8M people died in 2019, and around 3.1M died in 2020. So Coronavirus had an effect, but maybe not as great as we think.
The link has all sorts of graphs and information.

I checked the India headlines today. Things are looking pretty grim for them, but their inoculation program is going full speed. I expect India will get their case load will get under control in a couple of months.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:13 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The death rate among Americans in 2020 was about 12% higher than 2019.
In actual figures, 2.8M people died in 2019, and around 3.1M died in 2020. So Coronavirus had an effect, but maybe not as great as we think.
The link has all sorts of graphs and information.

I checked the India headlines today. Things are looking pretty grim for them, but their inoculation program is going full speed. I expect India will get their case load will get under control in a couple of months.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7015a4.htm

Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
True. Democrats and Liberals have made this thing political from day one.

As their rallying cry goes "Never let a good crisis go to waste".
Dems/Libs simply followed the orthodox medical.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:15 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I stunned this or other viruses or diseases didn't cause more issues over the last decade or two. The academic and industrial progress far exceeded infrastructure progress. Real infrastructure like sewers systems, clean tap water etc. Probably nutrition and health problems from poverty as well.

Best Wishes
The thing is that while India has some of the best minds in the world, they also have a large number of uneducated people. And for the reasons you bring up... lack of infrastructure, high poverty rates, etc. People don't know any better, unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
True. Democrats and Liberals have made this thing political from day one.
You perceived it as political because we had to correct Trump constantly on all his medical misinformation.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
India doesn't have the capacity to manage this kind of outbreak. A lot of people on this forum have been advocating for herd immunity. When will that kick in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies